nomad

Master Nan & Bill Bodri - circulation being a waste of time

What i've found is that emptiness meditation is the ultimately what you need to do. But sitting in emptiness when you begin meditating is boring as hell and not many people would stick at that. But when you get there its so nice and much nicer than energy work.

Energy circulation is good to begin with and it makes emptiness meditation (after your are proficient at energy circulation) very much easier. Your mind more easily becomes empty, then u need to empty it of the energy feelings.

Energy circulation gives you tools to relax yourself. The higher your energy the more useful it becomes, you can push it through channels and use it as a tool to see how relaxed any portion of your body is and also use that energy to release tension in any particular area. It's a very yang way of doing it but for someone that way inclined (like myself) it can be very useful.

Hey peeps,

Just thought I'd add, Bill Bodri seems to be misunderstood quite frequently on the issue of Qigong. I learnt Classical self-manifesting qigong from a chap who lived and trained with a Grandmaster for 3 years, this Grandmaster was originally a monk of Wudang for much of his life; a temple protection monk and set to be a high abbot before his time there was disrupted by the communist revolution. In short, I'm lucky to have gotten this info from a reliable source.

One major point always raised by my teacher was that one should not force qi around, but let things happen naturally. Just perform the self-manifesting movements, that in short periods of time help the qi to do everything it needs to naturally. Forcing it just blocks the natural flow of Tao. This is Bill's meaning by one should not try and spin qi etc. He is only talking about how one can cause illness and blockages through trying to force development using conscious volition.

I recently heard of one person who focused on his dantien and heart chakra solidly for a few months, leaving his hands over them throughout the day. It caused serious heart problems, fluid build up etc. If you look at this rationally, it just makes sense. We cannot fathom the unlimited functions of nature with our concious thought processes. So we're better off leaving that to the subconscious whilst doing our practices.

Bill Bodri never says moving meditation is bad, in fact he emphasizes that it's important for most. That one who wants rapid progress generally needs both moving and still meditation. But advises quite rightly that to try and force things causes disruption of the natural flow of qi.

"The Master leads by emptying people's minds,

and filling their cores,

by weakening their ambition,

and toughening their resolve.

He helps people lose everything

they know, everything they desire,

and creates confusion in those who think they know.

Practise not-doing,

and everything will fall in to place."

Tao Te Ching verse 3 (Translation by Stephen Mitchell)

"Do you have the patience to wait

till your mud settles and the water is clear?

Can you remain unmoving

till the right action arises all by itself."

Tao Te Ching verse 15 (Translation by Stephen Mitchell)

Keep rockin you lot!!! : ))))

By the way, for those who want confirmation of what I'm saying, just check out 25 doors to Samadhi. Or you could even just check out his blog and see what he has to say about Yoga for instance. Yoga after all is a form of moving meditation.

: ))))