Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Brown

Is David Bowie an enlightened one?

he has that one song that, ( I thought,) describes an awakening experience. though it is not explicitly stated, so is left up to interpretation.

can't think of it now.

why couldn't he be?

why couldn't he be?

Oh he stung me and I'm still reeling.

Ah the bliss..........................................................................................................

what about clapton?

i also read an article about how jim carrey found spiritual enlightenment using eckhart tolles system.

then there's Steven Segal, of course. What was that story again... recognized as a tulku, which doesn't necessarily mean enlightened this time around but he seems to be the cultivator type, so I'm sure he's reasonably far along.

steagals 7th dan in aikido

oprah also has a lot of new age stuff on her show and channels

steagals 7th dan in aikido

oprah also has a lot of new age stuff on her show and channels

LOL! Hey on the side... New age DOES NOT mean Enlightened!

Just a gentle warning for ya all!

Peace!

Shon

... although it might sometimes? :unsure:

Hi phore! ... that's intended for all, by the way!

Not aiming anything at ya!

Nice to meet you!

Edited by shontonga

LOL! Hey on the side... New age DOES NOT mean Enlightened!

Just a gentle warning for ya all!

i know, thats why i dont listen to the oprah channel

LOL!

Love it.

But David B did this movie?

Was it the "Labyrinth"?

He played with some glowing ball things in that.

A form of juggling i guess?

But him playing with those glowing things

... THAT Was Enlightened!!!

:D

i might have to give in and see if i can find some bowie to listen to.

Hmm, don't think i have any anymore?

(scratch head and wonder.)

peace!

Bowie enlightened? I don't know. He was aware of the path though, and had an interesting spiritual life. This is an excerpt from an article on allexperts.com by Jamie Soule:

"All one has to do is study Bowie's lyrics and it is obvious that there were many periods when he wrote about the spiritual realm. Not only did he write about it but on many occasions he immersed himself studying various teachings. Bowie was searching for a truth and this is especially evident beginning with his very early work until 1987

Now, to fully understand this we have to go back to around 1967. Many do not know that at this period in Bowie's life he was leaning heavily toward Buddhism. Bowie first became interested in Buddhism while still attending Bromley Technical High School. His initial interest was aroused while reading Keroac and furthered when he went on to read two additional books, one titled Zen Buddhism, and the other titled Buddhism. His interest in

Buddhism was quite deep by the mid sixties. Bowie said that he was now studying Buddhism and reading about the history of Tibet. He also spoke of a desire to visit Tibet and the monasteries. Bowie also said that he was thinking of learning to speak Chinese. Bowie and Tony Visconti joined the Tibet society and spent quite a bit of time there with a monk named Chimi Youngdoong Rimpoche. This monk had escaped along with two others when the Chinese invaded Tibet. Bowie has said that in 1967 he went on pilgrimages to a monastery in Scotland.. Bowie apparently at one point was ready to take the step of shaving his head to become a novice monk. Lindsay Kemp has taken the credit for "saving" David as he put it. Kemp apparently convinced Bowie that he could share himself with others and also pursue

his beliefs. This was around the time of Pierrot In Turquoise and the colour Turquoise symbolized everlastingness in keeping with his Buddhist teachings. Later Bowie also named his multi media group Turquoise. Bowie has said that he was mostly studying Mayana Buddhism which is mostly oral and he was never involved with Buddhism linked to yoga. Even though Bowie was searching for happiness and inner peace he was still unhappy which also had a bearing on his decision not to become a novice. Some of his early work such as Karma Man and Silly Boy Blue contain references to his belief in Buddhism. It comes as no great surprise that with Bowie's thirst for knowledge and the desire to explore the hidden mysteries that his search would eventually lead him into the realm of Majik, Mysticism and the Occult. The Man Who Sold The World gives quite a good indication where Bowie's search was headed as there are many references to the mystic arts on that album. In addition there emerges the "Death of man " concept seen later on Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs."

The entire article is available here.

Eckhart Tolle is new age? get real.

she makes people question their fundamentalist christian beliefs and to view Christ in a different light. away from meaningless worship and more to realizing that Christ is within. if thats New Age than sign me up. I guess anything that wasn't written on a scroll in a cave by some unknown monk is considered New Age. I think most "New Age" material contains more truth than a lot of the parables found in old scriptures which only few can understand. I don't get this fetish people have with ancient knowledge. it's like learning to cook from a book written 2000 years ago, as if more practical methods haven't been invented.

Bowie is one of my favorite artists. I find his lyrics to be intriguing, fascinating as well as entertaining. Also an accomplished Mime and actor. He was never a powerhouse singer or guitar player but yet seemed to put together a routine that would be of superstar status.

I agree that his earlier work, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs are ripe with mysticism.

i personally consider eckhart tolle new age

i also consider him a great teacher. he puts things clearly (which is a lot harder than he makes it look).

i own power of now, and new earth. ive loaned out power of now a few times. i bought stillness speaks but i gave it away the day i bought it, because someone else seemed to need it more than me.

new age isnt necessarily bad but it isnt necessarily good either. Mantak chia considers himself new age.

most of the stuff i listened to on the oprah channel (never got to hear her actual show) seemed accurate, but at the same time it felt like they were leaving out something important. Tolle has it though.

Edited by phore

I figure (know) that David is quite a high level Bodhisattva. Pretty obvious when you consider that he can do whatever he wants, but he keeps teaching. Very close to being the 'great man/woman'?

Yes at least a great 'man'!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry I already behaved bad enough in the forum today. Not going to get involved in gossip again. My apologies to David Bowie. Namo Amitabha Buddha. :)

Sign in to follow this