Ron Goninan

Qigong / Chi-Kung

Who here practices or utilises Qigong / Chi-Kung in that of their martial or healing arts?

If so, how do you apply this practice to your art or healing aspects?

Does Qigong / Chi-Kung have any relevance to the martial arts if so why?, if not, why?

As always, interested in your thoughts.

Hi Ron,

I think any authentic old decent Martial art will also be a healing art as in Energy healing this is what Internal Kung fu is about anyway. You do fukien white crane they do alot of shaking Ging to release toxins and loosens up the body. I would also say the shaking ging is part of the laying of hands of Fukien White Crane through my observation anyway as its similar to Hakka arts.

regards

WYG

Who here practices or utilises Qigong / Chi-Kung in that of their martial or healing arts?

Does Qigong / Chi-Kung have any relevance to the martial arts if so why?, if not, why?

you may as well be asking, "what is qigong, and what does it do?"

http://www.innerpromise.net/qigong.html

as for martial arts,

faster healing/recovery time, and greater sensitivity to intent and subtle movement. the cool martial benefits are largely in the domain of hard qigong, and i don't practice that stuff.

you may as well be asking, "what is qigong, and what does it do?"

http://www.innerpromise.net/qigong.html

as for martial arts,

faster healing/recovery time, and greater sensitivity to intent and subtle movement. the cool martial benefits are largely in the domain of hard qigong, and i don't practice that stuff.

I intentionally started with medical qigong to rinse and clear my self to become more suited to aid others, to be sure that what I send and receive isnt confused by too much noise or friction, or my own lack of balance.

I am sure you can appreciate the same motive when it comes to MA.

Hi Hundun

I dont know what hard qigong is, can you perhaps show me with a video?

thanks

rain

Edited by rain

I just like to say a small story that happened to me two days ago from this current post, in hopes people can discern some sort of knowledge or wisdom.

Currently I have blockages all over my badder meridian. I went to see a friend of my mothers and fathers whom has been doing Taiji for over 15 years. He is considered an assistant instructor to the place he practices taiji. I went to him and i asked him could he show me any practices to help out my badder meridian. I remember in the past he has always helped me out he had always transmitted energy he always seemed like a good person. Within the last year or so I had been trying to learn more information by asking him questions. He realized that I'm a very giving person. So I often over gave information that would shed light on situations so he would know how better to handle things. He within the last year or so realized that he could get this information without the expectation of first me requiring information to help me out. So when i came to him and asked for help with the badder meridian he had nothing to share about it. Thinking his old pattern of not give me information and I would continue to give him personal inside information. Our past relationship has been, me extremely guarded and he realized he would have to help me out with my issue to over come his. Just because the relationship has changed into well one that in my hopes would be more healthier by me not needing to put up my guard or be such a guarded person his integrity has gone down the tubes. I've been to his martial arts classes a few times and he has specifically showed me ways to strengthen more than three different meridians in class! He claims he can not help me at all with my badder meridian. Well i knew if that wasn't 100% a lie, then well basically he could easily find out from other people or help me out but he obviously choose not to.

His reasoning was quite clearly, as he stated my teacher and I are martial artists we are fighters we do not do medical practices. Although what he said might be true but the point you miss is weather your a fighter or not (and with my experience his fighting abilities suck but thats besides the point) you still must seek to clear the blockages of all meridians on top of that you are conditioning your body consistantly. Always strengthening your meridians. PERIOD! weather the mindset is aimed at medical practices or martial practices you still need to regenerate your body.

So, let me put it this way while it is still slightly different generating energy or doing things with your energy (witch roughly = qigong practice) no matter what the mind set spirituality or regeneration (which is healing, medical qigong or strengthening for fighting purposes, or strengthening with a proper mindset to keep what you gain for spiritually purposes) they all use qigong to help them. They all strengthen the organs and they all deal with attempts to unblock blocked meridians (which is what can keep you from strengthening your organs)

Now I'm a mere beginner that doesn't claim to know very much compared to any teacher (not even talking about masters, just qualified instructors) pretty simply put, the only personal understanding between the different of uses for regeneration of organ strength and clearing meridian blockage is within the mindset and the effects go for slightly different goals. For example if your a fighter and you strengthen up an organ a certain amount and you go and fight it should be clear because your entering into a fight you might knock down the strength of the organ weather you win or loose.

I hope this actually helped answer your question... Not to long later my family friend found tried to knock me my organ strength down, and he successfully did this. I don't know some part about me talking to him he felt threatened i guess its the change of relationship where he is not getting the better end of the deal anymore. The way I see it is honestly his integrity sucks and I'm just all together tired of people that have horrible integrity. I have yet to find a way to deal with people with poor integrity. To me its simple I don't want to be caught up in a duality because I want something that another person can offer but i definately don't want to be at risk of being in a duality for it.

I practice Qigong sets along with internal martial arts practices

I'm not sure the question is phrased optimally. I don't apply the Qigong to my martial practice. The combination of Qigong and the martial practices yield a more well-rounded system, IMO.

There are two major methods of using Qigong - one is more 'internal', the other more 'external.' With the 'internal' method, the focus is on breathing and guiding the awareness throught the various postures and anatomic areas while maintaing a feeling of song (relaxed structure) throughout the body. This is the more commonly taught method of Qigong. The 'external' or 'martial' method involves more dynamic muscle contraction throughout the exercises along with different methods of breathing and continued use of the intention to guide awareness. Both are relevant to martial training for a variety of reasons - healing the body, strengthening the body, improving the mind-body connection, imporving pulmonary function and stamina, improving balance, and a host of other benefits.

I practice Qigong sets along with internal martial arts practices

I'm not sure the question is phrased optimally. I don't apply the Qigong to my martial practice. The combination of Qigong and the martial practices yield a more well-rounded system, IMO.

There are two major methods of using Qigong - one is more 'internal', the other more 'external.' With the 'internal' method, the focus is on breathing and guiding the awareness throught the various postures and anatomic areas while maintaing a feeling of song (relaxed structure) throughout the body. This is the more commonly taught method of Qigong. The 'external' or 'martial' method involves more dynamic muscle contraction throughout the exercises along with different methods of breathing and continued use of the intention to guide awareness. Both are relevant to martial training for a variety of reasons - healing the body, strengthening the body, improving the mind-body connection, imporving pulmonary function and stamina, improving balance, and a host of other benefits.

Well said as usual.

What i wrote i thought is important... it conveys the fact that in three facets where regeneration of the body happens. (Healing uses, Fighting uses, Spiritual uses). While i was attempting to educate people that read this post and Ron Goninan that has used qigong and broaden there understanding while Xuesheng explained it clearly answering all of Ron Goninan questions.

I feel that Xuesheng did a much better job at answering exactly Ron Goninan questions and by giving you a better understanding how qigong is applied.

This further points out to me that i work to much on the conceptual and the whole instead of having a good balance of intellectual and conceptual while dealing little with reality. HAHA i did it again. (i didn't mean to)

In other words i'm not balancing out which parts of the brain I'm using and not exactly answering Ron Goninan questions (which is the reality or concrete) that was basically asked by Ron Goninan.

Edited by WhiteTiger

Hi Hundun

I dont know what hard qigong is, can you perhaps show me with a video?

as always,

for you, anything. :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St55DQ6BaaQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St55DQ6BaaQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St55DQ6BaaQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lots of tension exercises. lots of tolerance building sustaining blows. the shaolin performers are the most popular demonstrators of hard qigong. iron shirt training. that kind of thing.

Very interesting topic, just want to share my view.

Qigong is the path to reach to the highest levels of Gung Fu...lets say the so called "external" styles ging is elemenatry compared with the ging obtained through qigong exercises...every system has its own qigong or internal trainings and these takes years to mature ( depends on the practitonar's dedication to his/her art and if this practitionar is learning from a genuine Teacher).

What I believe, a martial artist if learns high level qigong, he or she will be able to disrupt another person's energy from a distance, will have the ability to heal by energy, will be able to send energy to far distances, will be able to raise his body defying the gravity, will have the so called "soft" iron body and iron palm ...also might reach the astral travel....as for the art of dim mak...I don't think any teacher would teach that because that art is killing art, its just preserved in systems only to a single person or very selected few, just to keep the knowledge...these are some of the internal abilities that are reached through qigong only.

I believe there are many systems out there that are still kept in monastries and mostly families for generations and they will stay that way...because its not easy to trust an outisder, but the knowledge is there.

If a person is learning a system which has the internal training, and convinced of that system, then that will be a life journey for them to reach the highest levels that their system provides.

as always,

for you, anything. :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St55DQ6BaaQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St55DQ6BaaQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St55DQ6BaaQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lots of tension exercises. lots of tolerance building sustaining blows. the shaolin performers are the most popular demonstrators of hard qigong. iron shirt training. that kind of thing.

well..hundun B) honey, you made my day. The video was a little repetitive but I can I appreciate how this builds his left arm biceps.

Very interesting topic, just want to share my view.

Qigong is the path to reach to the highest levels of Gung Fu...lets say the so called "external" styles ging is elemenatry compared with the ging obtained through qigong exercises...every system has its own qigong or internal trainings and these takes years to mature ( depends on the practitonar's dedication to his/her art and if this practitionar is learning from a genuine Teacher).

What I believe, a martial artist if learns high level qigong, he or she will be able to disrupt another person's energy from a distance, will have the ability to heal by energy, will be able to send energy to far distances, will be able to raise his body defying the gravity, will have the so called "soft" iron body and iron palm ...also might reach the astral travel....as for the art of dim mak...I don't think any teacher would teach that because that art is killing art, its just preserved in systems only to a single person or very selected few, just to keep the knowledge...these are some of the internal abilities that are reached through qigong only.

Sounds some like sort Tibetan Buddhism, but definately Buddhism. I never heard or learned of such things through Taoist practices. Than again I am unfamiliar with the infamous types of Taoism. For example Mo Pi was something I've never heard till i joined these boards and they seemed like some crazy stuff if you believe in it. I've always learned never to doubt something. Than again thats only because it was a big deal if you said to a teacher or your teacher that you don't believe in that, at least when i would say it out loud. Often times to save face they would have to demonstrate it. Well and more than enough untrustworthy times was the person they demonstrated on me.

So basically I will not doubt it unless proven it completely wrong.

I don't ever fully believe it until proven fully correct.

The traditional saying is :

Practicing kung fu without nourishing gong ( qi gong) at the same time , in the end when

you get old, all your effort becomes futile (鍊拳不鍊功 , 到老一塲空) .

It implies that if a guy nourish qi right from the beginning with those postures, he , even in his 80's , can still beat several young guys with ease .

Similar to its role in qi gong , Dan Tian plays an important part in kung fu

Qigong is used in all martial arts. Before the 1970's we just called them warm up exercises.

If you are going to learn healing, then medical qigong is an essential part of the learning process.

Qigong is used in all martial arts. Before the 1970's we just called them warm up exercises.

If you are going to learn healing, then medical qigong is an essential part of the learning process.

Ok so what do people think is the best medical qigong out there?

There is no best medical qigong. A specific qigong exercise or more is prescribed by a Traditional Chinese Medical doctor, according to a diagnoses. It works with herbs and acupuncture to help change a patient's energetic situation. There are hundreds of medical qigongs. You usually learn them or a basic set, from a TCM college. There are many in the USA, my favorite is Five Branches TCM in Santa Cruz, California.

The whole reason the very essence of qigong is to learn to reeeeeeelaaaaaaaax.To submit your inner tension to the love of your breath and perofrm your movements with true integrity.

Relax into being,relax into your pain,relax into the earth.

When the ocean grabs hold of you and treats you like a rag doll you gotta relax.When the forces of gravity conspire against you, relax.

Cats are by far the greatest qigong instructors.They know how to relax.Thats why they can do all the martial arts.

Jumping from great heights,walking narrow ledges,pinpoint accurate strikes with the claws.I love how they can be still a sleep for ten hours then spring into action at a moments notice.Cats know how to control the tension in their body,they know how to relax.

The nature of green grass is suppleness,they nature of dry dead grass is stiffness.A simple indication of the dergree of health one posses is directly related to how supple one is.Stiffness = tension tension=disease.Qigong regardless of the myriad of forms is to aide one into devine relaxation,stillness and emptyness.

With great reverence to our feline friends. :D

"What I believe, a martial artist if learns high level qigong, he or she will be able to disrupt another person's energy from a distance,"

I'm sorry, contact is absolutely necessary for real life self defense.

I'm sorry, contact is absolutely necessary for real life self defense.

first rule: get out of the way

so, when a train is heading straight for you...

first rule: get out of the way

so, when a train is heading straight for you...

very interesting thread

Ive been contmeplating exactly this for the last days

there is contact and there is contact.

nuff said.

The late Paul Krassner invented the defensive martial art called Run Fu back in the 70's. \he claimed that it worked every time...