jjw

Choosing a Practise

Hi JJW,

Two short and easy-to-learn qigong forms that in my experience bring a lot of qi to the hands are:

1. Xiang Gong (aka Fragrance or Incense Qigong): level 1 is about 15 simple movements, all done with the arms and hands. It got the name because supposedly advanced practitioners start to smell pleasant aromas while doing the form. This has never happened to me, but I felt the energy right off the bat. No special breathing or visualization techniques are necessary with this form. You can find a document with directions here: http://www.qi.org/fragrant/index.html I learned it off this DVD: Dr Jin's Self Healing Series

Here is the link for level 2

http://www.qi.org/fragrant/second/index.html

Hi JJW,

Two short and easy-to-learn qigong forms that in my experience bring a lot of qi to the hands are:

1. Xiang Gong (aka Fragrance or Incense Qigong): level 1 is about 15 simple movements, all done with the arms and hands. It got the name because supposedly advanced practitioners start to smell pleasant aromas while doing the form. This has never happened to me, but I felt the energy right off the bat. No special breathing or visualization techniques are necessary with this form. You can find a document with directions here: http://www.qi.org/fragrant/index.html I learned it off this DVD: Dr Jin's Self Healing Series

2. Pan Gu Shen Gong: the basic moving form involves circular movements of the hands in 3 positions, while doing visualizations, and short recitations at the beginning and end of the practice. This is a "channeled" rather than a traditional form, but it seems to produce excellent results. In fact, when I took the medical qigong program at the Academy for 5 Elements Acupuncture, this was the primary method used for the practitioner's cultivation (although we learned many other forms as well). You can buy a course off their web site, or there may be instructors in your country.

Whenever I do either of these forms my palms get red, blotchy, and really tingle, so perhaps they may help you with your cold hands. (Interestingly, I also get strong tingling on the soles of my feet after doing these)

Good luck! --Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the links! I tried the first set out and felt lots of sensations in the hands, belly, and heat in the face. I'll keep them in mind.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge everyone... there's way more stuff here than I could actually give a fair go at, and I appreciate all your responses.

Best wishes,

JJW

One of the best Yang Taiji teachers in the country:

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/qld/b...itness/10049691

He teaches in various days and locations all around Briz. His name is Glenn Blythe from Huang Sheng Shyan's lineage:

Hallo :) - I trained with Glenn Blythe over an intensive two day seminar in Tasmania. He studies with Wee Kee Jin, a New Zealand based instructor and former student of Huang Sheng-Shyan. Wee Kee Jin bio

Glenn is formidable. He is a genuinely good person. He has a great respect for the art. He showed more in those two days that many wouldn't even find in a life-time. He is also a TCM practitioner.

I was studying at a kwoon that taught Chow Gar Tong Long (named after the founder of this particular Praying Mantis Style, Chow An-Nam). Glenn has had training in that style as well. It is a very hard external style, full of Yang and not a demonstrator sport ;)

Glenn asked for one of us to strike him as hard and as fast as I could. I volunteered. I threw my best Gow Choy (Hammer Fist) at his head. He raised his arm and 'blocked' my strike. To this day I do not fully understand (nor do I appreciate it fully) what happened next.

I was transfixed, unable to move, as though somebody had nailed my feet to the floor. My whole body felt like lead, and I began to sink. Glenn's arm remained in contact with mine, but I wouldn't have known it if he wasn't standing in front of me. I can best describe it only as if someone opened up my skull and slapped my brain repeatedly. I lost all sense of time, space and control. I sank to the floor, and I was utterly exhausted, as though I had just been awake for three days without sleep - my energy was almost completely gone.

This all happened, so I am told, in the space of about 3 to 4 seconds... :blink:

Glenn informed me later that he was being gentle with me. Thank goodness for that... Over the remainder of the weekend, Glenn demonstrated his understanding of the term chi.

This is a video of Glenn teaching if I'm not wrong. I have heard that he is a nice person but I have never met him. So instruction-wise I cannot comment. In the video you see them training in "single shoulder push" which is the first set push hands you learn under the Huang system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s8fogrbb8I&NR=1

Good luck with your search and enjoy your practice. Do keep up posted on your decision and progress!

mouse

With great respect Mouse, that is not Glenn Blythe in this video :)

Edited by Timm Gleeson