Sign in to follow this  
 ZenStatic

Looking to invest in some books

After a lucky break doing some work, I actually have a little bit of disposable income. I have approx $40 to spend on some books, and need help as to what I should get. I have a had a great interest in taoism for a lot of years, but ever actually starting cultivation has eluded me. I'll give some details, and maybe people can help me find where I should go from here.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid, all the way back in 1983, so it wasn't part of this modern diagnosis kick. I did a lot of drugs after I left high school, and messed up my brain chemistry so bad they say that I am now Bipolar, and I tend to believe them. My concentration is crap, I tend to procrastinate alot, and I float from doing thing to thing on a constant basis. I have about 10 different 'projects' going at a time because of this, and have a hard time really finishing many. I try to fit things into my schedule around taking care of my kids, so I don't always have a long time to do things straight. Uh, thats about all I can think of that might be relevant right now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

After a lucky break doing some work, I actually have a little bit of disposable income. I have approx $40 to spend on some books, and need help as to what I should get. I have a had a great interest in taoism for a lot of years, but ever actually starting cultivation has eluded me. I'll give some details, and maybe people can help me find where I should go from here.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid, all the way back in 1983, so it wasn't part of this modern diagnosis kick. I did a lot of drugs after I left high school, and messed up my brain chemistry so bad they say that I am now Bipolar, and I tend to believe them. My concentration is crap, I tend to procrastinate alot, and I float from doing thing to thing on a constant basis. I have about 10 different 'projects' going at a time because of this, and have a hard time really finishing many. I try to fit things into my schedule around taking care of my kids, so I don't always have a long time to do things straight. Uh, thats about all I can think of that might be relevant right now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Maybe start with a meditation practice, mindfulness or some type of concentration practice. This is free and has quite a bit of useful information! And if you don't already have a good version of the Tao te Ching you should invest in that for sure.

On another note. Don't be so ready to give up your identity to what the doctors/psychiatrists say about you. I was diagnosed at quite a young age with maladjusted personality disorder and a few other things. The last time I saw a psychiatrist they said I was bi-polar and tried to put me on a mixed cocktail of little pills. I opted to not go that way. I chose to look into these Eastern practices. I was also a pretty hardcore drug-addict for many years. It took me a while to start to have any type of normal head-space. I say find a practice and stick with it for a time and you will see miracles, especially in your concentration.

I did a lot of drugs after I left high school, and messed up my brain chemistry so bad they say that I am now Bipolar, and I tend to believe them.

SFJane was Bipolar and used meditation to overcome it.... You can contact her through here or youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJane

Guest miss tick

david r hawkins writes books on kinesiology. ive read 3 of them. power vs. force: the hidden determinants of human behavior, transcending the levels of consciousness: the stairway to enlightenment, and eye of the I: from which nothing is hidden. you can find a cure through simple kinesiology testing. he explains all that,& how to do it. talks about the causes of bipolar and just about everything. "the answers to eaCH QUESTION are present everywhere" ~hawkins. i would reccommend these to everyone. start with power vs force the hidden determinants of human behavior. people made videos on youtube about the testing method he teaches, pretty interesting...

as far as books you can buy, The tao of meditation is an all time favorite. Also Energy Work, and Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce.

In my opinion, you would benefit very highly from a book called "365 Tao" by Deng Ming Dao. It is a simple one page taoist expression per page, 365 pages in all, one daily meditation for every day of the year. It is a beautiful way to refer to the Tao, and i've come to treat it as my "Bible" of sorts :)

Sign in to follow this