Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

Taijiquan and Conscious Communication.

I think Taiji will take care of my SELF. and on the side i'm going to learn everything I can about communication, everything from hypnosis to PUA. What do you all think of NLP as therapy?

Sweat more. Talk when it comes up.

that's good holistic advice, but I wouldn't mind refining my ability to talk since right now I can barely carry a conversation. I want to be "perfected", physically, emotionally, mentally. I believe learning to communicate will reverse adverse effects that pot has given me, it definitely slowed my mind down and hindered my intuition. Any other suggestions on the topic?

A solid practice routine will reverse that, and help lubricate communication as well. The non-essentials will fall away.

Sweat a conversation.

that's good holistic advice, but I wouldn't mind refining my ability to talk since right now I can barely carry a conversation. I want to be "perfected", physically, emotionally, mentally. I believe learning to communicate will reverse adverse effects that pot has given me, it definitely slowed my mind down and hindered my intuition. Any other suggestions on the topic?

hmm...

you seem like a decent guy that's just maybe a little insecure, and maybe that makes you a little awkward in real life conversations. but your written communication is great, so spectrum's advice is probably pretty good advice. give yourself to your practice more, and your internal resistance will begin to dissolve. take a communications class at a local community college; it's both cheap and very helpful. most of them even have workshop labs where you can work with tutors and have practice conversations or even give practice speeches.

the only reason i'm commenting at all is because i see a GROSS disconnect between your stated intentions and the methods you want to explore.

hypnosis, PUA, NLP... if you were already a counselor or teacher i would have nothing to say about it. it's fine. but given where you are and what you're claiming your intentions are, it's a little dubious.

all the methods you listed are methods of MANIPULATION moreso than communication, and yet you're claiming that you're only interested in being a better communicator.

you don't have to respond if you don't want to, but for me it begs the question:

what are you really looking for, and why?

because your stated intent just doesn't seem to match up with the methods you've chosen.

EDIT:

i just took a look at your most recent post with the youtube clip. i'm starting to think that maybe i'm onto something regarding your unspoken intentions.

the title of the video:

"How to use the Ahh meditation to attract what you want"

:unsure:

if i'm wrong here, then by all means, set me straight.

Edited by Hundun

I have a hard time talking to everyone. sometimes I do good on the phone. but in general also, my voice is softer and a higher pitch if i'm talking to people, if i'm talking by myself, my throat relaxes and my real voice shows. My PUA intentions are sadly because my girl and I are split, I am very attached and saddened by the whole thing and the way it happened. I guess learning to manipulate her into wanting me sooner is not the right answer. But I came to the conclusion today that in a few years, I think we are going to get back together. She herself said that we are meant to be, and that we will end up back together. We agreed we both need to grow, cause our problems are extremely polar to each others, and this causes frustration. But our mindset and way of thinking is a perfect match.

Your intuition is right on, cause that manifestation meditation video is also related to my girl. My view on NLP and Hypnosis however, is strictly therapeutic, and performance enhancing. But like I said, after Taiji today, I had some good realizations and steps towards closure.

Also i'm happy because Sifu Fong gave me praise today, and pulled me to the front of the class during some I-chuan drills to show everyone how to do it right, than asked me to tell them my secret. I've only been in his class a month and he said I was doing good. I just wasn't expecting it because he makes jokes about my inability to do 100 pull-ups and how I can't stand for very long haha, he does it in a light humored way though. Anyway i'm just in a rough spot, my intentions could be different than my words, I just know that if she gave me some time to spend with her, she would notice the spin-off effects of the many revelations i've had. I know, i'll be patient.

I have a hard time talking to everyone. sometimes I do good on the phone. but in general also, my voice is softer and a higher pitch if i'm talking to people, if i'm talking by myself, my throat relaxes and my real voice shows. My PUA intentions are sadly because my girl and I are split, I am very attached and saddened by the whole thing and the way it happened. I guess learning to manipulate her into wanting me sooner is not the right answer. But I came to the conclusion today that in a few years, I think we are going to get back together. She herself said that we are meant to be, and that we will end up back together. We agreed we both need to grow, cause our problems are extremely polar to each others, and this causes frustration. But our mindset and way of thinking is a perfect match.

Your intuition is right on, cause that manifestation meditation video is also related to my girl. My view on NLP and Hypnosis however, is strictly therapeutic, and performance enhancing. But like I said, after Taiji today, I had some good realizations and steps towards closure.

Also i'm happy because Sifu Fong gave me praise today, and pulled me to the front of the class during some I-chuan drills to show everyone how to do it right, than asked me to tell them my secret. I've only been in his class a month and he said I was doing good. I just wasn't expecting it because he makes jokes about my inability to do 100 pull-ups and how I can't stand for very long haha, he does it in a light humored way though. Anyway i'm just in a rough spot, my intentions could be different than my words, I just know that if she gave me some time to spend with her, she would notice the spin-off effects of the many revelations i've had. I know, i'll be patient.

i appreciate your honesty. really.

:)

i have a female student who's going through a similar thing. she just broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years. i'll share with you a little bit of what i shared with her. and just like her, it's something you already know.

if you really want to be in a position to have the relationship back and to have it actually WORK OUT next time, the best thing you can do right now is work on your own healing and development. you sound like you have really low self-confidence. this is yet ANOTHER reason to really deepen your commitment to tai chi. pursue excellence in that one thing, and not only will it give you a sense of pride and accomplishment, but it will heal you in ways you might not even realize right now. excellence in any discipline will give you insight into the keys to excellence in many other areas.

you can treat your voice the same way you treat tai chi. practice, practice, practice. it's just a habit. your habits of speech will change if you simply put in the time to practice. just like a singer. althogh it may not seem like it, a lot of singers used to suck at one point, but they loved it, so they stuck with it and cultivated their singing voice. you can do the same thing with your voice if you really care about it.

as far as therapy and performance enhancement go, i can understand that. honestly, and many people may scoff at this advice, you may want to look into someone like Tony Robbins. there's a reason everyone knows about him, and it's not because he's a fraud. it's because whatever his faults may be, he's gotten results. i'm sure you can find some of his stuff on a bit torrent somewhere or someone might be trying to sell all their used self-help stuff on craigslist. (i'm assuming you live in the states.) he uses parts of NLP, hypnosis, and other skill sets you've probably never heard of, and he uses it all in a format designed to be useful immediately. what's good about that is a.) you'll have those skills, plus his motivating voice on an audio instead of having to read it, and it'll stick with you better that way. and b.) you'll only be getting the skill sets that are most useful without having to study a ton of stuff in order to get to the parts you can actually use.

at a time when i was over 350 lbs and suicidal, he made it all sound so possible. and it helped me a lot. just hearing one of his lectures gave me the little push i needed to keep getting out of bed to make my life happen. i'm not at all ashamed to credit him with giving me necessary support at a fragile time. i used to be afraid of the judgment from the cynical crowd, but life is too damn short, and cynics aren't very good at building lives.

just consider it.

i study everything. EVERYTHING! i'll take an insight from a beer commercial and apply it in my life if it speaks to me.

if you want to check out a book,

The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence by Josh Waitzkin. he was the subject of the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer, and he's brilliant. i should probably confess that i'm a chess player, so i'm a little biased. :rolleyes:

what you may not know is that Josh is also a tai chi push hands world champion.

i love the guy. see what you think about him.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hope this helps.

;)

That was really good interview with Josh Waitzkin. I really like what he's saying, and he helped me realize some issues in my life in a different way. Now I'm going to look at my life situation from the scope of a student, and notice the process that i'm in the middle of. I think I will read his book cause he seems to be a great person to learn from right now.

Sign in to follow this