nomad

Why do I need to practice Qigong/Energy Work

Ok, hear me out. I regularly practice lucid dreaming, dream yoga and meditate (full-lotus, mind you ha) each night before sleep. I'm feeling conflicted now...with all the amount of reading I've been doing, both in the form of books and online resources. I read a couple new books each week - mostly all pertaining to this "metaphysical" stuff. I'm hounding these books and have developed quite a liking to reading...

I just don't know if I should be incorporating more stuff right now, like Qigong, Tai Chi or some other derivative of energy work. I bought the complete guide to chi-kung book by Daniel Reid and will read that in a few days, but its main purpose for me really is to just get acquainted with the theory of practice as I don't know if I really want to engage in something like this as praxis. What's the purpose of it and why is it stressed so importantly here? Are the things I'm doing just not enough? I happen to believe controlling one's dreams to be one of the most important things to ever do, but Qigong...I just don't feel that way about...at this time.

I don't follow any religion and do not claim to be a Taoist, but I appreciate some of the Taoism wisdom - hence why I visit here and read Taoist books.

Edited by nomad

Ok, hear me out. I regularly practice lucid dreaming, dream yoga and meditate (full-lotus, mind you ha) each night before sleep. I'm feeling conflicted now...with all the amount of reading I've been doing, both in the form of books and online resources. I read a couple new books each week - mostly all pertaining to this "metaphysical" stuff. I'm hounding these books and have developed quite a liking to reading...

I just don't know if I should be incorporating more stuff right now, like Qigong, Tai Chi or some other derivative of energy work. I bought the complete guide to chi-kung book by Daniel Reid and will read that in a few days, but its main purpose for me really is to just get acquainted with the theory of practice as I don't know if I really want to engage in something like this as praxis. What's the purpose of it and why is it stressed so importantly here? Are the things I'm doing just not enough? I happen to believe controlling one's dreams to be one of the most important things to ever do, but Qigong...I just don't feel that way about...at this time.

I don't follow any religion and do not claim to be a Taoist, but I appreciate some of the Taoism wisdom - hence why I visit here and read its books.

Im not the expert here, but Im learning a lot by reading what the experts here on taobums say.

I believe meditation and dream yoga would classify as shen gong - spiritual work. But taoists deal with the jing-qi-shen trinity, so they also need a method to cultivate qi. And therefore qi gong - energy work. What do you experts think? Am I close?

I don't follow any religion and do not claim to be a Taoist, but I appreciate some of the Taoism wisdom - hence why I visit here and read Taoist books.

i'm really glad you asked this question!

like REALLY glad! :lol:

you just gave me the topic for my next article, something so simple and obvious that it never would have occurred to me without it being asked.

i won't have time to really get into this until later, but for now...

truth be told, you DON'T need an energy work practice. technically, ALL work is energy work (and yes, i know that comes across as semantic drivel to many folks).

a lot of people get so caught up in the phenomena of qi/prana that they never get anywhere in the real journey, which is deep meditation. so i would say that you have your priorities right.

however, qigong and hatha yoga share a common goal, and that's the cleanse the body of blockages and impurities that hinder the natural flow of energy. so it's not so much about energy work being necessary, as energy flow happens simply as a result of being alive. but as you evolve through your practices you will undoubtedly unlock energy gates in your body, and if your body is filled riddled with blocks and tension and impurities, it can REALLY suck!

so,

what type of meditation do you practice?

do you get regular daily exercise, and if so, what type?

your average yoga studio doesn't even address the cultivation of prana/qi, so in that sense they're not doing energy work per se. but the stretching and the breathing and the releasing of tension and emotion in the body all contribute to purifying the vehicle so that it can handle the quantum leap as you develop in your spiritual practice.

the basis of TCM is that all illnesses in the body are a result of blocked energy flow. as your energy flow increases as a result of your practices (particularly emptiness meditation), the blockages in your body can become severe trouble areas that can lead to tremendous health problems, both physically and mentally.

these internal arts like meditation and dream yoga are not just ethereal; they facilitate a very real evolutionary transformation in the physical body, and that can feel like hell on earth if the body is not up to the task.

anywho, that's how i see it. feel free to refine and ask more questions.

;)

hey

i agree with hundun, clearing up blockages aids in meditation. i got into meditation last year. i had no technique as such just simply setting and being still. i also was doing abit of yoga.

after doing energy work my meditation is deeper, or i find it easier to get into a meditative state. if i do qigong, particularly outside on a nice day, sometimes remain in a very calm present state for the whole day.

so it helps.

but ironically there was something really true and simple about my initial practise. my own little meditation and a few basic asanas from a book. when i discovered the wealth of information on the internet i did get bogged down in academically researching what was best to do, therefore practicing less!!! when i first started reading i felt like you did, all of a sudden what i was doing wasn't enough!! but i then realised if i took into account what everyone id be doing so many different techniques that id die from overload. so i think find a basic system that works for you so you feel secure and have your basics covered and then just follow your own flow.

for me i like the concept of working with the three treasures. exercise the physical, energetic and spiritual bodies. thats a nice framework for me to evolve within.

Yes! I agree with Hundun and Emily, Meditation is great but its even greater if you have just done something that opens/clears the body.

Also long term meditation can deplete the body's reserves of Jing and chi.

I hear many people complain that they had there best meditations in their teenage and early twenty years. Thats because their reserves were fuller.

My friend had been Meditating 8 to 10 hours a day for years. Her skin became dry, her libido empty, eyes dull and her joints hurt. The only thing she could enjoy was meditation. One day she walked past a TCM clinic and wandered in. The practitioner looked up from his desk and started laughing at her, pointing and saying "Ahh haa ha, to much Meditation for you, you like a junky, haha, look what you done to your body!"

He put her immediately on a very strong dose of Chinese herbs which she took for the next year or so.

It was amazing watching the life return to her body and her symptoms reverse. She is now an avid Chigung practitioner as well as a Meditator and also enjoys life.

You want good reserves to draw on in meditation. They may be good now but are they being slowly used? A long term plan can be exelent to keep all your bases (jing chi and shen) covered

Seth.

Sat Chit Anand.

hello

i think you should evaluate why you read so much. i have that affinity as well, and when i look deep at it.. its just the ego wanting to 'know' everything, for security, which stems from fear. fear of not knowing.

but books can't provide you anything except hearsay. its experience that provides truth. books just give you intellectual knowledge but only when you transcend the mind can progress be made.

thats just from my own experience, maybe you're different. listen to Hundun he knows what he's talking about :)

i personally have found energy work to be beneficial, though deep meditation is key.. and constant awareness of emotions/actions/desire throughout day. energy work is great as another form of meditation, it silences the mind, and like Hundun says clears blockages and as Emily said helps with meditation. Hundun knows what hes talking about when he says that many get too attached to the phenomena of energy and don't progress. i posted a long post about this a while ago

but before you decide to do it or not, i suggest you ask yourself why you want to do energy work, why you read all those books, and why you're into spirituality in the first place :D

welcome to the board, hope you find what you're looking for here

mikael

Edited by mikaelz

As a child and a teenager I had a lot of lucid reams but I dont understand to appreciate them and I dont put effort to develop it as a habit, but I still remember how full of energy (I was boiling internally) I was after a such dream. So from my memory of lucid dreaming I cant think it be necessary to do qigong because you have already managed to dream. I believe that you do exercises to collect energy so you can start to remember your dreams and then wake up in them. If you are looking for an opinion from a user you could try find Juan Li (I am not sure that he has writing a book yet) and take a workshop or I think that if you try hard you could also find a sorcerer...

Yes! I agree with Hundun and Emily, Meditation is great but its even greater if you have just done something that opens/clears the body.

Also long term meditation can deplete the body's reserves of Jing and chi.

I hear many people complain that they had there best meditations in their teenage and early twenty years. Thats because their reserves were fuller.

My friend had been Meditating 8 to 10 hours a day for years. Her skin became dry, her libido empty, eyes dull and her joints hurt. The only thing she could enjoy was meditation. One day she walked past a TCM clinic and wandered in. The practitioner looked up from his desk and started laughing at her, pointing and saying "Ahh haa ha, to much Meditation for you, you like a junky, haha, look what you done to your body!"

He put her immediately on a very strong dose of Chinese herbs which she took for the next year or so.

It was amazing watching the life return to her body and her symptoms reverse. She is now an avid Chigung practitioner as well as a Meditator and also enjoys life.

You want good reserves to draw on in meditation. They may be good now but are they being slowly used? A long term plan can be exelent to keep all your bases (jing chi and shen) covered

Seth.

Sat Chit Anand.

i really, REALLY doubt that is true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

he meditates all day and has been for months (maybe even years now), wouldn't he be "ill" according to what you say?

i think qigong is good because it

1] makes you become aware of your body (slow movements accomplish this)

2] keeps your body in shape (to an extent, i think static postures are better)

whether it "builds" qi or not i don't know, it might make you more sensitive to the qi you have though?

Edited by mantis

i really, REALLY doubt that is true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

he meditates all day and has been for months (maybe even years now), wouldn't he be "ill" according to what you say?

i think qigong is good because it

1] makes you become aware of your body (slow movements accomplish this)

2] keeps your body in shape (to an extent, i think static postures are better)

whether it "builds" qi or not i don't know, it might make you more sensitive to the qi you have though?

not everyone's meditations are of the same caliber, bro. if your meditations arent building a foundation and you're just doing say emptiness constantly and with little physical exercise, of course the vehicle will deteriorate.