Sign in to follow this  
peter falk

time scales

wasn't sure if i should put this in off-topic or taoist discussion, but it does relate to taoism in the macro/microcosm sort of way.

i was watching some nature documentaries recently about evolution, geology and astronomy. seems there is a shift in time scales as you move through different kingdoms of nature or scales of existence. for example, plants (or trees anyway) live on a much longer and slower time scale than animals. if you count the virtual immortlaity of some plants in the seed state, it's much much longer. then moving to geological time, you enter a staggering time scale of billions of years and processes that take millions or billions of years to take place. moving out further still, astonomical time scales are so vast, they are measured in light years. these numbers are virtually stupying to the human mind.

i also wondered what effect these things have on the people who study them, who may have no proclaimed or conscious interest in spriritual things. many of the scientists seem deeply effected ona personal level contemplating the time scales that are essential to their work. anybody else think about these things?

wasn't sure if i should put this in off-topic or taoist discussion, but it does relate to taoism in the macro/microcosm sort of way.

i was watching some nature documentaries recently about evolution, geology and astronomy.  seems there is a shift in time scales as you move through different kingdoms of nature or scales of existence.  for example, plants (or trees anyway) live on a much longer and slower time scale than animals.  if you count the virtual immortlaity of some plants in the seed state, it's much much longer.  then moving to geological time, you enter a staggering time scale of billions of years and processes that take millions or billions of years to take place.  moving out further still, astonomical time scales are so vast, they are measured in light years.  these numbers are virtually stupying to the human mind. 

4745[/snapback]

That's what the Peng bird story in Chaung tzu is about. ;)

Peter,

Yea I like this type of stuff too :)

I was watching some show and I found it fascinating that some scientists have determined that they seem to inevitably find what they are looking for when trying to uncover how the Universe was created! This is something I have thought a lot about. Beyond experience, practice, and spiritual states there is this fluidity or consciousness that functions that way. It is beyond Yuan Shen and beyond the Primordial Bliss. Yet it is this and even ego. Infinite totality. It is the unknowable that just is. Not knowing where it has come from or where it will go. In the mustard seed and in our hearts.

It is absolutely amazing to me to consider how we are able to be as divided parts with different timescales and experiences. What an amazing thing this "dream of life". How amazing the mystery!

Pinch me,

Matt

PS. link to a version of Chuang Tzu - http://www.exploretaoism.com/Chuangtzu.htm

It is absolutely amazing to me to consider how we are able to be as divided parts with different timescales and experiences. What an amazing thing this "dream of life". How amazing the mystery!

supposing we all have the same time scales and that we only choose to see use one of them? almsot invariably we use theone that's most convenient (less difficult, more self-centered, etc). now suppose we cna shift back and forth bewteen those time scales or that we can even be conscius of them all simultaneously.....

Sign in to follow this