Sign in to follow this  
johan

Where is dantien located?

Different teachers place the Dantien at different positions. For example Chia and others says dantien is located behind the navel. Other teachers refer to it at a place about four fingers below the navel. So where is the lower dantien actually located?

Different teachers place the Dantien at different positions. For example Chia and others says dantien is located behind the navel. Other teachers refer to it at a place about four fingers below the navel. So where is the lower dantien actually located?

Hi johan :)

If you want to find out where your lower tan tien is, try this:

Sit on the floor or on a chair and relax for a minute. Keep your back straight.

Then, exhale completely, drawing in your lower abdomen towards your spine.

While completely exhaled, make a conscious effort to completely relax your body.

Hold that position and do not breathe.

The first thing that kicks in is your diaphram which wants to move and inhale. Keep holding your breath out.

Next, you'll notice that your anus and perineum will automatically draw inwards and upwards. Keep holding your breath out. At this point you might feel like you are going to suffocate. :)

Next, you'll notice that you will get balls or tingles of energy coming from the perenium and a place near the navel. Let go of your hold on your breath and start breathing.

The place where the tingles or small balls of energy comes out of near your navel is the lower tan tien.

This location can vary because it can move around. On some people it may be deeper, more to the left or the right or lower than where it is in someone who is balanced. This is what I've read from varying sources.

Another interesting experiment with your lower tan tien is to do this:

Relax again with your back straight. Relax your body fully.

Now, subvocally start one continuous sound (like OM). Keep it going as one long stream of thought for 3 minutes. Then stop it. Then start it up again. Do you notice that there is a connection between the generation of this stream of thought and your lower tan tien? If I keep up this long mantra for over 10 minutes without stopping, my lower tan tien starts to tingle and tickle. You can't miss it..

*Note: if you start to feel heat during this experiment, better stop as it awakens psychic heat which could cause kundalini to wake up..

:)

TI

• Like 1

Thanks Tibetan Ice!

I have tried your experiment with the uddiyana bandha and I know what you are talking about. But my trouble is this. I have a strong sensation both in the area of my navel and in the area about three four fingers below the navel. Now some people describe the navel as the manipura chakra and the tan tien lower then that. Others say tan tien is your navel chakra. Experientially I feel both energy spots clearly, but I am looking for some clarification in terms.

Bye the way, are you still into AYP practices? I am an old AYPer myself :)

love

Per

i believe that the dantian is under the navel an inch or two, but it's not a fixed point, more like a whole area. it's your sea of chi. a lot of your vital organs are situated in and around the dantian and it's also your center of gravity.

Thanks Tibetan Ice!

I have tried your experiment with the uddiyana bandha and I know what you are talking about. But my trouble is this. I have a strong sensation both in the area of my navel and in the area about three four fingers below the navel. Now some people describe the navel as the manipura chakra and the tan tien lower then that. Others say tan tien is your navel chakra. Experientially I feel both energy spots clearly, but I am looking for some clarification in terms.

Bye the way, are you still into AYP practices? I am an old AYPer myself :)

love

Per

Hi johan :)

Yes, you've got it! Uddiyana bandha.

Personally, I think the upper one is the lower tan tien and the lower one is the muladhara (perineum). I do agree that there are many different opinions on the subject. I've settled for two below that I can feel.

Also, if you focus your eyes downwards all the way and cross them, it will reveal the manipura chakra sensation. It is higher than the navel so that's what I think is the manipura chakra. It makes you feel like you have butterflies in the stomach..

Yes, I'm still doing AYP practices although I'm taking a challenge at this time. I received shaktipat in absentia from Shri Anandi Ma (Dyanyogi) and I'm doing 108 bhuta shuddhi mantras a day for 10 days which takes me about 2 to 3 hours per day. I'm also being vegetarian and celibate. B) But I'm still trying to fit in the bhastrika, spinal breathing and still meditation twice a day. It's a challenge..

I've written about it at this link:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3691

OM HRIM KRIM HUM SHRIM

:)

TI

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Sign in to follow this