Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Brown

Tibetan Book of the Dead

I read the classic 'W Y Evans-Wentz' version with commentaries by Carl Jung about twenty years back. I found this book a great help and particularly liked the way that Yung suggests the western reader, being mainly Christian, should read the book backwards! Other interesting parts were the continued direction towards the 'clear light' as opposed to the 'earthly light' (the lesser light) and the the description of the movement of conciousness at death being like a 'bobbing reeling on a thread'.

I've had many of the experiences mentioned in the book from a rather intense drug experience when I was about seventeen (before I read said book). No the drug induced experience didn't really have a negative effect but certainly opened me up. I will relate this experience at some point in the future in the hope of further understanding it. I'm not particularly attached to these past experiences but as my understanding grows and I gain greater clarity I begin to understand what I was actually seeing/experiencing.

Anyway does anyone here have any thoughts on the 'Tibetan Book of the Dead'?

Edited by Patrick Brown

Found this and it looks interesting:

51OB5npzHIL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychedelic-Experi...539&sr=8-14

Anybody read that book?

EDIT:

Sorry to be a boar but I'm on a role so please forgive me (and it's a full moon).

Found this book about research into DMT and it looks fascinating. Take a look and read the reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dmt-Molecule-Revol.../ref=pd_sim_b_4

The things that really tweaked my nipples (!) are the release of DMT in the foetal brain of a human 49 days after conception which corresponds to the 49 days of the Bardo states (see: Tibetan Book of the Dead) and this together with the release of DMT released by the brain at death is very interesting. Also we have H P Blavatsky (see: The Secret Doctrine) saying that in future rounds we will live on the upper astrals i.e. Dream planes. Not sure if I buy Blavatsky's view but I can see where she's coming from. As mankind becomes more enlightened we would all move to the next round (beyond our current ring-pass-not) and a more fluid state of conciousness. Of course we can't reach such a state currently because of our lack of clarity but we do understand that all is energy.

So I can see why some of you might believe in magic etc but that's in a different round and is only possible on the dream planes in our current round. When we move the seat of conciousness to the dream planes in another round we will all have the same power but until then it's better to stay grounded. As Lao Tze says, move with the present.

Edited by Patrick Brown

The "Great Straight Upward Path" of the Tibetan Book of the Dead is crown center orgasm. DMT is released in these as well. The magnitude of commitment to it's cultivation and the concomitant magnitude of its rarity of occurrence are well described therein.

Greatest book ever written IMO.

Sign in to follow this