Sign in to follow this  
mantis

115 year old bagua practitioner

although impressive it is by no means "immortal" (as internal arts claim to make you) but it is interesting that he says his skin is regenerating in a sense

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-9-9/59524.html

A close-up look at Mr. Lu reveals that his face is almost free of wrinkles and his skin has an iridescence to it. His shoulders are broad and his arms are muscular. His gray hair is dotted with newly grown black hair. At age 95, his skin began to peel. Years later, the skin on his face, hands, and body was gone, and a new skin appeared. According to Mr. Lu, now his skin changes every three years.

hmm

here's a video of him practicing his bagua form

Edited by mantis

Wow..... he's an inspiration!

Edit: Been trying to find more info on- "Level Nine status by the China Martial Arts Association". Never heard of it. Anybody know what that is?

Edited by DarinHamel

Superbly inspirational video.

The fact is that our skin is one of the most physiologically active tissues in the body and we all have a new skin about every 2-3 weeks... It constantly is being shed and replaced by deeper cells. Much of the dust in our homes is composed of dead, shed skin cells, or so I'm told.

Raw tomatoes? That's pretty cool. Also his fight story sounds just like my favorite Jet Li movie -- what's that called?....

Lu Zijian never tires of reliving his past. He fought foreigners on two occasions, and before each of the competitions he signed a waiver that said no one was responsible should a death occur during the fight. The first foreigner was an American named Tom, who was over six feet tall. The two men battled for more than an hour and still there was no clear winner. Lu's hands were badly scratched when one of his disciples called out, "Master, use Eight Trigram Palm!" Lu recalled, "I was in a hell of a fight and had become confused." When his mind became clearer he began to walk around Tom, using Eight Trigram, and finally hit Tom's chest with his palm. Tom stumbled backward a few steps then fell to the ground, blood gushing from his mouth. The second fight was with a Japanese Tae Kwon Do master in Shanghai. He was simply no match for Lu and ended up in worse shape than Tom.

In 2006, The martial arts film epic Fearless, was released world-wide. Although he will continue to make martial arts films, Fearless is his last Wushu epic. In Fearless, he played Huo Yuanjia, the real-life founder of Chin Woo Athletic Association, who reportedly defeated foreign boxers and Japanese martial artists in publicized events at a time when China's power was seen as eroding.

Nope -- not the same name. Still same story.

http://www.essortment.com/all/healthbenefits_rbdh.htm

Edited by drew hempel

Awesome! I got such a buzz from watching that, how inspiring.

Now i want to start Bagua even more. I do something that grew out of Bagua Taiji and Hsing-I but the more i do the more i want to explore its roots.

Thanks Mantis!

Seth.

here's another old bagua practitioner, he's the one interviewed in the blog mjjbecker posted

Thank you for sharing this, Mantis.

Does anyone know where I can find this music? It is very soothing to me.

Raw tomatoes? That's pretty cool. Also his fight story sounds just like my favorite Jet Li movie -- what's that called?....

Lu Zijian never tires of reliving his past. He fought foreigners on two occasions, and before each of the competitions he signed a waiver that said no one was responsible should a death occur during the fight. The first foreigner was an American named Tom, who was over six feet tall. The two men battled for more than an hour and still there was no clear winner. Lu's hands were badly scratched when one of his disciples called out, "Master, use Eight Trigram Palm!" Lu recalled, "I was in a hell of a fight and had become confused." When his mind became clearer he began to walk around Tom, using Eight Trigram, and finally hit Tom's chest with his palm. Tom stumbled backward a few steps then fell to the ground, blood gushing from his mouth. The second fight was with a Japanese Tae Kwon Do master in Shanghai. He was simply no match for Lu and ended up in worse shape than Tom.

In 2006, The martial arts film epic Fearless, was released world-wide. Although he will continue to make martial arts films, Fearless is his last Wushu epic. In Fearless, he played Huo Yuanjia, the real-life founder of Chin Woo Athletic Association, who reportedly defeated foreign boxers and Japanese martial artists in publicized events at a time when China's power was seen as eroding.

Nope -- not the same name. Still same story.

http://www.essortment.com/all/healthbenefits_rbdh.htm

Which brings me to comment, the Jet Li movie of HUo Yuan Jia isn't the real story. Its mainly fabricated, and

the Huo family requested Jet Li and the producers for an apology for not even speaking with the family about the story line and how it depicts Huo Yuan Jia.

There are two historical t.v. series, both called Huo Yuan Jia. Depict his life story very very very well. One is from many many many years ago, and a new version is from last year.go to www.youku.com, and search 霍元甲。。。you will find loads of vids..hehehe all in Putonghua...^_^

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Edit: Been trying to find more info on- "Level Nine status by the China Martial Arts Association". Never heard of it. Anybody know what that is?

It's their martial arts ranking system, somewhat different from the japanese one. Basically, regular practitioners are ranked from level 1 to 3 (1st to 3rd Duan) according to their quality in performance of their chosen arts and according to their performance of the mandatory routines. Level 4 to 6 is for advanced practitioners who have mastered at least two different curriculums of martial arts and are currently teaching and advancing the cause of chinese martial arts. Level 7 to 9 is reserved for the really high level masters, with levels 8 and 9 generally only awarded as honorary ranks. ie. most good, but not so well known masters, or those that are still young will be stuck at level 7 until they grow old enough, or famous enough, or get a high official to sponsor them.

The ranking system does not reflect actual fighting ability (as might be measured for instance in sanda competitions) but rather the performance ability of the practitioners, and how well he can showcase the martial arts. Nonetheless, most of the rank 5 or 6 and above are very skilled practitioners, and you will find a good mix of wushu trained (ie. emphasis on athletics and performance skills, and modern routines) and traditionally trained ones (ie. emphasis on knowledge of complete traditional curriculums of chinese martial arts, with ability to teach them).

Where would one find longevity qigong? I practice taiji, after many many years, I will learn baguazhang

Where would one find longevity qigong? I practice taiji, after many many years, I will learn baguazhang

Pranaman Are you aware of doing Qigong while doing your Taiji and are you aware of doing any sort of Nei Gong while doing your Taiji? If so your already geting longevity. If not I'm sure you now know what to seek. (weather you learn to practice it while your taiji or not those are longevity practices.)

I don't know, we qigong warmups sometimes. and during yiquan and taiji we use intention to condense, move, expand, and manipulate chi. never anything internal(yet), during the form or yiquan drills. well, maybe something internal, we feel inertia(chi) channel through our body to our core and limbs.

I don't know, we qigong warmups sometimes. and during yiquan and taiji we use intention to condense, move, expand, and manipulate chi. never anything internal(yet), during the form or yiquan drills. well, maybe something internal, we feel inertia(chi) channel through our body to our core and limbs.

Often times teachers transmit energy to the students in decent taiji classes. You should also show a will to practice and show a long term commitment for them to just want to transmit energy so freely. To feel energy go through your body while practicing is basically Qi. Or the practice of Energy going through you or in you. there are several methods. I'm not aware of many different methods of it happening... Once again I'm nothing close to a teacher. This is basically referred to doing Qigong in your taiji set or forms or drills. If this is happening this is a good thing. Its important very important to equate feeling good in a workout and wanting to do more or having the copassity to continue means you have this practice of doing qigong in your practice. If your teachers are opened to it try and ask them about how you can strengthen you Qi inside you while practicing taiji or doing other strenuous activities. Remember that I wouldn't just go around doing these practices infront of everyone. I personally would keep it more between you and your teacher.

So basically when you are finding you have the energy to continue even though your muscles are fetigued this is basically qi. When or if you learn to do Qigong inside your taiji form or even in your drills than you can gather energy and exercise that way as you continue your workout. One thing to keep in mind most schools that don't have high level qigong teachers that aren't willing to give you energy its best to learn from those teachers or somewhere else to do seated qigong to gather more energy and supplement it from there. (lots of martial arts places that are even decent will only teach you qigong in your taiji in intermidiate or when your an advanced student.

My honest opinion about that is, well i think not very highly of the place that teaches like that. (of course i don't judge them but i definately question why they decide to take that sort of action there must be a reason,. Once you figure out the reason and depending on how good it is you can decide for yourself what you think, but remember things can change) From the beginning they should teach you how to practice on your own seated, standing, qigong that they will later teach you to put it into your taiji, or whatever internal martial art.

Just my two cents...

Hope that helps

yeah, I think I might even seem like someone that doesn't even believe in Chi. I hope he doesn't think this. I'll find an opportunity to ask him about this.

Forget the dumb word Chi... just talk use the word Energy... If a person has a smile on there face and is happy thats energy... I mean Chi is more the brake down of types of energy and is a complete science side to what energy it is and so forth but honestly... its Chi = Energy... very simply put... he can not deny that.

Although he can not properly understand why it is... but then you can explain well you contain energy, and outside of you theres energy. Happiness or emotions equate roughly to the Chi in you and the brake down of you. Whats more crazy is thats pretty easy to accept but the next step is realizing with that understanding because emotions can display your energy you litterly can change your personality for the better? How crazy does that sound to a generalized westerner that doesn't believe in Chi... personality change wierd HUH?

(when I'm talking about personality change I'm definately not just talking about the outside surface but definately the inside surface) So inside you don't gotta be really insecure :)

he has been working with chi for forty years, he doesn't need me to tell him about it. just ask him about it. and Chi is so much smoother to say in words than energy to my mind. This Lu Zijian has made my new goal to live a life of longevity. not of enlightenment, not of abundance, but of simplicity, health, and happiness. Never again will I touch a substance that's unhealthy, or go a day without practice. thank you for this video.

he has been working with chi for forty years, he doesn't need me to tell him about it. just ask him about it. and Chi is so much smoother to say in words than energy to my mind. This Lu Zijian has made my new goal to live a life of longevity. not of enlightenment, not of abundance, but of simplicity, health, and happiness. Never again will I touch a substance that's unhealthy, or go a day without practice. thank you for this video.

You know i reread what you wrote... and realized i misread what you wrote. I thought you claimed you don't think your teacher believes in Qi. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yeah... you can call it anything you want :)

Lu Zijian is very inspiring!

I know I know this is an old post but I thought it was kind of cool! Hey does anyone know what type of bagua this is? He is not sliding across the floor nor is he sunken to low, the movements are not to deep (stance) it seems like I could practice that without knee pain. Many of the styles I have seen look like they place some stress there. I ask because a teacher IS NOT AN option for me. :( so just wondering

Sign in to follow this