Jedi777

Great power and strength with out weights

I picked up Pushing Yourself to Power a while back and found it to be a great resource.

Combining this with Sonnon's IntuFlow has been providing an awesome workout.

that is some advanced training that most will not want to endure--but John Petersons stuff at Transformetrics.com is a way better way of training without getting injured.

Please go and check it out--by the way I am not affiliated at all with them--

Peace

Edited by Jedi777

whats wrong with weights? you want true physical strength? go put hundreds of pounds on a squat, doing isometrics isn't going to give you "great power."

Mantis that is a great misconception and a good way to do some real and lasting damage.

Do some research on the old time strongmen and you will see--go and read the forum and check it out.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/compindex.htm

Bruce Lee used this type of training along with weights. I Myself dont use weights anymore. But to each his own. Just check it out talk with others and see for yourself.

Peace

really? no matter how long you hold an isometric stretch your only working with your bodies resistance, what makes you think that is the same as adding hundreds of pounds?

i'm not saying isometrics aren't effective (which you are trying to insinuate by adding "bruce lee did them"), but you aren't going to get "great power" as you put it from doing that and that alone.

doing isometrics isn't going to give you "great power."

Haha I tell you what come take a hit of mine in the face or in the ribs and then tell me Isometrics do not work to develop power.

Tenaga Dalam is all based on knowing when and how to contract & relax certain muscles to release power and or to produce power.

:) Isometrics with proper breathing & with proper focus & Mantra cultivate a great deal of power.

You need to get your miami living ass over to one of my class young whiper snapper.....

Peace

Santiago

I know a bone marrow washing practice that has similar principles as isometrics. Only you flex from 30 min to an hour, continuously. :huh: Clears bones, blood, rejuvenates teeth, brain, etc, assuming you pass possible clearing stages of blood coming out of your orifices and other exciting things. :)

Ohhh, and you can take a baseball bat in the ribs after 1 month of doing this.

Edited by Smile

Mantis that is a great misconception and a good way to do some real and lasting damage.

Do some research on the old time strongmen and you will see--go and read the forum and check it out.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/compindex.htm

Bruce Lee used this type of training along with weights. I Myself dont use weights anymore. But to each his own. Just check it out talk with others and see for yourself.

Peace

Correct.

In fact its better to Isometrics with proper breathing in combination with Weight lifting & as you are going through the lifting motions.

One of my Silat Gurus does weights & Isometrics combined and he is a FORCE I would not want to reckon with.

Today in my Silat gathering I took a kettle bell master instructor guy who trains with Steve Cotter & Mike Mahler and should him very quickly how he was creating power and also loosing power from being too "external" and not enough "internal" So I should him to add a basic tenaga Dalam to what he does his strength & power increased greatly.

I also showed him how certain sounds when you train actually weaken you.... So there are many sides to the puzzle one needs to analyze to develope power.

1)Breath

2)Posture Integrity

3)Contraction/Relaxation

4)Mantra/sound

5) Spinal Suspension & Opening & CLosing Joints.

Shit I have said to much :)

God Bless

Santiago

Edited by Vajrasattva

you cut out a vital part of my post

i'm not saying isometrics aren't effective (which you are trying to insinuate by adding "bruce lee did them"), but you aren't going to get "great power" as you put it from doing that and that alone.

you aren't doing just isometrics, you just said now you do mantras and special breathing and tons of other things that people who do isometrics normally wouldn't

no matter how you word it isometrics isn't going to get you lifting 300lbs + on your bench press.

Got to have tension and relaxation as main source and as Vajra said sound, intent, weights etc will only enhance it!

exactly Isometrics is still a vital Key.

It is "Bandha & Mudra" or Lock in Yoga

That is a very good site Jedi 777 references

Check out Farmer Burns material...if anyone is REALLY interested PM me. I think the site mentioned before doesn't have all of burns material-the full 12 courses, including the wrestling techniques, but I might be wrong.

Burns did breathing exercises and cautioned against excess sex...sound familiar... He could hang by the neck in a hangmans noose for 5 minutes. I'll take that ability over a 300lb bench press ;) .

Best,

Mike

i would too

no need to get all defensive

edit: scratch that, i won't be getting hung from a noose anytime soon

Edited by mantis

That is a very good site Jedi 777 references

Check out Farmer Burns material...if anyone is REALLY interested PM me. I think the site mentioned before doesn't have all of burns material-the full 12 courses, including the wrestling techniques, but I might be wrong.

Burns did breathing exercises and cautioned against excess sex...sound familiar... He could hang by the neck in a hangmans noose for 5 minutes. I'll take that ability over a 300lb bench press ;) .

Best,

Mike

Yes that Course rules I have it somewhere. But yes in it you see VERY similar things to internal training.

Mike you are a gem man. Sent you some positive vibes earlier today!

peace

Santi

whats wrong with weights? you want true physical strength? go put hundreds of pounds on a squat, doing isometrics isn't going to give you "great power."

It really depends on what kind of strength and power you need and what your goal are target in training is at the moment. There is a reason why top strength coaches who want to develop full body, multi-planar power are moving away from pure gym training and going back to the "primitive" training of kettlebells, sandbags and yes even isometrics.

If you haven't tried isometrics, do a full cycle of training before you knock it. It can't hurt, if done correctly, and at the very least will improve your muscle control.

I like Pavel Tsatsouline for strength training. For body weight training you can see his Naked Warrior. Simple stuff, but very good.

For anyone interested you can download the Farmer Burns stuff here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/40006835/Lesson..._Burns.pdf.html

It includes the exercise stuff from the website mentioned but also the wrestling and self defence material.

I uploaded and tested the download just now so you shouldn't have any problems. Just pick the 'free' option.

Best,

Mike

Yes that Course rules I have it somewhere. But yes in it you see VERY similar things to internal training.

Mike you are a gem man. Sent you some positive vibes earlier today!

peace

Santi

It is very interesting stuff.

Anyone interested in real wrestling should check out Alan Pittman's site and his information regarding Riley's gym in Wigan, England.

A friend of mine observed one of their people choke out an experienced BJJ guy in a competition in under 30 seconds. The BJJ guy had studied in Brazil with the Machado's and was an experienced MMA fighter.

Now, I don't say this to make any claims that it is 'better', just that the old traditional western wrestling is good stuff. Riley's people know the nasty stuff as well, not just the sport.

Thank you very much Santiago. It is greatly appreciated. :)

Best,

Mike

you cut out a vital part of my post

you aren't doing just isometrics, you just said now you do mantras and special breathing and tons of other things that people who do isometrics normally wouldn't

no matter how you word it isometrics isn't going to get you lifting 300lbs + on your bench press.

What good is benching 300+ lbs? :) I could see if you said squatting 750 or something, that would actually have some real world applicability, but benching is a terrible exercise.

Your right! Nobody doing isometrics is going get stronger than a weightlifter and I dont care what mantras or breathing techniques your using.

Why dont the isometric pushers post pics of themselves?

What good is benching 300+ lbs? :) I could see if you said squatting 750 or something, that would actually have some real world applicability, but benching is a terrible exercise.

Benching is an awesome exercise and thats why professional fighters do it. I know there is some kind of crazy mystique about the 100lbs master beating up 10 big attackers.... but in the real world the guy who benches 300+lbs is going to punch hard..... really, really hard. Mike Tyson didn't get his extreme hitting power from isometrics.

And I doubt he got his punching power from benching either. If you can bench a lot, doesn't mean you can strike strongly (edit: without working on your technique and working on a bag it will likely be shit whether lift weights or not). As far as I understand it, deadlift is the best practice with weights if you want (correct) strength.

But then maybe you guys just want to look good...

Edited by Pero

i squat, dead lift, bench, overhead press, pull ups, chin ups, dips, a routine for REAL strength.

And I doubt he got his punching power from benching either. If you can bench a lot, doesn't mean you can strike strongly (edit: without working on your technique and working on a bag it will likely be shit whether lift weights or not). As far as I understand it, deadlift is the best practice with weights if you want (correct) strength.

But then maybe you guys just want to look good...

He got strong by lifting weights. It's true he learned power from correct punching technique probably when he was 6 but it was lifting weights..... (Why do I bother? I know better than to argue on a forum.)

*slaps forehead*

i squat, dead lift, bench, overhead press, pull ups, chin ups, dips, a routine for REAL strength.

Amen, brother!

You weren't talking about weight lifting in general, but about bench pressing. Of course weight lifting is important for strength. I'd want whole body strength though...

But you can also increase strength by just body weight training though at some point that might not be enough maybe.