SiliconValley

The Fire Yogi

"The Fire Yogi is a 47 minute documentary exploring a Yogi who has the extraordinary ability to use a unique breathing technique to get into union with Fire. This documentary portrays a rare and unusual Fire Ritual performed by the Yogi and the subsequent chemical analysis of his clothing & physical tests that examine this supernatural phenomenon. The Yogi has performed this Fire Ritual for a total of 1000 days over the last 45 years. The Yogi, weighing a mere 94 pounds (43 kilos), has been able to survive on only two bananas and a mere glass of milk with a few drops of water twice a day for the last 28 years. Many aspects of the Yogi are on the edge of unbelievability, while at the same time highlighting the power and endurance of human mind, body and spirit.

Yogi Rambhauswami, the 63-year-old yogi, claims that in 1975 he stopped drinking more than a few drops of water each day, that two years later he began limiting his daily diet to a banana and a cup of milk, and that he sleeps only three hours each night. By all rights the Sanskrit scholar should be malnourished and dehydrated, but in director and producer Mike Vasan's documentary, he appears to be a relatively normal, if somewhat slender, senior citizen. Rambhauswami's real claim to fame, however, is his elaborate fire ritual.

The ritual begins with his taking a bath, then moving on to meditation, pranayama, and a ceremony honoring Ganesha. The fire portion of the ritual is conducted over a sunken pit, into which Rambhauswami offers rice, coconut, sugar cane, and gallons of ghee. As he's doing this, he goes into a deep meditative state. He enters the blaze and rolls around, protected by only a wool shawl, and remains there, in the fire, for up to 10 minutes at a time.

When Rambhau emerges from the flames, though, there's little evidence that he's just been charbroiled. Even his shawl is intact, its preservation credited to a protective aura. The shawl was later tested for fire retardant, and results showed that the material hadn't been treated".

Okay, that is what someone wrote. But to those who know him closely, he is a sweet man, always residing in a high state of consciousness. Rambhau Swami lives in the southern city of Tanjore in India, in a small room in a temple. His needs are almost nill, he stays away from publicity and does not know the difference between 5 and 100 bucks. When his disciples feed him, he eats a banana or two. If someone offers him money, he gives it to someone else who visits him for a blessing. Though many think of his abilities as originating from Yogic practice, that really is not the case. Swamiji is a great practitioner of Ucchishta Ganesha tantra, an esoteric form of Ganesha worshiped for speedy realization. During the fire rituals performed for the well-being of the residents of the region, what I noticed was that he really does not jump into the fire as an act to showcase his skill. Instead, he mentioned that he sees his beloved Ganesha manifest in the fire and he only hugs him and plays with him, and that he considers Ganesha as his baby. He often expresses anger at his disciples who are in awe of his mastery of fire and says: Mind creates images and also these elements. Think of it's mastery. For a man of true realization, water flowing upwards is not surprising nor fire from moon for he realizes the falsehood of all this mental imagery and of the falsehood of the mind itself.

A profound Sanskrit scholar, a well-known healer and somewhat reserved, here is Rambhau Svami...

tGj_DlZH-kk

Edited by SiliconValley

It looks great, I think I'll buy the DVD. I wonder what breath technique he uses for entering samadhi and ecstatic divine union with the fire, do you know?

In kind regards,

Adam.

Swami Satyananda of the Sivananda yogic tradition spends his time carrying out similar fire puja, however, the fires are four placed at the cardinal points while he sits in the center. He has stated that when his concentration is lost he gets burned and blistered, yet, as soon as the concentration is reestablished, the blistering instantly heals.

In kind regards,

Adam.

It looks great, I think I'll buy the DVD. I wonder what breath technique he uses for entering samadhi and ecstatic divine union with the fire, do you know?

In kind regards,

Adam.

It really is not any specific breathing technque. It is, according to him, the power of his mantra and the deity. Unlike Satyananda's case where he has to specifically concentrate to awaken this power of mastery over fire, here there is no effort. There is an overpowering sense of love for the deity [Ganesh] here and the it is the deity who seems to be taking care of this man. There is no pressure to perform, no focus on results or no worry on getting burnt. He lets go in love! :)

And he has practiced the mantra of the deity from the age of 12 for decades...

Edited by SiliconValley

It's very impressive and extraordinary it's just one thing I don't get - he says that he is doing it for the world's peace ? He must not be rolling in fire long enough....

It's very impressive and extraordinary it's just one thing I don't get - he says that he is doing it for the world's peace ? He must not be rolling in fire long enough....

The fire ritual he is performing is called Homa, a miniature form of the Vedic Yajna, that is typically performed for the well-being of the people in that region, for health, peace etc. The rolling part is just something that is not a part of the ritual and it "happens", when he let's go at the peak of the ritual. Now, how do you know his ritual did not add one wee bit to world's peace? :D

The fire ritual he is performing is called Homa, a miniature form of the Vedic Yajna, that is typically performed for the well-being of the people in that region, for health, peace etc. The rolling part is just something that is not a part of the ritual and it "happens", when he let's go at the peak of the ritual. Now, how do you know his ritual did not add one wee bit to world's peace? :D

Thx for the extra explanation bro - I'm pretty sure a man with his power has quite a strong and beneficial influence on his surroundings - it's just that with my pragmatism I am thinking at a different scale for example if he taught me how to do that I would probably become a fireman or smth.....

Thx for the extra explanation bro - I'm pretty sure a man with his power has quite a strong and beneficial influence on his surroundings - it's just that with my pragmatism I am thinking at a different scale for example if he taught me how to do that I would probably become a fireman or smth.....

He does teach.

- Leave a simple life eating nothing or a little

- Practice the mantra for 11 hours a day

- Harm none by thoughts, words or deeds.

- Study the scriptures...

And then these powers, including his power to heal, manifest. One can learn from him for free but he chooses who he teaches...

What a coincidence! I planned a trip to India and Nepal later this year and visiting the Fire Yogi is on my cards. SV helped me get his details, he lives way down south but if things work well, I want to study with him. He speaks a little English is what I am told. So if things work as planned, I will report my experiences with the man. :)

For anyone interested, I am uploading the missing link:

http://www.indiadivine.org/articles/464/1/The-Fire-Yogi-of-Tanjore/Page1.html

The burning vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Quang Duc, who protested against the persecution of Buddhists also had a control over fire, but in that case he consciously used that siddhi to leave this astral plane.

Edited by durkhrod chogori