Sign in to follow this  
styrofoamdog

Cheng Man-Ching and Microcosmic Orbit

I just noticed that on YouTube there is a short clip of Cheng Man-Ching discussing Microcosmic Orbit and its role in Taijiquan, through a translator. Cheng just discusses opening the path and how it facilitates qi flow for movements. I thought that it was very interesting, since he never really discussed this in his books, and I assumed that he only discussed such things with certain students.

I never would have suspected that there would be video with sound, of him discussing these things openly.

I just noticed that on YouTube there is a short clip of Cheng Man-Ching discussing Microcosmic Orbit and its role in Taijiquan, through a translator. Cheng just discusses opening the path and how it facilitates qi flow for movements. I thought that it was very interesting, since he never really discussed this in his books, and I assumed that he only discussed such things with certain students.

I never would have suspected that there would be video with sound, of him discussing these things openly.

He probably didn't every anticipate something like You Tube every appearing.

I recall an interview with one of his Chinese disciples some years back. The student said that Cheng deliberately held stuff back from his non-Chinese students.

I have never heard him speak like that before.... not in his books or in his students books. :o

Thanks for sharing that video!

I have never heard him speak like that before.... not in his books or in his students books. :o

Thanks for sharing that video!

Yeah, this video was also the first time I heard him speak. It was really an eye-opener for me to hear him discussing real internal principles and the importance of Microcosmic Orbit so frankly. I remember one of his books as being my first introduction to Taijiquan. I was a bit disappointed at the time that the book didn't discuss how to use it for self-defense or how to build up qi and circulate it. Later on, I just dismissed these books as not having a lot of depth. But I guess this was only because he was a more secretive master. In contrast, Da Liu was also an early Taijiquan teacher in the U.S., but explained internal principles of practice openly in his books.

Sign in to follow this