Jing Attiig

What is Taoism to you?

It will be interesting to observe how Tao has manifested as ones understanding of reality/tao... please feel free to post your response to the question . . . What is Taoism to you?

Jing

Edited by Jing Attiig

Well before anyone else says it........ the Tao that can be talked about, is not the eternal Tao. :P Just kidding!

Taoism to me is the search for immortalitiy.

Well before anyone else says it........ the Tao that can be talked about, is not the eternal Tao. :P Just kidding!

have you found it yet?

Edited by Jing Attiig

Why? Dont you want death.

It will be interesting to observe how Tao has manifested as ones understanding of reality/tao... please feel free to post your response to the question . . . What is Taoism to you?

Jing

Intimately knowing the seasons.

Some of us live presently and we know death as life

some of us live presently and we know death as life and chose to continue on

Have been gifted to know many who have chose to live,

many in their 90's & quite a few over a century, when they left

they were ready.

And have known some very young ones

far wiser than this child will ever be when they said farewell.

It is a very personal decision/point to come to.

One we make with every breath.

What of U Z3N?

Is it a matter of want?

For this skin bag it is, when "I" am ready it will be time. :D

Though there is a lose goal now of four more years or so!

What of you Z3N?

What do you think of immortality or enlightenment?

Stay well!

Shon

Jing

Tao to me? A mystery.

I am not sure if I will ever recognize the tao for what it is, or if I will fall into the human fault of seeing what I want to see and calling it the tao. The only thing I can do is try to keep an open mind.

Most interesting to observe Tao,

knowing it is all these things,

but none alone, all as one.

A thank you for all answers given, please continue to post your reply's.

Jing

have you found it yet?

Maybe....

I want immortality for itself and not because of any thought of fear of... or avoiding death. It's like wanting a Mustang for the sake of a Mustang and not because your dont want a Corvette. I want immortality. I want to live forever. My life is great and I want to make it even greater by seeing every place on this planet, exploring every joy and then in a couple centuries perhaps going out into the stars.

When I was a kid my dad said the ultimate acheivement a person could do was union with God and the highest union was ascension like Enoch and Elijah. Since then (about 10-12yrs old) I have been on a mission. Before that my goal was to rule the world. I was born with a healthy dose of ambition.... and this is my Tao.

i dunno what it is, i strive to discover what it could be, everyday something fresh comes up

"a romance with knowledge" CC

Taoism is the cultivation of the Tau.

Since the Tau is beyond understanding and words, one may meditate on understanding what it is not.

Tau is non-dual in it's nature and so will never be realized through any practice employing a dualist approach, ie. a discriminating mind.

Therefore, the mortal mind which functions in the discriminating mode is incapable to realize the Tau. When one understands that knowledge derived from discrimination is nothing more than a mental construction (conceptualization) of the real, and one ceases this activity, the real real that was there all along is revealed.

My present understanding is that when the Tau is realized, an immortal is born and a mortal dies.

Since you did not ask what 'tao' is, but rather 'taoism'.. Let me put in my 2$..

It is non-dogmatic 'Being', most fundamentally. Next comes understanding this 'Being' through transcendental meditation and the I Ching and science and that sort of thing. (enlightenment, bliss, immortality and that sort of thing are just tangent byproducts of this understanding..)

. . . What is Taoism to you?

Science. (Not "a science.")

Here's its first axiom:

This is Hetu. The second axiom is Luoshu. They are taoism. All the rest is fringe benefits. Qigong, ice cream, Laozi, gunpowder, printing, silk, civilization. Alchemy, chemistry, biophysics, immortality. Jade Emperor, bedchamber arts, calligraphy, humanitarianism. Quan Di, acupuncture, the art of cooking, the Mysterious Female. Wen-tzu, political dissidence, Genghis Khan's respect for nothing else in the world. Expeditions around the world without conquest, for the study of animals of the world. Blue robes with scarlet clouds. Mastery of Time. I could go on and on for ten thousand li.

Taoism is the biggest baddest science of life, and to refuse to learn it is to paint oneself into the dullest dustiest corner of the universe --

quite possibly forever.

Now tao is not taoism. Tao is what taoism studies. When you watch TV, you're looking at tao, believe it or not; but taoism is what enables you to see it. Unlike the human movie you're watching, tao's movie can only be seen with everything you are, not with your eyes and not with your mind and not with your heart and not with any other part. The whole point is, it's not a part of anything. You are it but for all practical purposes it doesn't matter. Tao is irrelevant. Taoism is what civilized humans do with it, there's nothing else that can be done or not done with it by a civilized human. Tao is normal; taoism is the how-to of normalizing yourself. Once YOU are normal, tao is you, you are tao, there's nothing to talk about, nothing to practice, contemplate, aim for, do or not do. You know tao when you're whole. If you're ever whole. And a big "if" it is for a civilized human. Taoism is the know-how of normal, is all it is, is everything it is. Other ways is ten thousand ways of processing an abnormal state; while taoism is ten thousand ways to normalize.

Wow! Now you've got me curious. Where is the tenth number? Shouldn't there be ten? I will investigate.

I still think Western ways can hold their own--we have catching up to do since our system has only completed several years ago. There will be a lot of sudden changes in the Western world in the next decade, some sudden catching up to do! The Western way is on 12, and now finally there are 12 found. Actually technically 13, but in usage acts like 12.

Very confusing! 1 water, 1 fire, 3 earth, 2 wood, 2 metal :blink: Although I think I just figured out how the two systems fit together, I have to do a little more research to be sure.