Sign in to follow this  
nomad

What's the consensus on a back rest?

I'd just like to know what everyones' general feelings are on a backrest when meditating, is it too far removed from being natural? I like to sit in full-lotus/half-lotus in a hard-wood, handleless computer chair when meditating or practicing the microcosmic orbit. I have my back leaning up against the rest in a fairly straight position - just want to know if anybody finds this to be a hindrance in meditation...?

I personally feel better doing it this way, as it is hard for me to keep my spine straight without a backrest/wall/whatever and then my focus is usually on trying to keep my spine straight which takes away from my breathing concentration.

keep working at it and get your spine straight :) a crutch is a crutch is a crutch - it helps you get around, but its to be discarded when no longer needed.

keep working at it and get your spine straight :) a crutch is a crutch is a crutch - it helps you get around, but its to be discarded when no longer needed.

Right on, bruva.

Purists would say you don't need it, keep practicing and you'll get there.

Pessimists would say you need it, so keep it.

Realists would say that you'll need it to begin with but in time your posture will improve, and when it does you should discard it.

Realists have wise advice :)

Edited by .broken.

my super destructo back has forced me to maintain good posture :) I have tried using a back rest, but found it to be uncomfortable - my connective tissue where my injury is just plain sucks, so "relaxing" in that manner isnt relaxing, its just putting stress on the weakest link...much easier to prop my bones up on top of one another...get used to that and when you do have the back rest, you're not feeling like you're sitting straight if you use it!

Sign in to follow this