Pranaman

bruce lee for strength

I just got a book all about Bruce Lee's workouts...

Would his type of strength be what I'm looking for in t'ai chi and i-chuan, or is it too bulky? right now i'm just doing pushups, pullups, types of crunches, and standing as my teacher has instructed.

Bruce Lee was....Bruce Lee.

Both taijiquan and yiquan have within them various methods taught systematically that lead to the developement of the strength(s) necessary for one to be considered successful in the training. They include but are not limited to zhan zhuang, meditation, qigong, and the long pole. Rather than use weights to strengthen the body they use the body and the yi(intent). The two systems have more in common than they do differences.

Anyone teaching either of the two arts should be able to give you all the strength training that you need using the traditional practices. Explosive force / fa jing included.

If he doesn't teach them then he either.

a) Never learned them

or

B) Doesn't want to teach them.

If either of the above apply and you are learning taiji for more than just health then look for a new teacher.

John

:lol: It is rumored that even Oyama was taught a lesson by a Chen stylist in Hong Kong

http://www.crane.50megs.com/index6j.htm

yes it is about exercise, the question is what kind of exercise? internal or external? Qi or Li? or both?

If you find that interesting, then you should read about the late Wang Peisheng and his encounter with the Shorinji Kempo master:

www.ycgf.org/WPS_Eulogy/WPS_Eulogy.html

A friend of mine has done business over the years in Japan. One of the people he met was a Japanese student of Wang Peisheng. Wang had a tremendous reputation in Japan due to his encounter with the Shorinji Kempo people, so I know from other sources that this article isn't just one sides view.

:lol: It is rumored that even Oyama was taught a lesson by a Chen stylist in Hong Kong

http://www.crane.50megs.com/index6j.htm

That is a very interesting article and a great story, it's the first time I've ever heard that. I wonder if it's true though. I hope it is...

Being a martial artist is not about knowing how to fight, or being a good fighter.

Kung Fu is about life. It is about knowing who you are and what you are capable of, "truly expressing ones-self".

True martial arts leads to a greater understanding of yourself, a greater understanding of Tao.

Kung Fu is not about fighting someone else. It is about developing and evolving yourself to be the best that you can be in all situations, very similar to taoist self-cultivation.

Jing

Hi Jing. Love whats being composed here, hitting the nail on the head.

well, my teacher is definitley a very good teacher. he has taught standing(which is a really great workout), and an assortment of strength conditioning to gain the type of raw strength taijiquan and kung-fu require. He wants his students to gain strength and health before he starts to teach them kung-fu and I-chuan(even though he teaches I-chuan principles in all classes). I believe this is his intent. Anyway, he wants us to do as many pull-ups as possible, but I my history has only given me the strength to do one pull-up. The main muscle used in pulling up is the latissimus dorsi, so would an exercise like these help me build up to being able to do more?

Bent-Over Row

Deadlift

For now I will do as many one reps as I can in a day, and due it incredibly slow on the way down.

He also has us do knuckle pushups, I have open cuts on both hands, if I continue to open these up(i bled on the floor last class) will it build deeper calusses?

I didn't expect such basic strength workouts but it all makes sense now. I definitely found the right guy to teach me taijiquan for more than just health.

also, when he is doing the form, he does so many fast pop and locks it's insane, so many tons of subtle movements it's hard to believe i'll ever be that coordinated and fast.

Edited by Pranaman

i want explosive speed and power. i also don't want bulk muscle to get in my way after years of doing whatever training I decided to switch to from this point.

Then cultivate Wing Chun :)

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

I thought the reason he (Bruce Lee) did not complete the Wing Chun series, was due to the fact that he moved to the USA to study & his Sifu, Grandmaster Yip Chun, would not go to the states to teach him the remaining forms.

Have U spoken to Ur Sifu??? Ask about some Internal exercises & take it from there.

How strong do U want to be??? How many hours do U wish to train per day? ;)

I thought the reason he (Bruce Lee) did not complete the Wing Chun series, was due to the fact that he moved to the USA to study & his Sifu, Grandmaster Yip Chun, would not go to the states to teach him the remaining forms.

Have U spoken to Ur Sifu??? Ask about some Internal exercises & take it from there.

How strong do U want to be??? How many hours do U wish to train per day? ;)

he got in to a bad fight in China with a guy that actually lives now in GA and teaches real Hop Ga. The guy used to be a "collector" for gangs etc & he beat Bruce badly. His father asked him to leave to the USA for safety issues.

He was kicked out of the Wing chun school cause he was cocky & also going behind Yip mans back to learn from the more advanced seniors.

But hey I can understand Bruce just wanted to get ahead and move further along the path.

On a side note the best warriors have once tasted defeat in order to understand and digest what is need to improve their skill.

Peace

Santi

Edited by Vajrasattva

Guest sykkelpump

he got in to a bad fight in China with a guy that actually lives now in GA and teaches real Hop Ga. The guy used to be a "collector" for gangs etc & he beat Bruce badly. His father asked him to leave to the USA for safety issues.

He was kicked out of the Wing chun school cause he was cocky & also going behind Yip mans back to learn from the more advanced seniors.

But hey I can understand Bruce just wanted to get ahead and move further along the path.

On a side note the best warriors have once tasted defeat in order to understand and digest what is need to improve their skill.

Peace

Santi

Bruce did beat a man badly,and got in trouble with the police.thats why he left.not because he got beaten

Edited by sykkelpump

i want to be soft and solid, not strong. Maybe a loose strength.

I also just want to be able to do more than one pull-up so I can actually use it as an exercise, that's all. I've been doing scattered sets of 1 throughout the day. There has got to be a better way. Sifu Fong wants me to be able to do 100 pull-ups. I can do 1, haha he thought I was joking at first.

I don't think anybody cares about Bruce Lee's way. He seems ignant, fast, and strong. Let's move on to the next issue.

Would doing an exercise that isn't the same motion as pull-ups but works the same muscles help me?

if you want to become better at pull ups, do pull ups

a basic strength routine that i use is

http://www.stronglifts.com

edit: on rest days or weekends you can do push ups if you want since the above program is more for strength not endurance (push ups).

Edited by mantis

Bruce did beat a man badly,and got in trouble with the police.thats why he left.not because he got beaten

Look I can put you in contact with the Sifu that kicked his ass. You can go see for yourself this guy. He is EXTREMELY HIGH LEVEL.

I do not Deny that bruce was great on some levels but there is always someone better out there.

Bruce had actually issues with the "gangs" in china aswell.

He had to leave to the US for many reasons one being that this person did a number on him.

Edited by Vajrasattva

Guest sykkelpump
Edited by sykkelpump

Hi varja

Since your talking about bruce and his time in indonesia i want to ask your opinion on how Bruce Lee may have died.Maybe you know of this rumour, maybe not

Anyway my teacher told me that during bruces time in indonesia or where ever it was, he had fought in many tornaments.When fighting he normally had a pretty brutal and ruthless spirit.This didnt go down well with some of the sifu's of the people bruce lee fought.So out of spite a master cast a curse on bruce lee which lead to his death and most likely is the reason brandon lee also died at a young age

so what do you think? horseshit?

<<Hi varja

Since your talking about bruce and his time in indonesia i want to ask your opinion on how Bruce Lee may have died.Maybe you know of this rumour, maybe not

Anyway my teacher told me that during bruces time in indonesia or where ever it was, he had fought in many tornaments.When fighting he normally had a pretty brutal and ruthless spirit.This didnt go down well with some of the sifu's of the people bruce lee fought.So out of spite a master cast a curse on bruce lee which lead to his death and most likely is the reason brandon lee also died at a young age

so what do you think? horseshit?>>

never heard that one. My silat teacher's Guru (Paul deThouars) gave bruce a nice schooling in LA. & another silat guy gave it to him in NY. I do not know about his travels to Indonesia/ Only the one to malaysia where he met with Dato meor.

Guest sykkelpump

Here let me put it to you this way....

I trained with Bob Bremer,

Ted wong, Tm Tackett

and with Guru Dan Inosanto for 6 years

Cass Magda for 3

I think I know more about Jeet Kune Do & Bruce Lee than you probably do.

I actually know people that knew his actual strength & weaknesses. I touched hands and trained with folks that actually trained with bruce on a daily basis. So I know EXACTLY the energy.

He had many strong points for sure but he was still human.

As for the Hop Gar Sifu that faught Bruce and made him get Hurt in the head. He is the real deal. I have his contacts and he is LIGIT.

I know more shit about bruce than you think you know. I posted only a tad bit. There is somethings I will not post out of Privacy issues with Guru Dan Inosanto. ( I was his Private Yoga & Internal Energy Teacher).

I am a fan of Bruce but truth is he was VERY human.

Peace

Santiago

[/qu

If you read your post there is a lot of I KNOW even if it dont match with wikipedia,documentars or interwievs with his wife friends and training partners like chuck norris and others.You claim to know a lot.to much I think.You are telling about your skills and it seems like you have the need for giving the impression of knowing everything.If you where such a high level cultivator as you claim to be,I think you would have another attitude

Edited by sykkelpump

this is thread has become a hijacked, pointless, and a petty your wrong i'm right arguement. I'll just continue doing 1 pullup until I can do 2.

Edited by Pranaman

this is thread has become a hijacked, pointless, and a petty your wrong i'm right arguement. I'll just continue doing 1 pullup until I can do 2.

here is a routine that pumps you quick: you do 1 pullup, rest 30 sec, 2 pushups, rest, then 2 pullups, then 4 pushups .... so on until you reach your limit of pullups (it's ok if you do half pullups instead o a full 'chin touches the bar') and always you double pushups number. then you can decrease the pullups/2xpushups in a pyramid manner like that:

1pullup - 2pushups

2pullups - 4pushups

3pullups - 6pushups

4pullups - 8 pushups

5pullups - 10pushups (let's say here is your limit of pullups)

4pullups - 8pushups

3pullups - 6pushups

2pullups - 4pushups

1pullup - 2 pushups

pause between exercises 30 sec max 1 min.

PS you should not do this everyday, let one or even two day pause between strength training to let body recover from stress

Edited by steam

Sykklepump....

<<If you read your post there is a lot of I KNOW even if it dont match with wikipedia,documentars or interwievs with his wife friends and training partners like chuck norris and others.You claim to know a lot.to much I think.You are telling about your skills and it seems like you have the need for giving the impression of knowing everything.If you where such a high level cultivator as you claim to be,I think you would have another attitude>>

I guess Tim Tackett, Ted Wong, Dan Inosanto, Bob Bremer do not count eh?

What about Joe Lewis? I can put you in contact with him and you can speak to him yourself...

What about Pendekar Paul dethouars who ACTUALLY trained bruce privately in Silat counts and neither William Reeders who trained Bruce Privately in NY.

I suggest you research and go touch hands with the folks above before tell me or anyone that you know about Jeet kune Do or Bruce Lee. Where is your certificates in JKD signed by people that TRAINED with Bruce???? Mine are in a folder with the rest of my Certificates.

You are just talking without actually having any feeling or real experience of the Real energy that Bruce transmitted to those that where close to him.

The problem is most people do not voice things and call it like it is. You find me to be low level that is fine you are welcome to come feel whether my Internal & External skills are what they are and then from there make up your own decisions.

I am not from the "old" generation where people keep secrets nor reveal or shed light on things so I openly discuss and share and also call bullshit when I smell it. and yes that can come off as being an "asshole" or a "know it all". But Proof is in the pudding.

If you where humble enough I would actually put you in contact with real folks that knew Bruce and trained with him and others that knew him as a young cocky punk in China.

Otherwise you can keep fishing on the internet for answers to things you have no clue about.

Peace to you & God Bless you,

Santiago

This is a fascinating thread -- I liked the tai-chi versus karate info. Qigong master chunyi lin also teaches tai-chi and as he said for qigong -- "look I have no muscles!" haha. Dr. Effie Chow, qigong master, also told us that she knows how to take down a muscle man twice her size -- she just takes in his energy and redirects it, adding it to her own. I posted a video of her demonstrating this principle in a tai-chi class.

Edited by drew hempel

Lighttime and steam, thanks for the info

Pranaman I struggled to do one pullup too. But I found that doing Hundi pushups has also increased my pullups from 1 rep to 3. That might give you something to try till you can do enough reps to try pyramids etc...

Remember to get enough rest, rest is important for muscle growth.