Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

what is Hsing-I?

I think my teacher is holding an intensive this weekend on it, but I don't know what it is.

You gotta be kidding.

I just don't understand

Why are you asking people you don't know who might give you wrong information

when you have a teacher.

Did it ever occur to you to ask your teacher

You gotta be kidding.

I just don't understand

Why are you asking people you don't know who might give you wrong information

when you have a teacher.

Did it ever occur to you to ask your teacher

this is stupid of me, yes, but I don't even know if it is Hsing-I. I thought Hsing-I was I-chuan but i'm wrong? Soon i'll be comfortable enough to ask him questions outside of the t'ai chi context.

I think my teacher is holding an intensive this weekend on it, but I don't know what it is.

This is Hsing-I. Hsing-I can do wonders for a persons T'ai-Chi. The practices relating to the 9-jointed Harmony are very useful.

But I see nothing on your Sifu's website regarding Hsing-I. There is specific information relating to I-Chuan practice. So I would imagine the intensive would be on that instead of Hsing-I.

• Like 1

Indeed. It's commonly written xinji, short for xinjiquan (much like taiji and taijiquan). The wikipedia article hua_na_da posted is probably the best source of information for now. Failing that, youtube :) as steam kindly illustrated.

Yours,

James

this is stupid of me, yes, but I don't even know if it is Hsing-I. I thought Hsing-I was I-chuan but i'm wrong? Soon i'll be comfortable enough to ask him questions outside of the t'ai chi context.

Never think of yourself as being stupid.

Feel free to ask your teacher anything.

You cannot be stupid you are a beginner.

Good teachers are happy when students ask questions.

But not too many LOL

cool replies. Yeah, it probably is I-chuan. In all of his classes he incorporates principles of I-chuan although I don't know which is from t'ai chi and which is from I-chuan, i just do my practice.

Is I chuan related to hsing I?

I practice Yang Mian which is master Yangs version of Mian Chuan. Mian Chuan grew out of Tai chi, Hsing-I, Bagua and somthing called Tong-Bey. Just interested in the relationship between them. does anyone know what Tong-Bey is?

Seth.

It's not stupid of you Pranaman considering. If the other forum members were PRESENT for your class they would understand... take it as it comes, relax into your practice, work hard when you need to, relax and OBSERVE when you need to... there is a time and place to ask questions, and a time and place to recieve instruction and correction.

It's not stupid of you Pranaman considering. If the other forum members were PRESENT for your class they would understand... take it as it comes, relax into your practice, work hard when you need to, relax and OBSERVE when you need to... there is a time and place to ask questions, and a time and place to recieve instruction and correction.

you are cool, i like your view.

advice taken

Pranaman, I Chuan (yiquan) is hsing yi quan stripped of the forms. Internally it is no different than taiji, baguazhang or hsingyiquan. Externally there isn't much moving around. Strength and skill are developed through various methods including standing (zhan zhuang) stepping (mo cha bo), testing force (shi li) testing the voice (shi sheng) and sparring. The highest practice is the war/health dance ( jian wu) where the practitioner puts all he's learned into a sponaneous practice.

Who did you learn mian chuan from Seth?

A brief history of yiquan.

Sign in to follow this