Sign in to follow this  
SiliconValley

Small Orbit

I thought I was clear about the Microcosmic orbit till I read this now on Spring Forest Qigong forum:

- Does any one know a good source of information on the various centers of the orbit? Chunyi Lin only mentions the name without dwelling into details.

- Is it the general practice to use reverse breathing pattern during the orbit?

- Is there a standard on the different centers in the orbit? Mantak Chia lists a whole lot and some others leave out these.

Is there a clear and easy to understand source of information on the orbit? Appreciate any help in this regard.

Edited by SiliconValley

I thought I was clear about the Microcosmic orbit till I read this now on Spring Forest Qigong forum:

- Does any one know a good source of information on the various centers of the orbit? Chunyi Lin only mentions the name without dwelling into details.

- Is there a standard on the different centers in the orbit? Mantak Chia lists a whole lot and some others leave out these.

Is there a clear and easy to understand source of information on the orbit? Appreciate any help in this regard.

I am a beginner and know very little, (actually i like to see myself as the person before a beginner, gee once i learned all about humbling self i really like to take it to the best extreme i can hehe :) ) but whatever points i believe 100% i know for a fact i would like to share although I'm a beginner so i could still be wrong. (hehe i know doesn't give me a vote of confidence)

I know that the Chackras, nedis and well basically the chakra energy body is different then the taoist energy body. They are both the energy body but often times they are not mix in different each others practices (At least to my knowledge) I believe (through my own experience i speak now) because these things are used for different purposes. At least thats my understanding...

Sidenote: you know even if i'm completely wrong with this i hope in giving wrong advice (which i honestly don't think i'm doing) someone could come in and correct me, either way SiliconValley and I get more properly informed. Although i really don't think i'm wrong about this. But you know how it goes "never say never"

It sounds to me Mantak Chia (having not studied under Mantak Chia) that he uses chackras as points of references for places in the body and might not even refer to those specific points, and if so my mind immediately jumps to thinking the way he does it is a slightly different practice for a different purpose compared to what I was taught and the tinny little itty bit i experienced. (without thinking it over but then over time still investigating the truth of the matter)

Personally I think reading a book can give you a good intellectual understanding (using one side of your brain) of how things work, although its referances and truths are based on the person that wrote it and there actual intentions. Reading a book to me is only as valuable as your experiences are in life. Reading a book can jog your memory the fact that you contemplate what it said and realize great bits of knowledge that you wouldn't have nessarily been aware of if you didn't think about it without reading some good text. Thats actually only using one side (more or less) of your brain. You can also read for a intellectual understand (to understand on a better intellectual level) of something you already experienced and though you understood it. This also turns into bettering your understanding of the language. Which is an art form in itself. Hehe i could go on and on how it is attached to chinese culture and taoism... well at least i like to think i can.

I suspect there is but I'm not sure.

It all depends exactly what your doing. To get a full education as if your becoming a master... well thats a different story, and once again one i have not experienced (but understand intellectually how it is supposed to work)

I'm not sure, if you find it though PM me :P

I'm interested in any corrections and other comments or teachings other people have to say on the matter.

Once upon a time I would have given you chapter and verse from M.Chia's book which goes into great detail on the orbit. Now I am pretty sure that for a beginner the visualization of the orbit is not really the small orbit practice as referenced in the old days. As far as point location and description of points on the Du and Ren channels M.Chia's book is good enough. But...different teachers, different methods. But if Master Lin uses the chinese names for the points on the orbit which correspond with acupuncture points on the Du and Ren channel then at least you should be able to determine their location on the body.

You asked " Is it the general practice to use reverse breathing pattern during the orbit?"

General practice for what school? Nothing is general from school to school. In healing Tao it is not general practice. It is my understanding that for some schools reverse breathing is general practice during many different techniques.

I am not familiar with SFQigong but I would be surprised if the question about breathing were not readily available from the teaching material.

You asked"Is there a standard on the different centers in the orbit? Mantak Chia lists a whole lot and some others leave out these."

M.Chia's system uses a much larger number of the total points on the Du and Ren channels as compared to other systems in print or otherwise.

In general the path described as the small orbit is clear. How to make it (or allow it) to circulate and whether one can actually do so through ordinary meditation and/or visualization is a subject of some disagreement which I think has been covered quite widely on this site.

Currently I only focus on an awareness of not leaking from the perineum (close the earthly door) and an awareness of the crown (open the heavenly gate) while doing all practice, but with the idea of all activity being connected to the lower tantien. So you have your starting point (Tantien) your bottom and your top of the orbit. This leaves out focusing on all of the other points in basic practice, but in theory once the tantien is more full and active will allow energy to flow where it needs to.

I presently only work with energy in this way. No intention to "make" anything happen. Just allowing connections to be and moving into deeper state where things can happen by themselves.

Craig

Great post Graig thanks for the information, always enjoy anything you have to say on the matter.

Edited to take out the huge qoute to your post Craig

Edited by WhiteTiger

Sign in to follow this