BobD

Barefoot Doctor

Er, well the title and description say it all really.

I have started reading Handbook for the Urban Warrior, and have some of his other books waiting in line. He teaches Taoist stuff from a seemingly unique perspective and with a very informal style.

So, has anyone read any of his books? Any comments?

Yeah I read Barefoot docs gudie to the dao and his book on sex. The first one was great, very refreshing, funny, unique and insightful. The one on sex was interesting too, although he has a very dirty mind, not that mine is much cleaner, but I highly recommend this author.

Yeah I read Barefoot docs gudie to the dao and his book on sex. The first one was great, very refreshing, funny, unique and insightful. The one on sex was interesting too, although he has a very dirty mind, not that mine is much cleaner, but I highly recommend this author.
Yeah, I am continuing to love his books. Not much I have read is new to me, but it is all expressed in his unique way. I have not got his sex book, but might look it up once I have finished his others, since you have not slagged it off! BTW how did you get on with that 5 Minute Miracle tape?

Who is the barefoot doctor?
Barefoot Doctor is really Stephen Russel. He claims to live the life of a modern barefoot doctor, basically like travelling barefoot taoist wisemen who aid villagers with medicine/advice/magic/exercises etc. He has been studying taoist arts since he was 11 (he is now about 46 I think), and does have a way of expressing them in a very modern (and sometime irreverant) way. His books would certainly serve as a good pop introduction (I'm sure we had a thread on that subject here or on HT once, but I hadn't come across him then), but I am stil getting some good stuff from them even now.

The two books of his I am reading at the moment (not at the same time :), but I spend time in one of two houses so I have one in each) are about 1) affirmations/visualisations/wu wei and 2) general taoist principles/mediations in the modern world.

Yes, highly recommended. This dude has tried it all (drugs, sex...)

http://www.barefootdoctorworld.co.uk/

Bobd, about thos 5 tibetans. I enjoy it very much, thank you. I love he principles of doing it slow and deep breathingly, and of course how writing and the chakras balance... I havent been doing the whole routine, just the first part when I need to activate mad chi. One time I was laying on the floor meditating, taking a "journey" of sorts and all of a sudden I did that tibetan move, all of a sudden my friend stands up and goes flying and falls back down. It was hularious. It was like the nergy shift in me, was felt in him, but he didnt even see me do the movement, but he felt it and went flying.

Interestingly enough (well, for me anyway) Barefoot Doctor's current column on his site, says

Laziness occurs when you’re resisting something.

It’s your disgruntled inner child saying stop the flow.

Examine what you’re resisting.

Observe where you’re resisting it.

Where are you stopping the flow within?

Which parts of your body are tense or holding on for no good reason?

Which parts of your body do you feel are devoid of energy?

Are you breathing freely?

You don’t even have to answer the questions.

Just asking is enough – enough, that is, to place you back in command of the situation, from which vantage point, as....

Which, aswell as being useful for lazy ass types such as me, is also very like the Sedona Method, my current all consuming extra practice (as if you didn't know!)