Prince...

So How does One Get Started?

Hmmm yes.

I read it again. Very interesting translation.

I found the link to the book. I bought it.

Thank you,

I am now waiting in the Gokurakuji Valley in Japan on another Visa document........

Here is some info on the Valley where I have a house and stay - Gokurakuji Pictures -

Later I plan to visit this nearby temple which is said to be the first Zen training monestary founded in Japan - Kenchoji Photos -

They have changed a lot of the rules in China for visa application and renewal due to the upcoming Olympic Games, so this time I have to apply outside of China.

So waiting again, and able to get online.......

Nice though, as it is a valley with green hills, bamboo, and many temples related to Zen and also Shingon Esoteric Buddhism......

Very peaceful feeling here.....

I am thinking to stay a little longer, and go and visit the sacred mountain - Koya San - before returning to China.

Also plan to visit a natural volcanic hot spring in Hakone or Izu - Onsen -

Then just found out about a very sacred area and temple in Nara that will have a special ceremony during this time that takes place only once every 60 years - Nara Area and Temples - - Nara Buddhist Monk -

Might as well make the most of this trip outside of China to get a new visa.

Thank you for ordering our book, it was my first experience to work on and edit and compile such a work, and looking at it now, there are many mistakes.

We have even talked on making a second edition, with the aim for an advanced student or serious student of tao; include more concepts and practical teachings on meditation and pursuing Tao.

We have now finished half of the Chuang Tzu with commentary; such an amazing work.

If there are any terms or concepts that you like or wish to discuss from the book, feel free to post or email me, and If possible, I am happy to talk on it.

I also think it helps in understanding the book by taking part in silent sitting and or Alchemy practice while engaged in reading the work.

Good luck in your exploration of Tao, and Gaining Union with Tao.

If I have some free time, I will post some pictures of this Japan adventure........

With my best.

We have now finished half of the Chuang Tzu with commentary; such an amazing work.

Hmmmm... Now that would be interesting also.

Some of the Zhuangzi with commentary I've read loses its freshness and humor through over analysis. Done well it should be like annotated Shakespeare - give enough context and vocabulary to better appreciate the humor, and polish the truth within it.

I think a lot of the power of Zhuangzi comes from the humor. Sometimes the best way to see our misunderstandings is to hold up a mirror and make us laugh at them. :D

If there are any terms or concepts that you like or wish to discuss from the book, feel free to post or email me, and If possible, I am happy to talk on it.

I appreciate the offer, sincerely. Through 24 years of study I've come across a great deal of terms and concepts regarding the tao - and a good deal of BS as well. Yet there's always something new to learn.

I purchased Revealing the Tao Te Ching because of the careful consideration of the meaning, clarity of writing, and sincerity of purpose I sensed in the writing you posted. Well done.

I also think it helps in understanding the book by taking part in silent sitting and or Alchemy practice while engaged in reading the work.

Good luck in your exploration of Tao, and Gaining Union with Tao.

Thank you for your considerate advice brother.

Peace,

Here is what I see to be the core question. "So How does One Get Started?" The student asked about meditation because they made the assumption that they needed a practice, or needed to learn to meditate more effectively.

My assertion is that the first thing a student should do is understand the core concepts of any subject they choose to study. The core concepts of daoism are in the Dao de Jing. If the student starts already assuming they need a practice, then there will be confusion - because there are so many schools and practices, and they all have ego and self righteousness to at least some extent.

So, trim the fat, get to the root. Read and understand the Dao de Jing. Then you will be prepared to recognize appropriate and valid schools or practices.

Thanks for all the posts, everyone. I'm a bit afraid that I'm still at the same point when I first posted, though. :(

I have 2 copies of the Dao de Jing as well as Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. I have not read either, yet (but I will!). I've been busy with Bruce Frantzis The Power of Internal Martial Arts and Chi. I'm not much interested in fighting, but I love martial arts, so somehow I will start reading one book,and drop it for something that deals with martial arts.

I have been more consistant with my sitting meditation. I don't know how to focus on the Dan Tien or anything like that...I don't focus on anything at this point. The guy that taught me Yiquan, he told me work on the body first and the mind will follow. I've taken that approach with everything right now.

Haha, I can only sit in sitting meditation for 15 minutes before I get sore and feel like my brain is gonna scream! I'm glad that everyone is willing to give me advice, but I think we will all agree for now that I just need to jump in the water...if I sink or swim won't matter until I get in the water first, right?

Prince,

If you have a sincere interest in a long term meditation practice, I'd recommend that you do whatever it takes to find a credible teacher - there are good teachers in most geographical area. Learning from a random committee of strangers with a wide variety of knowledge, traditions, and skills on an internet forum combined with a cornucopia of books is unlikely to be fruitful. As other have said, it would be better to just sit and breathe and simply be there.

All the information and jargon presented in these scholarly posts is of less value than an hour's honest practice to the beginning student. Don't get me wrong, there is some really expert and eloquent discussion on this post by folks much more knowledeable than me. My point is that it is unlikely to be value to you right now. In the beginning you need very basic instruction in a single, credible method, and to stick with that method for a long time, being occasionally corrected and guided as you progress, by someone who is expert in that particular method.

Another option - read To Be Human by Jiddu Krishnamurti. He will teach you why there is no method that will get you where you think you want to go.

:)

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks for all the posts, everyone. I'm a bit afraid that I'm still at the same point when I first posted, though. :(

I have 2 copies of the Dao de Jing as well as Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. I have not read either, yet (but I will!). I've been busy with Bruce Frantzis The Power of Internal Martial Arts and Chi. I'm not much interested in fighting, but I love martial arts, so somehow I will start reading one book,and drop it for something that deals with martial arts.

I have been more consistant with my sitting meditation. I don't know how to focus on the Dan Tien or anything like that...I don't focus on anything at this point. The guy that taught me Yiquan, he told me work on the body first and the mind will follow. I've taken that approach with everything right now.

Haha, I can only sit in sitting meditation for 15 minutes before I get sore and feel like my brain is gonna scream! I'm glad that everyone is willing to give me advice, but I think we will all agree for now that I just need to jump in the water...if I sink or swim won't matter until I get in the water first, right?

All the information and jargon presented in these scholarly posts is of less value than an hour's honest practice to the beginning student. Don't get me wrong, there is some really expert and eloquent discussion on this post by folks much more knowledeable than me. My point is that it is unlikely to be value to you right now. In the beginning you need very basic instruction in a single, credible method, and to stick with that method for a long time, being occasionally corrected and guided as you progress, by someone who is expert in that particular method.

Probably the best advice given so far.

Well said Steve.

Prince, choose a method and start. Find a good guide for that method. Stick to it.

If - down the road - something else feels more in harmony with your nature, don't be afraid to examine it.

Like water, keep moving in a direction towards growth and understanding - you will find the most appropriate path.

Be well, be at peace,

Edited by beancurdturtle

Thanks Steve. I didn't mention it, but I have a degree in Religion, so much of the reading is just from a research/interest perspective. I've always had an interest in mysticism.

For now, I am content with Tai Chi, the little bit of Qigong I've been taught, and the sitting meditation that I started doing on my own. I don't know of any teachers here in Nashville, but I had the chance to study with a teacher when I was in San Diego. I'm considering moving back to California in a few years, but I have some unfinished business to attend to here.

I agree........

Find yourself a living teacher and guide.

Sitting is simple.

The ancient term used in many Taoism books is - Sitting in Forgetfulness -

Tells you a lot just there.......

The main aspect for sitting is to still the mind, as you said, if you sit, your mind screams after 15 min.

Here is one point of view on how to begin the practice from my tradition.

There are many other views from other qualified schools and traditions also.

Seat yourself in the posture like the many Buddha statues.

---the legs crossed and the fingers of two hands interlocked, let the tongue touch the roof of the mouth, teeth lightly touching, breathing gently and softly in and out of the nose ---

Compose your heart and purge it of all disorderly thoughts.

Then gently settle your Mind-Will in the Lower Elixir Field.

The Lower Elixir Field or the Lower Dantian (Tan Tien) is located in the empty space below the navel in the middle place between the kidney and navel -- a sphere of around 3.8 cm. Let the internal vision gaze upon that place; looking yet not looking.

That is to say, persistently rest your mind in this vague space, with no time spent on pondering over other things.

Here is a video from the Indian Tradition on How to Meditate - it has some good basic teachings and views -

~

~

~ How to Meditate / Complete Version ~

hmmm...I use a Gym Boss timer for when I do my Yiquan standing. I'm only up to 1:30 on each posture...long way to go before that 5 minutes in each posture thing. :( But I'm making progress...I remember when 1 minute used to hurt! Now I'm like,"dang, that went fast!"

Anyway, when my timer went off at 15 minutes for my sitting meditation, I was kinda like "awwww man!" I started to feel a calming effect coming over me...I just thought about where my hands were placed, the open spot between the thumbs and palms...I dunno...I felt really good, like I could sit there forever...and then BEEP BEEP!

Oh well, guess I'll see what happens tomorrow night!