alfa

confused about tantra

I've been reading about tantra online, but it gets confusing.

From what I understand, it's about sublimating sexual energy into spiritual energy, or something to that effect. But the techniques are hard to understand. In Osho's discourses, he suggests some weird methods with partners, whereas others say it has to be done alone in a meditative state. It's so conflicting. :(

Still others say chakras are central to this, we must move the energy from the lowest (because sexual energy is the lowest) to the highest, which is the crown chakra.

Any insights on this to clear things up. B)

I've been reading about tantra online, but it gets confusing.

From what I understand, it's about sublimating sexual energy into spiritual energy, or something to that effect. But the techniques are hard to understand. In Osho's discourses, he suggests some weird methods with partners, whereas others say it has to be done alone in a meditative state. It's so conflicting. :(

Still others say chakras are central to this, we must move the energy from the lowest (because sexual energy is the lowest) to the highest, which is the crown chakra.

Any insights on this to clear things up. B)

There are various branches of Tantra.

Samayachar - Purely internal contemplation

Dakshinachar - Rituals, mantra etc., without involving sexual practices

Vamachar/Kaulachar - this teaches sexual techniques, but after a student has undergone rigorous preperation and is qualified by the Guru to take up a sexual practice like Bhairavi chakra etc.

Who practices what is based on individual needs, state of development, previous karma [reflected in birth chart etc.]. Some practices deal with chakras directly by explicit manipulation of pranic movement etc., some do not and rely on mantra and deities to accomplish this. Some simply rely on shaktipat.

As for Osho, :D:D:D:D

Edited by SiliconValley

As for Osho, :D:D:D:D

Take Osho's writings with a heaping tablespoon of salt!

I personally resonate deeply with his commentaries on Zhuangzi and Liezi but I pay little attention to much else. His sexual practices would be particularly suspect, IMO, due to his history of sexual exploitation of his 'disciples.'

He was a very insightful guy who I think fell victim to his celebrity and power, as do many 'gurus.'

As a novel, I really enjoyed Daniel Odier's Tantric Quest.

I've never practiced so I can't help you beyond that.

If you're serious about it you should probably look for a credible guru.

Good luck.

After reading Daniel Odier's Tantric Quest, Desire and Yoga Spanakarika my understanding is that Tantra is about finding the divine within. In his books, Odier presents Kashmir Shaivism, a system where one experiences the universe (and the divine) through consciousness. He doesn't get caught up in the nuts and bolts because they usually get in the way. The keep it simple approach resonates with me - become conscious of the divine within and without.

The journey is the destination