Mantra68

The Red Sun practice

So how are people enjoying red sun? I'll be honest

I found it terrifying

and "I think *" I felt down for about 2 weeks afterwards as I worked through all my "issues"

*- (lots of cross contamination so could be due to other factors)

Not sure if I want to try again so posting for encouragement :)

So how are people enjoying red sun? I'll be honest

I found it terrifying

and "I think *" I felt down for about 2 weeks afterwards as I worked through all my "issues"

*- (lots of cross contamination so could be due to other factors)

Not sure if I want to try again so posting for encouragement :)

Hey Mal

I think the key is to let whatever happens, happen.I have been doing another breath retention exercise called blood breathing.Basically you exhale all the air from your lungs then hold on.The idea is to train your body to recieve oxygen from your blood.At first I could only do about tens seconds before the air panic set in now I can do about 15 seconds :lol:

Primarily though the key is relaxation no doubt panic sadness bliss light stars blah blah will arise but they are no importance at least not as important as staying relaxed.

Panic and terror are the enemy.

The chance to breath again is everything.

Edited by seadog
  • Like 1

You can do it, physically. Just muster up the will to continue holding the breath despite your fear. Let go.

I found that when you get past a certain point, a lot of bliss arises and the body feels as if it's dissolving.

What's that little flat liner game where Japanese teenagers choke each other? In any case with my family out of town, I allowed myself to get tied up and strangled last night but only until I passed out. Very Cool!!!

A word of caution (may be obvious but still):

Be careful when doing anything that could cause you to loose consciousness that you make sure there's nothing to hit your head on!

This happened to me a number of years ago, me and my friends liked to push on the neck and make each other pass out. I did it so many times I became careless, and then one time I passed out and slammed my head really hard on some metal. Totally crappy, I was in the hospital all day...

So look around first, be safe.

peace + love

Chris

Hello

I am not against this method but one should at least get a check up and see your doctor as this could elevate the blood pressure and O2 of the brain.

Just a thought!

Spirit Ape

A doctor would probably perscribe anti-depressants if you told him you wanted to release emotional blocks by holding your breath and imagine yourself melting.

Hello

I am not against this method but one should at least get a check up and see your doctor as this could elevate the blood pressure and O2 of the brain.

Just a thought!

Spirit Ape

Edited by de_paradise

idea most brillig, thankyou for the reminder of wot I forgot.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

B)

The pleasure was all mine.

Yours humbly,

James

Edited by .broken.

Holy cow. How'd I miss this post? Dayuuummm. Does KAP have anything like this?

Not entirely to my knowledge but Dr Morris taught spider breathing that can do the same thing.

It doesn't seem to be very easy to get information about Red Sun. I'd feel better about trying it if I could read about it more first. Is there a book or a web site with more information about what it is, how to do it, and what to expect?

This method I think is in the Kunlun book.....

I just remember thinking.... you hold your breath till you're about to pass out it seems.....

There were a bunch of kids not too long ago choking themselves to get the "rush". A couple of kids died doing it......

Bliss practice?

Or your brain cells dying from lack of oxygen?

They're oh so similar......

This method I think is in the Kunlun book.....

I just remember thinking.... you hold your breath till you're about to pass out it seems.....

There were a bunch of kids not too long ago choking themselves to get the "rush". A couple of kids died doing it......

Bliss practice?

Or your brain cells dying from lack of oxygen?

They're oh so similar......

My 2cents with this, Kunlun 2, and tumo is this.

If you just do it, hold the breath, gulp for air, experience acute pain then release...STOP!

The key part of the method is feeling the sensation of the heat melting, melting, then have it turn into blissful heat. If you don't feel this, the body is not ready or opened enough. You will know when to release when the blissful energy starts turning into physical exertion.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

No one has died, or will die, from following the Red Sun instructions. If you pass out, you will naturally start breathing again. Go ask a doctor if you're unsure, and they will tell you the same thing (if they are being honest).

Choking yourself is more dangerous, because you can damage your windpipe (if you're doing it really hard or something), and you're also completely occluding the carotid arteries so no blood is going to the brain. That is a totally different effect than suspending the breath...because the blood is still being pumped.

I don't practice this, because I'm not into breath holding techniques...just trying to clear up some confusion.

drew did it and I did it as a kid until we passed out and I agree with Sloppy Zhang

Mantra and Max are big kiddies and I'd kick their asses killhard and long if it wasnt for me being totally clear about non violence and basically a lover of harmony.

Edited by rain

My 2cents with this, Kunlun 2, and tumo is this.

If you just do it, hold the breath, gulp for air, experience acute pain then release...STOP!

The key part of the method is feeling the sensation of the heat melting, melting, then have it turn into blissful heat. If you don't feel this, the body is not ready or opened enough. You will know when to release when the blissful energy starts turning into physical exertion.

The brain needs oxygen to function, not providing it oxygen isn't really that smart, in my humble opinion (even if you are "really open" or something). Obviously with just holding your breath you don't experience the same danger as you would choking yourself with something (as Scotty pointed out). Still, to me there's little difference between holding your breath to feel the bliss, and some 14 year old choking himself in a closet to feel the "rush". I think there is (or at least should be), a little more to the practice.

Now I will say, however, that I have reached states in my meditation practices in which I seemed to stop breathing, which lasted anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. I think this is referenced in a couple texts (maybe the Secret of the Golden Flower?) about the breath being silent, or you not breathing at all. Except for me, it was a natural progression, from deep, even, continuous breaths (not holding), to suddenly feeling very relaxed and seemingly not needing to breath.

I don't know if it was really me not breathing, if it was me just finding an equilibrium, or what. I don't TRY to get to that state. I just breathe deeply and evenly and meditate, and if it happens it happens. Now, if you go that way (or some other way) and naturally/effortlessly reach a state in which you "aren't breathing" (maybe you really aren't and maybe it just FEELS like you aren't, I dunno), I don't really care.

But just "holding your breath"? If any 14 year old can do it in their closet.... um.... honestly I'm not that impressed. And, regardless of whether you will continue breathing after you pass out, depriving your brain of oxygen is still not a good idea, and I would hope most doctors would agree, otherwise.... I guess I'm wrong.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

The brain needs oxygen to function, not providing it oxygen isn't really that smart, in my humble opinion (even if you are "really open" or something). Obviously with just holding your breath you don't experience the same danger as you would choking yourself with something (as Scotty pointed out). Still, to me there's little difference between holding your breath to feel the bliss, and some 14 year old choking himself in a closet to feel the "rush". I think there is (or at least should be), a little more to the practice.

The "rush" which comes from a feeling of instant relaxation (kind of like holding in your bladder and releasing it) is very very different from the feeling I am talking about. The bliss is felt instantaneously and increases throughout the entire body as if someone is electrically charging your system. The "melting" feeling is unmistakable and it really doesn't feel as though you are holding "in" the breath.

Side note: Tummo is a bit different from Kunlun practices from my observation.

Still, to me there's little difference between holding your breath to feel the bliss, and some 14 year old choking himself in a closet to feel the "rush". I think there is (or at least should be), a little more to the practice.

I agree...there should be more to your spiritual practice than simply holding your breath. However, it's a tool in the toolbox, and has its place. ;)

Guest winpro07

this practice 'tricks' the lungs into operating on something other than air ions.

Going beyond the bodies reaction to survive enables that other some-thing to get in

Air is not just oxygen

Edited by winpro07

sorry for dredging up an old topic, however, this type of meditation is among my favorite type of meditation techniques.

I'm curious - since it's been so long since you guys were toying with this practice, I'd like to know 1. if any of you are still using it and 2. what results, if any you got from it?

thanks in advance. I'm absolutely fascinated with this topic right now.

sorry for dredging up an old topic, however, this type of meditation is among my favorite type of meditation techniques.

I'm curious - since it's been so long since you guys were toying with this practice, I'd like to know 1. if any of you are still using it and 2. what results, if any you got from it?

thanks in advance. I'm absolutely fascinated with this topic right now.

Thanks for bumping it lol, Im interested myself.

Not sure if I should give it a try yet though.

So, a little while ago I chanced on something on tv, some ABC thing I think, that involved people being "supermen". One of them was a lady who was a "mermaid"- she had a giant fin on her legs and would free drive to ridiculous depths without air.

She said that you have to relax and open up as much of the lungs as possible to get as much air (reminded me a lot of daoist breathing, and the longevity breathing that B.K. Frantzis teaches), and then she said you need to hold you breath past this point where the lungs start convulsing. She said that the lungs and diaphragm start freaking out, but if you can get past that, you can hold your breath for a ridiculously long time- I forget how many minutes, while still swimming around like a fish.

So, might be something to it.