Trunk

Small Heavenly Orbit

Damn that blog is a GREAT read

2nd that!

Check out the post on the small heavenly orbit. And then all of the posts that are tagged with SHO.

(p.s. I hope that blog is legit. It reads like it probably is.

later 2nd p.s. Please quote and link the passages from the blog as needed.

yet an even later p.s. For modesty's sake, let's assume that the blog is incomplete, that it's not meant as a fully detailed instruction manual but just a .. blog. :D )

2nd that!

Check out the post on the small heavenly orbit. And then all of the posts that are tagged with SHO.

(p.s. I hope that blog is authentic. It reads like it probably is.)

The blogger said SHO opens naturally when the practitioner is able to sit still in full lotus with a focused shen for several hours.(Vajrasattva, please, dont come with the "hoarse shite" here ;) )

lol... that's not what the article says at all...

The two students who opened up the Channel SHO had the following features: one of them practiced extremely hard, he could sit in full lotus for 2 hours, he had done really well to accumulate internal qi, as long as the method was right, it's impossible for him to miss it. Another was a youngster who had super endurance, he could sit in full lotus perfectly still for 2 hours. When the body stayed still, the shen is focused and qi will be created, after an extended period of time, opening up the SHO is the natural conclusion.

i'm not anti-lotus but it appears any posture held that long will have that effect

on another note though it sure does seem like it's better not to practice anything when you don't have a teacher, he basically says that almost every "microcosmic orbit" practice is false; not in those words but that you shouldn't have to visualize anything moving or nothing.

The blogger said SHO opens naturally when the practitioner is able to sit still in full lotus with a focused shen for several hours.(Vajrasattva, please, dont come with the "hoarse shite" here ;) )

A little unfair on Vajrasattva... He said it was horse shit that it was a necessary practice for high levels of cultivation. He also acknowledged that it was a very good asana.

That aside - apologies, it was difficult to know whether that comment was in jest or not... tone is difficult to determine in written language - it is my understanding that certain sources claim that the orbit will open up once a certain level of single pointed concentration has been developed (re Bill Bodri, Master Nan and Charles Luk).

Yours humbly,

James

Please quote and link specific passages from the blog as needed.

Also, for modesty's sake, let's assume that the blog is incomplete, that it's not meant as a fully detailed instruction manual but just a .. blog. :D

Ok, continue play! :D

356834167_4368e2e4ef.jpg

I am not even going to waste my time. I gave everyone advice on it, take it or leave it.

:)

Peace

Santiago

Just reading the excerpts you all have posted -- this is entirely accurate.

"Another was a youngster who had super endurance, he could sit in full lotus perfectly still for 2 hours."

That is the easiest way to see if you have begun the "macrocosmic orbit." The full-lotus is NOT just like any other posture.

1) The Buddha statues are in full-lotus for a reason.

2) The reason is that it's the most concise means of creating a vortex of energy -- sucking up the electrochemical yin jing energy while shooting out the electromagnetic chi-shen yang energy.

3) I just sat in full-lotus for 2 hours straight in a park while reading THE CITY OF JOY -- and excellent book on Calcutta -- during that time I had probably 20 O at a Ds -- the exchange I described in 2).

4) Yang is 3:4 and Yin is 2:3, the full-lotus is a tetrahedron made up of 4 equilateral triangles, each made up of two 2-3-4 triangles. Qigong master Chunyi Lin states that 20 minutes of full-lotus equals 4 hours of any other practice. "Opening the Dragon Gate" is based on the full-lotus.

5) Full-lotus means your ankles are up on the top of your thighs -- so that the point of the small of the back is stretched -- the point called the KUNDABUFFER by Gurdjieff.

OK I'm going through the blog -- what a gold mine!

"(1) I didn't need to use my hand to get into the full lotus position. I had only seen two persons who could do this before. Unfortunately it only lasted for about half a year, after I started teaching in 1991, I was no longer able to do it."

Edited by drew hempel

Ming Mien can be open while sitting and standing. Standing you can feel out weight shifting effects on send/recieve activity metabolism. Sitting you can feel the body go into "rest" metabolism.

Edited by Spectrum

so that the point of the small of the back is stretched

For less flexible people this could simply be cross one leg over into a fig-4 w/ the ankle bone resting on top of the quad while sitting on the edge of a chair, reach forward w/ your chin, keeping the spine erect. One side at a time while intentionally belly breathing w/ good posture. Also butterfly position w/ the back elongated/flat by reaching the chin for the tips of the toes while pushing the belly button outwards slightly. There are a lot of ways. Seek commonalities.

Edited by Spectrum

It looks to me that there is much to be inspired about from that blog, beyond confirming whatever each of us has already found to be valid and useful. There is always more to learn, deeper levels to work toward, serious authentic schools and teachers to learn from (if one can discern which are good sources). Speaking just for myself personally, after many years of work and many 'amazing experiences' I still often find a break-through that shows me that I've just been scratching the surface. Especially in western culture, imo, there is so much work to be done to search out deeper teachings and learn what we can. My 'thing', recently, has been reading (and to some degree applying) Chinese medical acupoint & channel theory. Repeatedly astonished at how little I know, how much material is being presented to learn. Doors are opening cross-culturally that simply weren't available before. Lots of work to do.

Right: I recommend reading Master Nan, Huai-chin's books: Working Towards Enlightenment and Realizing Enlightenment along with the four or so others in English, but those first two are his main books.

Spectrum -- like Santiago, you admit not being able to sit in full-lotus with your ankles on your thighs?

Drew.....

So when are you coming to pay me a visit??? :)

Peace & God Bless

Santiago

Spectrum -- like Santiago, you admit not being able to sit in full-lotus with your ankles on your thighs?

Why? So you can try to play the elitist and criticize him?

No respected Daoist classics emphasize full lotus that I'm aware of. And the blog postings don't either, for that matter. No matter what a respected master writes, you always try to twist their words to suit your own theories connecting it to music, math, and full lotus. Give it a rest....

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, i just think a lot of people here get bitchy because they can't sit in it;

No respected Daoist classics emphasize full lotus that I'm aware of. And the blog postings don't either, for that matter. No matter what a respected master writes, you always try to twist their words to suit your own theories connecting it to music, math, and full lotus. Give it a rest....

because you didn't do that just now, huh?

edit: the blog also does emphasize sitting in it, he clearly states that the two people who did open their small heavenly orbit could sit in full lotus for long stretches of time - why else would he add that bit of information?

Edited by mantis

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, i just think a lot of people here get bitchy because they can't sit in it;

because you didn't do that just now, huh?

I can sit in full lotus, and I have been able to since I was a young teenager.

And on the other point, mind pointing out how I did, then? When I read a classic, I try to consider the emphasis the writer is putting on each element of the practice. I have never read a Daoist classic that emphasized sitting in full lotus as a key to anything.

Edit: The writer of the blog never states or even implies that anyone opened up the small heavenly orbit because they could sit in full lotus for long periods at a time. It simply states that two successful practitioners during one class could sit in full lotus for long periods, which is an indication that they are experienced in meditation. You'll also notice that there were over a dozen others who also succeeded at it in an earlier class, despite no mention whatsoever that any of them could sit in full lotus.

Edited by styrofoamdog

I've been curious about the benefits of full lotus pose.

For a while I was doing headstands and could get into it while in a headstand without my hands. That was cool...

I find it really helps put my body in just the right posture, spine straight, breathing easy. Keeps me just alert enough to where while I am relaxed, I do not start dosing. The only thing is coming out of it. Getting my legs straight again and being able to stand back up.

Edited by Junbao

You'll also notice that there were over a dozen others who also succeeded at it in an earlier class, despite no mention whatsoever that any of them could sit in full lotus.

Gosh, I was only joking with Vajrasattva there in my first post...but I did confirm my guess that there are some subjects that should not be mentioned if you want a sober discussion. That is "the nessecity of full lotus", "david shen verdesis foundation training" and "kunlun debunking".

But the blog is a true gem! Its a wonder how it managed to stay hidden from the taobums for almost three months...

The blogger say crosslegged is fine. But you still need to be able to sit still for several hours within the pressure of the teachers chi-field. The blog say it is painful...I would love to try that challenge :D

It appeared that the crux was to fill dan tian with houtian (post-heaven) qi until it filled and then a conversion would take place to xiantian (pre-heaven) qi. Then it would automatically course through the orbit.

The filling included drawing qi from many external sources, trees, stars, etc... Also, the instructor does "daigong", in which he coaxes qi to move in the student.

Satyalok