Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

need help please!

I'm having a hard time understanding emptiness meditation. I've watched the bk meditation movie twice and i'm still unsure of how to 'watch' my breath without feeling it or visualizing it. What are some other names for it so I can look up more resources and books? Do you just place your attention on a fixed point in the nostrils? Isn't this feeling the breath? thank you very very much for your time.

Edited by Pranaman

I'm having a hard time understanding emptiness meditation. I've watched the bk meditation movie twice and i'm still unsure of how to 'watch' my breath without feeling it or visualizing it. What are some other names for it so I can look up more resources and books? Do you just place your attention on a fixed point in the nostrils? Isn't this feeling the breath? thank you very very much for your time.

my advice get a teacher - somebody that walked that path already.

?

bk meditation movie?

our minds like to have something to chew on :D

emptiness is easy, you don't have to think on it!

Sometimes breath and all that other stuff can just be a distraction,

good to start to create some single pointed focus

but then it has to be dropped to?

Just relax and be.

If watching is to active for you

(attention stimulates feeling? and that is undesired???)

Maybe ?

just be.

you're breath will still breath

but your attention won't influence it,

it won't make you feel by intensifying your focus on breath?

Just be.

but i don't know what the bk meditation movie thing is all about?

or what it is?

Hope this helps Pranaman!

Have fun with it!

Shon

Emptiness is not a process of understanding but of being. Watching a movie will not help you if you sit there and just think about it so much that you fall into the guestly nature of self. Watching your thoughts is simply just allowing your thoughts to float by without clinging on to them beacuse they are always going to be there even if they are good or bad, emotional or not. And allso there is no need for visualizing breath because it is happening in every moment, it is allready there and it only comes naturally not by force. Already doing it now in the now. Mainly its all about opening up the awareness. Dont fight it, just use your awareness. So if a thought arises just let it come and go just like your breath. When you dont allow your self to rule thoughts and emotion fall into the distance then emptiness is just there naturally, body and mind are still and theres no need to visualize on breath. Remember this; breath follows mind, mind does not follow breath, it only comes naturally. If you realy want to understand how to breath after all this them watch a baby.

I wouldn't try to reach any state of emptiness, not sure it even exists. If it was truly empty, then that means conscious awareness would have to be missing. The whole void state doesn't make much sense to me. From my perspective, the goal is to bring more AWARENESS into every moment, and meditation helps minimize distractions for that task. Rather than follow and involve the "I" in thought, you simply observe the CONTENTS of your mind...like watching a movie. Not checking definitions here, but I think it's similar to vipassana? People at a high level don't see the duality of subject/object, but see the consciousness of the "I" pervade all manifestation...at least that's what they claim :lol:

Satyalok

When you reach Emptiness all things manifest!

Ears listen inwardly and breath naturally and all will appear to you.....If your mind is not tamed focus on Dan Tian this is much easier and you get rewards for it latee!!!

WYG

Guest sykkelpump

Many confusing answers here.you should just concentrate on observing the breath.dont try to feel it or follow it or regulate it.Just concentrate on observing the breath.thoughts will come but you just go back to observing the breath every time.after some practice it will slow down and get deeper and you might feel warm energy moving in your body or that you start breathing up and down in your torso or might that you naturally start breathing energy into dan tien among others thing.BUT you must just continue to observe the breath,dont forget what you are doing . these things happen because you observ the breath and your mind slows down.if you start focus on theese things/feelings and you try to follow the breath visulalizate or controll it by will in any way,you will lose it.because you then dont observe the breath anymore and you activate your mind.The point off all meditation is to quiet the mind.In this meditation you concentrate on observing the breath so thougts slow down gradually.and that will activate your chi and internal breathing.You will feel things but that will come because of your mind is calming down and not because you following or trying to feel your breath.Hopes this help.my english is limited.and concentrating on dan tien is another practice dont mix it.

Here is a free email course I have seen some of the stuff here and it looks very good and it gives you a understanding of meditation to.Maybe you should follow that.because asking queastions here imo can be very confusing

http://arobuddhism.org/meditation/internet-course.html

for my workings on breath I have paid attention to all of the physical feelings of breath and all body parts engaged. although initially it might be a little contrived, once a state of regulation is reached then you have a full solid very efficient breath that you dont have to pay any mind to - that is when you can simply observe the one perfect breath, and emptiness is not far off :)

Guest sykkelpump

Aro is fake.

Fake?

;) So how's it going???

------------------------------

I dont know what movie you watched. but it is no good having the images of a movie in your head trying to recapture a message. &

dont go neurotic on your breath :) "watching my breath" never worked for me either. but this does;

basics. sit well but not to comfortable. no tight clothes. nice air. no wind or direct sun.

eyes slightly defocused slightly downwards slightly closed. breathe with belly.

outbreath slightly longer than in breath.

watch off. no metal. feet on ground or crossed legs or half or full lotus. hands in lap or on knees or with chosen mudra.

your mind will wander, speak, show you images. your body speak heartbeat, temperature, pain, bad cireculation..exitement, reveal feelings, moods, cravings, Just observe. Just return to breath. dont engage.dont judge.

after a while if you are honest with yourself you notice that everything comes and passes. detach. let go.

that all you do is stretch for something new or go in circles. and it is not there.

you are not your body. detach

you are not your emotions. detach

you are not your mind. detach

let go.

Goosie Goes Bump Bump Bump

------------------------------

I dont know what movie you watched. but it is no good having the images of a movie in your head trying to recapture a message. &

dont go neurotic on your breath :) "watching my breath" never worked for me either. but this does;

basics. sit well but not to comfortable. no tight clothes. nice air. no wind or direct sun.

eyes slightly defocused slightly downwards slightly closed. breathe with belly.

outbreath slightly longer than in breath.

watch off. no metal. feet on ground or crossed legs or half or full lotus. hands in lap or on knees or with chosen mudra.

your mind will wander, speak, show you images. your body speak heartbeat, temperature, pain, bad cireculation..exitement, reveal feelings, moods, cravings, Just observe. Just return to breath. dont engage.dont judge.

after a while if you are honest with yourself you notice that everything comes and passes. detach. let go.

that all you do is stretch for something new or go in circles. and it is not there.

you are not your body. detach

you are not your emotions. detach

you are not your mind. detach

let go.

yes watch your leg.

I erased the other.

(post) :)

Edited by rain

it's going good besides the fact that my house is really noisy(dogs barking at anything that moves and people that talk loud and watch TV, all that I can hear through the walls) and there are always cars and airplanes and lawnmowers. I'm not sure what to do about this.... if i should go to another basic practice or what.

Edited by Pranaman

Sign in to follow this