Sign in to follow this  
林愛偉

Taking One Across

Taking One Across to the Other Shore

By: Lin Ai Wei

A phrase we often hear in Buddhist educational studies is "Taking living beings across...across to the other shore...to take one across."

Taking one across simply means to enlighten. Though one can not enlighten a living being for that living being, one may show them the path, the methods, describe the methods, explain them. But, that living being must diligently cultivate their mind to put the methods to use.

An often used analogy is the teacher and student on a boat preparing to cross a lake. The teacher says "I'll row the boat, you sit." The student says, "It is only proper for me to do it." The teacher says, " I am the teacher, I should take you across." The student says, " You brought me to the boat, it is only proper that I take myself across."

The whole conversation is just a metaphor. "Boat" means method in which when cultivated can result in enlightenment, wisdom. "Rowing" means to do the hard work of attaining the wisdom mind, the enlightened mind.

When the student says, "You brought me the boat..." , he means that the teacher only can give the methods for cultivation. When the student says, "...it is only proper that I take myself across.", he means though the teacher has the wisdom and skill to expound the teachings, it is the student who must diligently, bitterly toil at cultivation. It is the student who must, themself, enlighten.

A teacher is one who explains the methods to an honest and diligent student. Yet, a teacher only guides the student along the path of cultivation. He/she doesn't turn the light on for the student, and doesn't carry them on their backs across the sea of confusion till they reach the wisdom shore.

When a student cultivates, they are mindful of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, yet the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas do not take the student by the hand and lead them away from the defilements without the student attaining wisdom.

Taking across to the other shore also means the transforming of defilements to enlightened thoughts. It is said that the sea of suffering is endless, vast and always thrashing with desires, emotions, and false thinking.

The wisdom shore is without false thinking, emotional confusion and defilements. But no one can actually take you. You have to do the dirty work of cultivating. Cultivation is easy, it is the minds of living beings which make it difficult.

When a Bodhisattva, or Buddha is said to "take one across", it doesn't mean they actually take one to the shore of enlightenment. In the Diamond Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha said that if any Bodhisattva thinks they are a Bodhisattva, and thinks they actually have saved a living being, taken a living being across, they are not a disciple of the Buddha.

It is a false and arrogant thought to claim that you have actually taken one to the shore of pure wisdom. Such a thought results in the views of ego, self, others and a life, and hinders one's clear and humble mind.

It is only said that a Bodhisattva takes one across to the shore of wisdom only because there are living beings who are still revolving in the views of separation, still harboring false thoughts. In truth, there is no taking of one across, there is only awakening to the true mind, the Buddha Mind.

Introducing one to the Proper Dharma is not taking them across. It is simply passing the method. In using the term "taking one across" one must not only present the method, but explain in total detail, be as patient as possible with the mind of the living being to make sure that they stay straight on the path leading towards enlightenment.

This is truly taking one to the other shore. If the living being retreats from the path, holds false thoughts, and remains defiled in their mind throughout their cultivation, they can not reach the wisdom shore. Thus, the teacher has not guided them at all, but only empowered the defilements of that living being.

A wise advisor knows the mind of the cultivator, knows when to expound the teaching, how to expound the teaching and knows when the student is ready to move on their own without guidance. Just as well, the wise advisor also resides in their virtue, vows and wisdom. They will not lead a life of confusion and defilements which they teach those who resolve to attain enlightenment.

If a wise advisor him/herself is still confused, and defiled in their own life, they will drown in the sea of desire and emotion along with the living beings they teach. At first, the path may be clear to the both of them, advisor and living being, but the result will not be fruitful unless both change their habits, thoughts and maintain the resolve to attain enlightenment at all times without a thought of retreating.

Transmit the teachings through explanation and example and the cultivator will realize the fruit of their labor. This is the mark of taking one across, and yet, not one being has been taken across.

Edited by 林愛偉

:mellow:

My thought was the same as Darin's,LOL

... right across the cheek!

then old songs pop into my head...

"The water is wide; I can't cross o'er, And neither have I wings to fly.

Give me a boat that can carry two, And both shall row, my love and I. ..."

or crossing to another land/plane/world/layer.

There are many versions of this story, this lesson.

Some very long full of imagery.

There is one

that to tell would take me a good 45 min. to tell

and it's even missing parts!

Written almost as maps of sorts.

as is this one

that's so short and to the point!

Love it!

?

What was it that brought it to mind for you, Lin Ai ?

That you thought to post it ?

Glad your soon crossing the sea

& comeing to the east coast!

Hope you have fun in NY.!

& hey! I've enjoyed the videos that you put up, too!

Will have to watch more of them as time allows ,

really enjoyed the push hands ones!

Thank you Lin :D

Stay well,

Shon

... an important lesson,

thank you for sharing it Lin Ai

Edited by shontonga

:mellow:

My thought was the same as Darin's,LOL

... right across the cheek!

then old songs pop into my head...

"The water is wide; I can't cross o'er, And neither have I wings to fly.

Give me a boat that can carry two, And both shall row, my love and I. ..."

or crossing to another land/plane/world/layer.

There are many versions of this story, this lesson.

Some very long full of imagery.

There is one

that to tell would take me a good 45 min. to tell

and it's even missing parts!

Written almost as maps of sorts.

as is this one

that's so short and to the point!

Love it!

?

What was it that brought it to mind for you, Lin Ai ?

That you thought to post it ?

Glad your soon crossing the sea

& comeing to the east coast!

Hope you have fun in NY.!

& hey! I've enjoyed the videos that you put up, too!

Will have to watch more of them as time allows ,

really enjoyed the push hands ones!

Thank you Lin :D

Stay well,

Shon

... an important lesson,

thank you for sharing it Lin Ai

Hi Shon ^_^

I just wrote this piece this morning. It came to mind because a friend of mine claimed to have taken two of his friends across, had brought them to the wisdom ground. The fact is, that in his life things aren't all clear and pristine as he would like them to be. THus the body of the piece speaking of; "just because one introduces another to Buddhism, doesn't mean they have taken that person across."

I didn't say anything at the time, but after writing the piece, I sent it to him in an email.

To claim to have taken one across is a bit too arrogant, and I wrote it as a lesson for him to realize his mistake, as well as a guiding principle for those who claim to be Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. To claim to be a Buddha and or a Bodhisattva is to actually deny that one is. Even if one was a Buddha or Bodhisattva, what good does it do to tell others, or even wear the badge so all can see it? It doesn't make any one more enlightened, or even enlightened.."faster". It actually causes more confusion, false thinking.

If a Buddha were to come, a Bodhisattva to manifest themselves, they would never say so, and even deny the part till death. For once others actually know who the Buddha is, the Buddha thus departs asap. Living beings tend to worship, and mystify the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, and miss the point.

It was posted also as a check point for those seeking for teachers. If a techer were to proclaim that they can take one across, and gaurantee it, the seeker should look out! Its 99.9999999% lies. The only thing which can take a cultivator to the wisdom shore is Wisdom teaching only. All the states and abilities will just cover the wisdom mind when there is no true wisdom present.

Buddha Dharma is the vehicle which takes one to the wisdom shore, but the cultivator must cultivate. Without the bitter toil of cultivation, the methods are just false thoughts. ^_^

HEHE I'll be crossing the Pacific Shores in 2 weeks and arriving on the Western Shores of NY on July 4th...how symbolic! hahahaha

Peace and Blessings Brother,

Lin Ai Wei

Edited by 林愛偉

Oh...? What do you mean?

Hahaha! Love it!

Thank you Lin Ai :D

"If a techer were to proclaim that they can take one across, and gaurantee it, the seeker should look out! Its 99.9999999% lies. The only thing which can take a cultivator to the wisdom shore is Wisdom teaching only. All the states and abilities will just cover the wisdom mind when there is no true wisdom present."

Mmm. Agreed.

Haven't (myself) heard of teachers proclaiming it,

though am sure some do, but, MAN!

Have heard their "Students"!

LOL. :rolleyes:

Have often seen "Students"

put their teacher up on a pedestal of worship,

that doesn't allow the teacher to be "human".

Have Seen plenty of teachers buy into it!

Oooo, The stories I could share!!!

Sages, Gurus, and Harems!

Jet planes, Ashrams, and "Communities"

of every kind!

... but i will try and behave ? ;)

... for now!

Have also seen the heart ache that it causes.

For the student

but also for the Teacher that they love.

For some it is ruins after that.

Have seen some truly great Teachers

Lose it all. (not sayin' it's good or bad here!)

They can't reclaim their reputations after that

or be taken seriously at all.

and some wonderful knowledge gets lost.

Anyway, it's late here and i am rambeling ... again!

Thanks Lin, I have enjoyed reading your posts!

& Coming to N.Y. on the 4th of July?

All I can say is

PERFECT!

Absolutely Perfect !

Safe Trip!

Shon

Edited by shontonga

& Coming to N.Y. on the 4th of July?

All I can say is

PERFECT!

Absolutely Perfect !

Safe Trip!

Shon

HAHAHA I get it now! I am a bit slow you know... :P

Thanks for the blessings!

Peace and Blessings Shon!

Lin

HAHAHA I get it now! I am a bit slow you know... :P

Thanks for the blessings!

Peace and Blessings Shon!

Lin

:rolleyes:

Hmm?

Sorry 'bout that!

was commenting on ~

"HEHE I'll be crossing the Pacific Shores in 2 weeks

and arriving on the Western Shores of NY on July 4th...how symbolic! hahahaha

Peace and Blessings Brother,

Lin Ai Wei"

Independence Day!

Has to be Perfect!

Maybe you'll see fire works!

Just for your arrival , of course!

Lin ?

Can you comment on the term you used "wisdom ground" ?

Think i know what you mean

but may know it by other terms?

Am not Buddhist and some of my own background

is causing me to question the meaning :huh:

To many layers of stuff playing on my mind!

Wondering?

Thank you!

Stay well, Shon

Lin ?

Can you comment on the term you used "wisdom ground" ?

Think i know what you mean

but may know it by other terms?

Am not Buddhist and some of my own background

is causing me to question the meaning :huh:

To many layers of stuff playing on my mind!

Wondering?

Thank you!

Stay well, Shon

Certainly!!! :D

"Wisdom Ground" means the undefiled, pure and clear bright mind,

also known as one's original nature, original mind, Buddha Mind.

So, when one is taken to the other shore, they are simply puting

down defiled thoughts and realizing the true mind of purity, non-confusion,

true, undefiled wisdom ^_^

Peace,

Lin

Sign in to follow this