Sign in to follow this  
.broken.

Desire

Hello everyone,

I am keen to gain knowledge of practices that lead to the ending of desire. This, somewhat obviously, also includes fear - which is just the desire to avoid.

Descriptions of the effects of desire and its elimination are rife throughout much of religious teaching - both Eastern and Western. Despite all this, I have no knowledge of how this is achieved, and if I do know I clearly do not label it as such.

My own instincts are that 'non-attachment' has to be attained. If we didn't act on our desires and fears then what grip would they have over us?

I would be keen to read what you think about this. Perhaps even informing us as to what practices help release/sublimate desire.

Yours humbly,

James

When primal or orginal dao is broken into yin and yang desire is born.From the one two is born from the two three is born giving birth to unending manifestations.To return to orginal dao or our original nature frees us from the unending manifestation (desire).

To" attain " something is a manifestation. There is nothing to attain.To act on our fears and desires is only feeding them.

Daoism is a return to stillness.A return to our original nature.

Stillness knows no desire.

Hey James.

How funny us humans are. We create this strong desire to end desire!!

You really have to laugh :lol:

To answer you though - the key is to develop acceptance.

I say 'develop' - but it's not something you practice or look for. It's already right here, you just need to get out of your own way to discover it again.

So to 'develop' acceptance you start to let go. Whatever comes up - smile and let it go. Trying to be accepting and compassionate will just get you tripping over yourself.

And to let go...

You really have to laugh :lol:

:)

Appreciate the responses. It was as I expected, and I am grateful for the confirmation.

Glad I could put a smile on your face freeform :) I recognised the irony of this thread after having just posted it.

Letting go, acceptance, silence, absence of expectations, non-attachment... All points to the results of deep meditation.

Appears there is nothing left for me to do but practice.

Yours humbly,

James

Edited by .broken.

Glad I could put a smile on your face freeform :) I recognised the irony of this thread after having just posted it.

:)

If only you knew how much I get to laugh at my own self-inflicted irony.

it keeps things fun! enjoy your practice!

Sign in to follow this