Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

Mixing meditations?

What do you think about doing different meditations in the same set?

I do Mantak Chia's 'Microcosmic Orbit' and Chunyi Lin's 'Small Universe' and standing meditation.

but I'd want to start doing Elemental Fusion and Iron Shirt if it wasn't a waste of time to do so.

lol

one step at a time my friend; personally i think chunyi lin's small universe is a more effective practice for the MO than mantak chia's, if you want results faster just practice it two times a day instead of once.

yeah I think the Chunyi Lin's is more effective at clearing the channels but Mantak's more effective at empowering the channels. This is what it feels like anyways. This is mostly only because Mantak's 'Basic Sitting' meditation for MO pulls in mother earth energy, and than also from the higher self.

I think any training in the orbit is a waste of time without a qualified teacher.

Mixing practices out of a book is of no value and will most likely be counterproductive.

I think any training in the orbit is a waste of time without a qualified teacher.

Mixing practices out of a book is of no value and will most likely be counterproductive.

Chunyi Lin has spoken over teleconference saying that you can do level 1, 2 and 3 of SFQ without a teacher to see the benefits. In level 1 you do a good meditation on the MO although he doesn't call it MO. It's on recording, plus a book. But as far as MO goes, what guidance could a teacher give that he couldn't speak?

When you are doing something wrong.

I've not seen the Spring Forest stuff, but it all seems to be good stuff from what I've been told.

I have reservations with some of Mantak Chia's stuff, as he teaches some exercises in a way I feel is dangerous, (based on having been taught identical stuff directly from a master some years back). I don't want to go into detail regarding that-it was 'inside the door' teaching that I am not at liberty to publicise-so feel free to take or leave my opinion as you wish.

Not mixing practices is pretty good advice. If you are going to do so, then having a teacher around is a very good idea.

Best,

Mike

words taken.

I meet a t'ai chi teacher tommorow for the first time. hopefully I will be at liberty to talk to him about qigong instead of just taiji

I'll post a thread with his website to see if anybody knows of him...

Guest sykkelpump

What do you think about doing different meditations in the same set?

I do Mantak Chia's 'Microcosmic Orbit' and Chunyi Lin's 'Small Universe' and standing meditation.

but I'd want to start doing Elemental Fusion and Iron Shirt if it wasn't a waste of time to do so.

You need to do the active exersise on spring forest qi gong so you start to open the channels before small universe that will give you much better results.And Imo just give up the mantak chia stuff.rather add ordinary meditation

You need to do the active exersise on spring forest qi gong so you start to open the channels before small universe that will give you much better results.And Imo just give up the mantak chia stuff.rather add ordinary meditation

you might be right, but I know later on my path Chia's stuff will be invaluable

My friend, you really need to pin down ONE set of practices and stick to that for at least six months. I have noticed that you have asked questions on quite a few different practices. I used to be exactly the same. I would get into something and then read/hear about something else, get sidetracked, and before you know it, back to square one again.

I'm not going to tell you what practice to do, but I can give a little advice based on what I've experienced so far.

Stay away from energy moving practices such as MCO, Kundalini etc. They will lead to instability of the mind and unless guided by a legitimate master, can be very dangerous to health.

This is the way of the EGO.

Do not LOOK for results, they will come with consistent practice.

For the mind/self

Make time each day to just sit and observe. Don't force anything. Don't follow the thoughts. Just be aware. Do not judge, compare or discriminate.

For the body/energy

Practice a moving qigong/neigong such as an internal arts form followed by some standing post.

Slow down. Take your time. Eat healthy foods.

Don't expect anything.

Everything will reveal itself to you in time.

This is the essence of Wu Wei.

Adept

words taken.

I meet a t'ai chi teacher tommorow for the first time. hopefully I will be at liberty to talk to him about qigong instead of just taiji

I'll post a thread with his website to see if anybody knows of him...

You haven't even started practicing anything with him/her and you're worrying about additional training.

Take a step back.

See if you can focus just on the process of meeting this teacher. Really try to be there with him/her. Talk to them about your hopes and aspirations from your practice. What are you looking for? Ask their advice.

Don't be too focused on what you think you want or need in practice. Open yourself up to the experience a bit. If you've already decided what you think you need, you will miss the opportunity to relate to this teacher and see if they are what you are looking for.

Just my $.02.

you all make sense to me, thank you.

I was just talking to my girfriend today about how I think I might be in too much of a hurry in my practice...

I think I should just take a step back, and just practice breath awareness(as suggested). Along with t'ai chi, I will be doing myself good.

Right before i came back and saw these posts I practiced breath awareness and felt something new. I also found dhamma.org and hope to go to a 10-day retreat next month.

now my question is...

I want to meditate for my mind, but have some practice for my health. I'm a little out of shape with too much fat on my stomach. I'm eating healthier.. Would you still do yoga? or just t'ai chi?

also, what's a good book on reasonable nutrition, possibly with daoist or ayurvedic principles in it?

Edited by Pranaman

Sign in to follow this