GrandTrinity

Alchemy Weight Training

Anyone tried doing the micro/macro cosmic orbit breathing in sync with each rep? I just did it and I feel mad energized and was able to do more reps.

Anyone tried doing the micro/macro cosmic orbit breathing in sync with each rep? I just did it and I feel mad energized and was able to do more reps.

4208[/snapback]

yeah i do it with the hindu squats, since it already resembles one of the HT exercises and get great results. i don't do any weight training though. i also do it on teh bicyle some times.

Same as Peter..I often do it with hindu squats. Also it's great with the back bridge. This guy Lar Short that posts on Matt Furey's website/discussion says that bridging is great for qigong.

I don't really lift weights much anymore just some occasional Clubbell or kettlebell swinging but I don't see why it wouln't work also.

The problem with weights is weight training is very brief. You get to 10 reps or something and it's all over. With CC(combat conditioning) your literally doing hundreds of reps so it really helps to open things up.

Also CC makes you FOCUS. Weight training where reps are low doesnt' depand that same level of concentration. unless your doing poerlifting or something but thtas 1 rep and useless in regards to what your asking about.

in highschool i was pretty pumped... when i worked out i would do nei gung ang go crazy with my jing. this really really pumped me up. adrenaline will start pumping and you feel a pretty tough-feeling rush...

in highschool i was pretty pumped... when i worked out i would do nei gung ang go crazy with my jing. this really really pumped me up. adrenaline will start pumping and you feel a pretty tough-feeling rush...

4216[/snapback]

LOL!

LOL!

4217[/snapback]

:huh: what was there to laugh at? he said he does micro when he works out I say I did nei gung ..? Am I that pathetic?

:huh:  what was there to laugh at? he said he does micro when he works out I say I did nei gung ..? Am I that pathetic?

4223[/snapback]

YES YA *ARE*.

ALL GAY MILLITARY PEOPLE BE PATTHETIC.

JOIN DA MONTANA MILLITIA INSTEAD, N BECOME A HETTEROSEXUAL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron mentioned that he does micro while running.

4221[/snapback]

YEA I AM TRAININ FOR DA MARRATHON NOW N I DO MICCROCOSMIC N HUEVOS BAILE WHEN RUNNIN.

I ALSO LEARNED A ANCESTOR MEDDITATION PRACTICE FrOM A TARAHUMARA INDIAN.

WHEN YA RUN, YA VISSUALIZE YER DEAD ELDER MEN AROUND N BEHIND YA, BARE-CHESTED, WIRY, N READY FOR BATLE. THEY RUN WITH YA IN SILENCE, IN COLD WARIOR MODE.

BYE NOW

Ron,

You are training for a marathon???

When is it and how goes the training?

Matt

4253[/snapback]

DA L.A. MARRATHON BE IN MARCH.

FOR RIGHT NOW, MY TRAININ BE VERY SIMPLE, JUST RUNNIN LONG DISTANCES 4 DAYS/WEEK WITH PLENTY O HILL RUNNIN N PLENTY O SPRINTS. EVVERY WEEK I RUN 5 MINUTES LONGER. RIGHT NOW AM RUNNIN ABOUT 1.5 HOURS A DAY. IN 6 MONTHS MY PLAN BE TO BE ABLE TO RUN 4 HOURS A DAY.

I GO RUNNIN UP GRIFFITH PARK IN DA MORNIN N AM WORKIN ON MY HILL RUNNIN TECHNIQUE RIGHT NOW. TO RUN UP HILL I RUN SHORTER FASTER STEPS N CURSE A LOT, THAT BE MINE TECHNIQUE.

BYE NOW

Beware running advice from a non runner - such as myself.

I have two non traditional running books. Chi Running by Danny Dreyer, a relatively new book. Dreyer is an ultra marathoner who has studied running through the eyes, advice and training of Tai Chi masters.

Body, Mind & Sport by John Douillard is a triathlete looking at running and sports through the eyes of Ayurvedic Physicians.

Both say the average American is doing something very wrong. Chi Running find the solution in better posture. His running posture has a tilt starting at the ankle not the waist. To get a feeling for it stand a foot and a half from a wall, keep your body straight and lean so your head is against the wall.

Your feet 'catch' you instead of acting partly as brakes as in traditional running. Your feet do a small roundish march, never getting much in front of the body.

Two practices from the book are 1. Jog in place for 15 seconds. next just raise your feet up and down. Raising your feet is much easier isn't it? You're also landing flat not with your heel, which he feels is safer. To get a feeling for the small rounded marching you imagine you have a pole sticking out from your ankles. You have to step over it.

Other things, keep a cadence of 80 to 90 steps a minutes, expand your length to go faster. Posture and relaxation first, then distance, speed work comes last.

Body, Mind and Sport wants to turn you into the Ultimate Athlete. He pretty guarantees you will get drastically WORSE for the first few months of training. Why because its based on a simple premise. Go as far and as fast as you can while keeping your heart beat at 50% of its max and using slow breaths through the nose.

Most athletes find themselves going way over there 50% max heart beat in the few minutes of a run. Many are absolutely pavlovian in the way there heart rates jump the moment they start.

Using Doullard's method requires a heart rate monitor and the acceptance of going back to squaire one. But after a few months the magic (so he says happens), effortlessness. Running becomes a high, your body is never building up oxygen or lactic acid debts. There is no grind just effortlessness.

Being from an Indian heritage he is a great believer in doing the sun salutation before any exercise. Dreyer is a big believer in 'draining' the legs after a run to make them fresh again. You lie down by a wall, bent at the waist w/ your feet resting up against it. Message from the calves to the thighs, 'wringing' out the stale blood. Relax in that position for about 3 minutes. He claims this will give you fresh legs much sooner.

Doullard is a great believer in long slow, 'Darth Vader' breaths. Dreyer says don't be afraid of letting the breath get heavy, its natural.

Both books are very good. Chi Running is more running based, Body Mind Sport has a long description of body types so chapter 2-12 are optional.

I told Yoda I'd mail him the Chi Running book, then got into re-reading it, then couldn't find it. How many books do I have? Too many.

Yoda I have both books & will send them to you. Both should resonate well w/ your bare foot style. I recommend anyone into running to look into them.

Against wifes wishes went to the huge tented Brandeis book fair. Only got 6 books. Top book so far, Margot Anand's Sexual Magic, an interesting combintation of being very explicit(in a Dr. Lin way) while bringing a sacred element to sexual affairs.

Peace

Michael

Michael

Michael, I bought the Chi Running book and haven't been able to get through it.

Ron, just some friendly advice, 4 hours per day is WAY to much. You should be able to run the marathon in that time or a little slower if that is your circumstance. If you are running 1.5 hours per day that is a LOT! Rest is SO important - balance yin and yang! Perhaps you will have better luck than I have in the past, but I have gotten injured everytime I have trained for marathons. Check out Hal Higdon's marathon plans to get a sense of what it takes. 4 hours per day will drain you and place you at signifigant risk for injury unless you are a professional athlete (are you?) plus the other thing to consider is the effect of alcohol (unless you stopped drinking) becuase it can create some serious problems if you are pushing your body - even at 1 1/2 hours a day.

Here is a link to Hal's recommended training programs...

http://www.halhigdon.com/#marathon

Beginners program:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

Hope you find this useful. Oh yea, if you want to borrow my Chi Running book, let me know I will mail it to you...

Matt

THANKS MOFOS FOR DA CUM-CERNS N DA TIPS.

I AGGREE ON KEEPIN DA HEART BEAT LOW. DA POWER O MINE RUNNIN DEVVELOP FROM TWO AREAS, ONE BE DA LINE JOININ DA TWO HIP BONES, DA OTHER BEIN DA BELT CHANEL.

MINE STYLE O RUNNIN BE REAL SWINGIN SIDE-TO-SIDE N WITH LOW HANDS ALMOST DOWN TO DA KNEES. THEN WHEN I SRPINT, I SLAP DA AIR BEHIN MINE ARSE WITH MINE PALMS.

IF YA BE INTERRESTED IN DA RUNNIN MEDDITATION, I RECOMMEND READIN ABOUT DA TARAHUMARA INDIANS. THEY BE DA INDIANS THAT GO HUNT ANNIMALS BY CHASIN THEM TIL DA ANNIMALS DROP EXHAUSTED.

WHAT DA TARAHUMARA DO, THEY GET DEADDRUNK N THEN THEY GO ON RITTUAL RUNS LASTIN SEVVERAL DAYS. THEY DO THAT LATE IN THEIR 60'S AS WELL.

THEIR STAPPLE DIETE BE MAINLY CORN N BEAZNS. THEY DRINK ALCOHOL N THEY ALSO EAT DA PEYOTTE CACTUS WHICH THEY CAN EAT BEFFOR GOIN ON 40 MILE RITTUAL RUNS.

LOOK WHAT RISE DA HEART BEAT N CAUSE INJURRY BE DA CUM-PETTITION OBSESION. ONCE YA GIVE UP DA CUM=PETTITION IDEA, THEN RUNNIN BE NO-THANG BUT A NATTURAL ACTIVITY SUCH AS EATIN OR FARTIN.

ONE PRACTICE O MINE BE RUNNIN SHORT DISTANCES WITH MINE EYES CLOSED. OF COURSE YA GOTTA KNOW DA TERRAIN ELSE YALL BUMP INTO SUM PROBLEM.BUT IT REALY IMPROVE DA SMOOTHNESS O DA RUNNIN STYLE.

BYE NOW

Kickin thread!!!

Today, I sampled various taoism on the run practices--micro, inner smiles, five animal channelling, ancestor channelling, etc.

Microcosmic orbit while running really gets me high and a bit light headed. It has that effect when I do it sitting, but it's even stronger when running.

It was fun to run with the animals and ancestors but my ancestors kept showing up as South American Indians!!! I guess Ron's imagery of the practice just got stuck in my head.

By the way, go to national geographic website and search for gene study... for $100 they do a gene test on you and find out your direct maternal and direct paternal lineages and they'll give you ongoing updates as the study continues. They'll track your ancestry for thousands of years. Already, they have discovered that all human beings are the descendent of one mother 60,000 years ago. They don't ask for your identity and you can do the whole thing through a PO Box or a friend's address and remain totally confidential if you want to keep your bloodline secret from the men in black and the grays and all that.

Mrs Yoda and I will check it out.

Running rocks as a practice and is very helpful to help digest/process/distribute energies from other practices esp. standing, sungazing, and sexual cultivation.

Running is better than kettlebells and combat conditioning for me b/c KBs and CC I'm looking at my watch after 10 minutes and usually quit at or before 15 minutes and that's not long enough to really get into a nice groove, plus there's lots of stop and start action in that short period of time.

Once I get into the groove of running, I'll throw in pistols and yes...one arm pullup training... its time has come! I'll finally get it this time around and beat Plato to the grail.

Cool about sun salutations to kick off a session--before running I do my sungazing just to get charged up.

I like Ron's training. Like his other projects, it's unorthodox but there's a very deep and well thought out logic behind it. Always important to consider his angle on things.

There's a book out there on how African runners train. They train hard. I'll check it out at some point.

-Yoda

Here's a bit on the Tarahumara indians:

http://www.lehigh.edu/dmd1/public/www-data/art.html

To my disapointment, they do not run barefoot if they can help it. They use tire tread sandals, but those often fall apart during a race and they simply do without. They ran barefoot back in the day, of course.

They run marathon distances daily! It's my theory that since they don't have to mess with padded shoes, their stride is more natural and energy efficient and less prone to injury--hence they can handle the mileage. Perhaps wearing racing flats is a way to replicate their current training.

Interesting that their competitive success in the Ultramarathons seems to run hot and cold.

Also, one of the Tarahumara winners of an Ultramarathon was 55 years old as cited in the above article.

-Yoda

Serious runners know the Tarahuma Indian runners are wimps. For dedicated long distance runners we should turn to Japan! Namely the Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei. (actual book by John Stevens, google it)

They run the equivalent of 3 marathons a day for 3 years, round and round there sacred mountain. Afterwards comes the death fast. I forget the length, I think its 7 days, no food, Water or Sleep. Its shortened from the 'old' days because they were losing too many monks.

The monastery is still around and they do draw amateurs who try to follow for as long as possible.

Peace

Michael

I've been pretty out of shape. I joined a boot camp last April. Its helped me lose a few pounds and get a bit more wind back. Its just one hour 4 days a week. Mostly callistenics w/ little rest and a bit of brutality mixed in, ie things like, you will keep this 5 pound weight resting on your raised feet until your partner runs 4 laps. Then you run 4 laps as they have their feet raised 6 inches w/ 5 pound weight, this goes on 3 cycles no rest. On the third he surprises you by expanding it to sprint 5 laps.

After having one pair of shoes for 2 years, I bought Nike's Barefoot sneakers. They're nice, just spandex on top and a light weight heel.

YO MICCHAEL MAKE SURE YA *DONT* GIVE UP QUAFFIN DA BREW OK???

TODDAY I HAD TWO GUINES EXTRA STOUT FOR BRAKE-FAST N THEN I RAN TO GRIFITH OBSERVATTORY, THAT WAS SUM-THANG.

ONE REASON FOR EXCESIVE INJURRY IN ENDURRANCE TYPE O TRAININ CAN BE A HI-PROTTEIN DIET. THAT MAKE DA INFLAMATION WORSE. I AM SWITCHIN TO MACROBIOTIC DIET FOR MINE MARRATHON TRAININ NOW.

ANNOTHER REASON BE DA BIULD-UP O TRIGER POINTS IN DA MUSCLES. FOR THAT I RE-CUM-MAND DA TRIGER POINT BOOK: http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN I GOT BACK TO RUNIN I SPRAINNED MINE ANKLE. THEN WHAT HAPENED I SPRAINNED IT AGGAIN GODDAMIT!!! THEN I HAD THIS CONSTANT PAIN IN MINE MALLAOLI. THEN DWORKIN A PERRONNEUS TRIGER POINT RIGHT BELLOW DA KNEE FIXED IT.

A THIRD REASON (MOST IMPORTANT!!!) BE EJACCULATORY SEX. IF YA SPRAY YER BULLS MILK, YALL HAVE WEAK KNEES N YALL GET INJURRED.

BOTH DA MICRO- N DA MACRO-COSMICS BE POWERFUL PRACTICE DURIN DA RUN. ALSO A SIMPLIFFIED VERSION O DA MACCROCOSMIC NOT INVOLVIN DA ARMS BE OK.

ALSO DA HUEVOS BREATH BE GREAT. OLE' EL BAILE DE LOS HUEVOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serious runners know the Tarahuma Indian runners are wimps. For dedicated long distance runners we should turn to Japan! Namely the Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei. (actual book by John Stevens, google it)

they're all wimps compared to the apaches. those guys could run 3 days nonstop without resting. then they'd have a big celebatin where they'd eat and dance for three days more without sleeping. tough motherfuckers. did fox running or scout running. but we've talked about this before so you can search the threads.

not many apaches today can still do this.

Tarahuma are basically Apaches who live just south of the border, yes? I've heard of Marathon Monks but I thought that they walked incessantly.

Low protien? I noticed that the Tarahumas ate lots of carbs. I've been low carb to keep the flab off, but maybe if I start running a lot I can switch over.

Wait! I just googled around and the Lung gompa monks of Tibet make the Tarahuma and the Marathon Monks look like couch potatoes. And they get some stargazing trancework in while they are at it.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:lTOhC...s&hl=en&start=8

-Y

Why I bet the Marathon monks could run down those apache and Taruma's and club'em to death w/ there sacred running sticks. :)

RJ, I bought that Trigger Point book a couple of months ago(at your reccomendation). As I said, I have a lot of books.

Super distance running. I think Dillard has an answer w/ his training based on keeping a very slow heart rate. And I think Chi Running offers a superior style of running.

I myself, tested out as very poor at the start of the year as far as endurance was concerned. A month and half ago I was rated NA on a 12 minute treadmill run I had to take before I started bootcamp. (.88 miles in 12 minute, heart rate 189)

I take NA to mean of the thousand people they measure to get a percentile range, I was ranked 1001, thus Not Available was my percentile score. Not to show I am too pathetic, I was ranked 80% in pushups. My measly 27 sit ups ranked me in the 40% percentile.

After 7 weeks of boot camp I'm doing nearly 50 pushups at a time and 70 or 80 sit ups. Likewise my endurance measured by a treadmill is has gone from very poor to a hair above average in 40-50 year old range(I'm 40). Thus average for the 30 - 40 year olds.

Speaking of Guiness, I'm currently imbibing a shot or two of dry rum w/ several frozen black cherries and a drop of two of vanilla and squees of lemon. Tasty, but empty calories. As a famous drinking philosopher once said, 'Yes alchohol kills off brain cells, But it kills off the slow, weaker ones, leaving the mind quicker and more agile for their loss.'

Peas

Michael

Very interesting stuff! Wow! You mean it is actually alright to drink and smoke and run? there is a God! lol Sign me up!!! The only downside I saw was that the life expectancy of a Tarahumara was 45 years old :( I don't want to live in this body forever, but at least to be around for grandkids would be nice ;)

On Chi Running, please please please tell me there is a video!!!!!!! I just really have a hard time with his writing style and imo inability to get to the point (technique). I don't need to be convinced about chi, etc. Ya know? It reminds me of the Total Immersion Swimming book (which is excellent but a brutal read yet a great way to learn effortless swimming!!!) Is there a way you would sum it up in short Michael (that wouldn't take too much of your time)??? Does he recap anywhere or any tips on navigating the book?

What the abilities of these runners points to is the power of Mind, Shen or Spirit. Tap into this and everything is possible. Yet, later heaven remains dense in matter.

Thanks for the trigger point book link. That is something that is right up my alley with this car accident stuff - been six months and still unable to release the knots and pain from these muscles. I did have some issues before the accident with my neck area so who knows, probably processing life stuff. Intense "communication" with the Source can bring up lots of stuff to process, ugh... But I wouldn't trade it for anything :)

Matt

YO MATT SO WHAT KINDA INJURRIES DID YA EXPERIENCE N HOW DID YA DO IN DA ACTUAL MARRATHON? DID YA FINISH? HOW LONG DID YA TAKE IT?

DA TRIGER POINT BOOK FIXED A LOT O PROBLEMS FOR ME. DA ONLY THANG BE THAT YA EITTHER NEED AN EXPERRIENCED THERRAPIST TO SHOW YA HOW TO HIT DA SPOTS, OR YA NEED TO EXPLORE YER MUSCLES USIN LOTS O PRESSURE TO FIND DA TRIGER POINTS. DA SIGN THAT YA FOUND DA TRIGER POINT BE, 1) THEY HURT LIKE DA DEVIL, N 2) THEY SEND REFERED PAIN TO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

LIKE, I HAD THIS TRIGER POINT RIGHT UNDER DA KNEE ON DA OUTTER SIDE, N IT WOULD SEND DA PAIN TO DA SPRAINED ANKLE. ANNOTHER CLASIC TRIGER POINT FOR RUNNERS BE ABOVE DA KNEE IN DA QUAD, SEND PAIN RITHGH BELOW DA KNEE CAP.

I AM HAVIN A BLAST RUNNIN, HAVE BEEN GOIN ALL DA WAY UP TO GRIFITH OBSERVATTORY N HAVE REACHED A POINT THAT AT A RELAXED PACE MINE HEART BEAT DONT GO UP. TO INCREASE DA BASE PACE I GUESS ILL HAVE TO GO DO SUM SPEED WORK ON DA TRACK BUT ILL LEAVE THAT PHASE FOR WHEN I CAN RUN 4 HOURS STRAIGHT WHICH BE A FEW MONTHS DOWN DA ROAD.

THIS MORNIN ME WAS HAVIN THIS THOUGHT WHILE RUNNIN ALL ALONE UP DA MOUNTAIN, IF IT BE POSIBLE TO DO SOLO CULTIVVATION AKA SPANKIN DA BABOON WHILE RUNNIN, THAT'D BE COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4309[/snapback]

Ron,

I was rear ended at a traffic light causing whiplash and then pushed into a car in front of me causing the lower back problems. Fortunately no disc problems, all soft tissue (I guess that is fortunate??). Anyway, I have had PT and Massage Therapist work on trigger points and oh yea man they REALLY REALLY hurt! Never felt more pain in my life. What I need is to be able to learn ways to help myself when and where I need it, ya know?

I have never run more than 17 miles becuase I have historically gotten injured when getting up there in milage. Been happening since college (last 19 years) :( so I have done shorter distance races and triathlons (not iron man though). So much for being half Kenyan, lol! Must be my German side that is holding me back :)

I am glad you are having fun with the running! that is awesome!

Matt

Ron,

I was rear ended at a traffic light causing whiplash and then pushed into a car in front of me causing the lower back problems. Fortunately no disc problems, all soft tissue (I guess that is fortunate??).  Anyway,  I have had PT and Massage Therapist work on trigger points and oh yea man they REALLY REALLY hurt!  Never felt more pain in my life.  What I need is to be able to learn ways to help myself when and where I need it, ya know?

I have never run more than 17 miles becuase I have historically gotten injured when getting up there in milage.  Been happening since college (last 19 years) :( so I have done shorter distance races and triathlons (not iron man though).  So much for being half Kenyan, lol! Must be my German side that is holding me back :)

I am glad you are having fun with the running! that is awesome!

Matt

4311[/snapback]

GET ONE O THESE: http://www.theracane.com/ IN ADITION TO DA TRIGER POINT BOOK N YA'LL BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE O YER KNOTS, (EXCEPT DA BIG ONE, FOR THAT YA NEED DA PEACH) ALSO MAKE SURE YA STREACH REAL WELL DA PSOAS MUSCLE IN DA ABDOMMEN FOR YER LOWER BACK PAIN.

WOAH HALF KENIAN, HAVE EVER BEEN THERE? I HEAR IT BE AGREAT COUNRTY, BIG BOOBED BIG ASSED LUSCIOUS PEACHES IN THERE!!!! SO THEY SAY!!! SHOULD GO THERE MESELF!!!

BYE NOW