Sign in to follow this  
Xienkula1

The Girl Who Silenced The World For 5 Minutes

What a beautiful, chilling. and thrilling speech.

She is right - each of us should examine our values and act based on them.

Sadly, some of her hopes are not achievable.

Our species has lost balance with nature through technology.

That's a tough one to solve with technology, which is the only approach we seem to understand.

:o

Very moving speech. Excellent orator. If she grew up to be President perhaps we could have a brighter future.

There would have to be a radical change in thought and understanding so profound as to affect the entire globe before we could possibly build a better future.

I remember reading somewhere that it would probably mean a loss of life to billions and a return to almost the stone age before we could could change our current path.

Personally I think the earth will survive. It would kill us off before we could kill it. Thats for sure.

Quite a depressing topic.

Off to focus on the joys of life whilst everyone else is making a quick $ :D

This speech was from 16 years ago...

Good youthful enthusiasm and idealistic concern.

Sprinkled with political naivete and not offering any real alternatives, though. Which is why it ultimately had no real effect.

It's easy to remain blissfully ignorant.

Less easy to make speeches railing against the status quo.

And much harder to actually devise better solutions.

But, the last is what actually creates the real change.

We need smarter politics and greener technology. We need to close the loop on product lifecyles by converting waste to fuel or fertilizers. And we need to talk less and do more about it.

I expected something more after all the build up. It was just some naive kid spouting the communist/marxist dream.

I expected something more after all the build up. It was just some naive kid spouting the communist/marxist dream.

With all due respect, I didn't see it like that at all.

To me it was a passionate, heartfelt plea for compassion and awareness.

Vortex is right:

"It's easy to remain blissfully ignorant.

Less easy to make speeches railing against the status quo.

And much harder to actually devise better solutions.

But, the last is what actually creates the real change."

Her speech was awesome but unless it offered solutions its not much use. There are solutions out there. But lets be honest. They won't happen because the people in control will not change the system. Hell, they created the system for their own benefit. Why would they want to change it? Even if they could see the long term effects.

If the world goes to pot. Who will be on the shuttles off to space? The last survivors? And guess who they are going to blame.

Mans greed far outweighs his need!

Sign in to follow this