Pranaman

MMA vs taichi?

There is too many variables to compare the two. MMA is specifically for cage rules fighting and there are many different types of taiji and levels.

I have done jujitsu and taiji.

This has been flogged to death in other forums and usually ends in bitch fights between 15 year olds.

:rolleyes:

ahh i hear that. I just saw another thread on an almost identical topic anyway. the best way for me to find out is to spar against a brawler with taiji apps, i heard something, probably off the other thread about learning taiji and kung fu together. My soon to be teacher teaches yang and chen taiji and also kungfu and I-chuan so i'm sure he can teach me to fight. But there's always a maybe so or maybe not.

A very good fighter once told me that the best way to learn to fight is to fight a lot with people trained in all styles with as few rules as possible. He was an amazing streetfighter with a little formal boxing training and a lot of guts and practice. He would pick fights at a local park for practice and always won.

I saw MMA guys get thrashed in real street scenarios and in night clubs when i worked as a Body Guard for Jay z and for some promoters here in South FL.

MMA has its strengths but its designed for the cage & the ring not the street and not the Night club and it's not designed to deal with multiple attackers.

TAI JI

BAGUA

XING YI

KUNTAO

PENCAK SILAT

are all designed to be able to handle 8 people per person. Remember these where the original royal guard arts of the ancient kings sultans & emperors. The warriors of old had much more time and refinement in their training than the warriors of today. Also there was no separation from Energy cultivation and combat training so they had the WHOLE picture or pie to eat.

There are folks out there today who know what's up in the energy & fighting sides of the art but they lay low and usually coincidentally work in L.E.O/military, or Executive Protection.

So yeah in my opinion an internal guy well trained in what he does can easily take out anyone attacking them.

If your art looks like what is done in prison cells, and or the worst places on the planet in terms of crime then you probably have an art that will definitely give you the edge to survive real conflict.

Think slums of China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, you wil probably find some bad asses there that know how to work both sides of the combative arts.

Peace

Santiago

Edited by Vajrasattva

I spent 14 years studying martial arts. The ability to meditate deeply and sustain a quiet mind is whats going to save and prolong your life.

The MMA fighter who beats every Tai Chi fighter might well end up forced to quit his art in his 30's, arthritic in his 40's and dead by 70. Whereas the defeated Tai Chi player is still at the top of his game in 70's and 80's.

One michaels opinion :)

A few years ago in Tain City, I met a fighter who only studied about 1 and a half yrs of Wugong (Martial Discipline) He was a had core fighter too. Fought many, and lost one, almost lost his life. After that one fight, he quit fighting for 20yrs. He met me, and we had a good friendship. Don't know where he is now though.

We crossed hands for a few. Had our differences in how we would handle things, but still held respect for eachother.

Martial arts depends on the person. If they can understand physics, and application, then it wouldn't matter

what they study. Sometimes a 20yr practitioner can have an off-day and get beat by a novice.

Peace,

Lin