Sign in to follow this  
mat black

children

(this toipc deserves a thread of it's own, it's too important)

I have to wait years for my apple tree to bear fruit. If the tree produces flowers & small fruit in the developmental years, i remove them, otherwise, if i allow the fruit to grow when the tree is young, it will weaken the tree's overall integrity.

A novice gardener might leave the fruit on a young tree thinking 'this is great, it's fruiting so early'

But an experienced farmer will tell you, not to let young tree fruit.

Likewise, as a general rule for people to follow, kids shouldn't do healing at such young ages. It can draw on their yuan qi reserves which can make them physically weak.

Some children also have their 3rd eye open and use it. However, when young, the 'roots' of their tree aren't deep enough yet - they don't have sufficient jing/qi reserves, in which case, it's better to have the 3rd eye closed because using it when young can weaken the body.

People need to careful and well informed about teaching and allowing children to practice anything that involves manipulation of energy.

Keep things safe and gentle - particularly when young. Daoyin is ideal.

Edited by mat black

My tree will bear no fruit other than that which I share with others. By choice, very fertile, SKF.

Audubon Society say more swallows = less storks.

Sorry mat, infinite blessings upon your children...please carry on without me...

Edited by xenolith

I like the analogy of the tree very much, but my experience has been quite different.

My daughter was fascinated with silent meditation. She always wanted to come to the zendo with me, and she would sit with us for hours.

My son was totally disinterested, but he loved martial arts. He would train with me doing that for hours. Chi Kung included. Daughter thought it was stupid, and wanted nothing to do with it.

:)

Most masters have trained since childhood. In fact I've never met one who didn't.

But things are different in western countries. Giving the child what they are willing to take seems to be the way to go within our cultural context. It isn't the only way. I was literally forced to practice at a very young age. I hated martial arts until I was in my late teens. Then I couldn't get enough.

Now I like doing my practices in a balanced way, just an hour or so a day. As a child I thought an hour was too long. As a teen it was too short.

Now it's just right.

(this toipc deserves a thread of it's own, it's too important)

I have to wait years for my apple tree to bear fruit. If the tree produces flowers & small fruit in the developmental years, i remove them, otherwise, if i allow the fruit to grow when the tree is young, it will weaken the tree's overall integrity.

A novice gardener might leave the fruit on a young tree thinking 'this is great, it's fruiting so early'

But an experienced farmer will tell you, not to let young tree fruit.

Likewise, as a general rule for people to follow, kids shouldn't do healing at such young ages. It can draw on their yuan qi reserves which can make them physically weak.

Some children also have their 3rd eye open and use it. However, when young, the 'roots' of their tree aren't deep enough yet - they don't have sufficient jing/qi reserves, in which case, it's better to have the 3rd eye closed because using it when young can weaken the body.

People need to careful and well informed about teaching and allowing children to practice anything that involves manipulation of energy.

Keep things safe and gentle - particularly when young. Daoyin is ideal.

-----------------

interesting. it is tough for a child to be open when the majority of children cannot look you into the eyes and have stone faces. so how exactly do you close down an open eye on your child?

I like the analogy of the tree very much, but my experience has been quite different.

My daughter was fascinated with silent meditation. She always wanted to come to the zendo with me, and she would sit with us for hours.

My son was totally disinterested, but he loved martial arts. He would train with me doing that for hours. Chi Kung included. Daughter thought it was stupid, and wanted nothing to do with it.

:)

Most masters have trained since childhood. In fact I've never met one who didn't.

But things are different in western countries. Giving the child what they are willing to take seems to be the way to go within our cultural context. It isn't the only way. I was literally forced to practice at a very young age. I hated martial arts until I was in my late teens. Then I couldn't get enough.

Now I like doing my practices in a balanced way, just an hour or so a day. As a child I thought an hour was too long. As a teen it was too short.

Now it's just right.

Nice post man. :) Thanks for sharing and showing a balanced perspective, it's obvious you know what you're doing.

What i was mainly intending to warn about was kids treating and healing others.

the subject reminds me of discussions of training kids in general whether for specific disciplines or just general schooling.

It sounds like discipline and drilling have fallen out of vogue in favor of the keep-it-fun philosophy.

Whatever they are drawn to is a good rule of thumb.

I also agree with Matt that third eye practices and other potentially far out practices and healing work should be postponed in the same way that heavy weight lifting is discouraged in the young.

Having said that, I think that all children are natural tonglen healers and take on the negativity of those around them like sponges which can be overwhelming for them.

The answer is to do one's best to keep the energy around children as clean, happy, and as relaxing as possible, to reduce television exposure, and to make sure they spend time outside.

-----------------

so how exactly do you close down an open eye on your child?

a good qigong master can do it. It is definitley necessary some times. At a young age, to have it open can cause 'leaks'

YODA

the subject reminds me of discussions of training kids in general whether for specific disciplines or just general schooling

Yeah, that's a better way of establishing the topic than what i originaly said, 'cause as you and nightwatchdog both mention, there are diifferent ways of training kids.

The thing i was mainly drawing caution to was things involving 3rd eye, healing etc. Physical based training on the other hand as long as it not too forceful, is good in so many ways of course.

I think that all children are natural tonglen healers and take on the negativity of those around them like sponges which can be overwhelming for them. The answer is to do one's best to keep the energy around children as clean, happy, and as relaxing as possible, to reduce television exposure, and to make sure they spend time outside.

Yeah, things that cultivate their health, keep them clean & flowing. Nurture nurture.

Edited by mat black

Sign in to follow this