Sign in to follow this  
turbo

Juicing

I know there are some juicers here, and I am considering the purchase of a juicing machine. Anyone care to make a recommendation as to a machine, or share some juicing recepies.

Cheers

I'm not a juicer but I do use something called the "Total Nutrition Center". It's basically a glorified blender and turns anything you put into it into baby food.

Basically, rather than juice -- which is really often a lot of sugar and vitamins -- what you get with TNC is all the fiber and other complex aspects of whole food that are filtered out by juicing.

Doesn't sound appetizing? It is actually. It's like a thick shake. You can use it to make thick soups (hot or cold), or to "drink" your fruits and veggies. I usually have it in the morning an go heavy on the fruits. I find if you throw some apple juice in there for added sweetness, you can pretty much throw anything in and it will taste good.

It depends on what you want to juice, but the Single Auger Juicers are one of the most efficient at squeezing every last bit of juice out. They also work well for juicing Wheat Grass. Wheat grass is practically a perfect food and greatly aids in health.

The Healthy Juicer - Manual Auger Juicer - $34.99

It's inexpensive and gets the job done.

Omega 8003 Juicer (White) - $229.00

Omega 8005 Juicer (Chrome)- $259.00

Very good products and if you are going to make juicing a way of life, it's a good investment.

I've purchased from them before and had good service. (I'm not affiliated with them.)

www.4juicers.com/juicers.html

There's a small little corner in the "Personal Practice Discussion" section titled

"Distinct recipes for...health, vitality, energy, medicine & more" that I started up but I have been slacking off with keeping the recipe flow. Thank you for the boot in the butt. :P I will make sure I start putting more in on a regular basis. There are a couple of recipes in there for juices, I have tons more. Smoothies, blends (yes, I love just blending up things and sometimes add juice, too. And apple is a great recommendation for that) and ices are a great way to reintroduce those much needed vitamins and minerals to your body.

There was also a discussion before about juice machines...but can't quite remember where...

-Jessica

I've got a green star. I don't know about nutritional value - but the juice seems to be of high quality. Recommended indeed!

If I had the money a "twin-gear juicer" would be my choice, but they cost about $100 more than a Single Auger Juicer. www.4juicers.com and www.discountjuicers.com are the same company.

Below is taken from http://www.discountjuicers.com

Twin Gear Press

These juicers have two gears that basically press out the juice of the produce. The screws turn at a low 90-110 rpm. It is very similar to two gears in a automobile transmission that mesh together. Basically, the produce is pushed (with some force) into the two gears, which first shreds, and then squeezes the produce. These machines are best for juicing vegetables since these machines rely on the fibrous cell wall to push the pulp through the machine. As a bonus, these machines will also juice wheatgrass (Generally a separate wheatgrass juicer is required to juice wheatgrass). The quality of the juice produced with these machines can be compared to the quality of the hydraulic press above. These machines are not for the"faint" or "frail" hearted as some pressure is needed to feed the produce into the machine. Machines in this category are the Green Power Juice Extractor, The Green Star Juice Extractor and the Samson Ultra Juicer. These juicers truly give "the best of both worlds" but there is one drawback: the price. They can be as much as two to three times the price of the Centrifugal or Mastication Juicers. While these juicers are best for juicing vegetables, the Green Power and Green Star machines have a fruit attachment available to help it better juice fruits. (We have successfully juiced hard apples, hard pears, watermelon with rind, and citrus successfully with these twin gear machines). The Green Power, Green Star and Samson Ultra are also able to homogenize as the Champion above, and make raw apple sauce, delicious fruit sorbets, nut butters, baby food. Included with the green power and green star is the pasta maker and mochi (Japanese rice cake) attachments. To read a head to head comparison of these style juicers, please see our article, twin gear showdown.

Sign in to follow this