shontonga

Would like to hear how others experience "Qi" ?

Taomeow ~

I Love The Tomato Qi! ... and how right after this post they started recalling all the tomatoes! :lol: Great!

Scotty~

Have heard of folks um?, naming their parts and pieces

But I HAVE NEVER, till now heard of one naming their energy?LOL! Henergy ?!

Is that the guy standing next to you in your avatar? ... am still trying to figure that out!

mwight~

I haven't studied much by name, but have played with stuff. Your descriptions sound familiar. Echo deep within. Bring back memories of the body being moved, folded,shook, burnt,frozen,Slowed to ... A lot of strange stuff for this kid. Have played with energy like/as mist , as fire, as water, as metal, and so many others, with each containing each other. Used to never get cold :D now ... been away from a lot for a while and am coming back to it slowly.

Jedi777~

IT ALWAYS CONFUSES ME!!! So many kninds of energy/qi! Think that was part of the draw to internal martial arts. There is already a language in place. Had hopes of being able to communicate better about such things! Still have to translate from the words me and one of my friends made up so long ago to try and figure stuff out. "Little Star"='s lower dan tiean and some such. Would love to hear any descriptions of any sort of qi. if you have a favorite kind ?

DarinHamel~

Oooh. Bubbles...

It's always been so hard to put this all into words. You do it beautifully. Emotions & Qi connections are clearly made. That's always been an interest of mine. Seeing it in myself and in others. Learned for self protection more than spiritual reasons initially but i have never really been able to separate such things very well! They seem to go hand in hand.

Thank you all for your responses.

What great experiences you have all lived, to know such things!

For being able to speak them and put such things to words?

and for making me smile and laugh!

Love it.

Thank you for sharing it all.

Such Great answers!

Thank you.

Bow ^_^

Shon

Stay well!

Edited by shontonga

The basic qi feels like...whipped airy crystalized butter, that moves in a cool liquid-like flow with intelligence, as in acceleration/deceleration, and it chooses the flow path.

Wondering how others experience Qi .

Do you have a word/name you prefer to call it?

Do you see, hear, feel, smell, or taste it ?

Is there times when the experience is greater?

I feel it! (This reminds me of silly video clip... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyWyk3PVAyw )

I call it qi, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I don't see, hear, feel, smell, or taste it. To me it has a different character that is not one of the 5 senses. My shifu says that Dao meditation develops a part of the brain that perceives qi that is like a 6th sense. This is a good enough explanation for me. It seems more like imagination to me. After all, what is not created by our brain?

Like Taomeow said, I feel it more when I pay attention!

I feel it! (This reminds me of silly video clip... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyWyk3PVAyw )

I call it qi, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I don't see, hear, feel, smell, or taste it. To me it has a different character that is not one of the 5 senses. My shifu says that Dao meditation develops a part of the brain that perceives qi that is like a 6th sense. This is a good enough explanation for me. It seems more like imagination to me. After all, what is not created by our brain?

Like Taomeow said, I feel it more when I pay attention!

on my lunch break,

and i just laughed my tail off !

Thank you, now i can go back and face the world

that's so bad :P

the part not felt, seen, tasted, heard, or smelt

I Like to call it spirited!

Thanks!

and "whipped airy crystalized butter"?

I love to hear folks descriptions!

that's cool!

Shon

When I do my tai chi or chi kung practice I feel heat up my back and running down my arm's into my hand's , my finger tip's become sweaty as does my top lip if I hold one hand over the other straight after practice I can feel tingling in the palm's and like a cushion of chi between them as well.

When I concentrate on my dan tian point I feel heat there and also pressure at the eye brow centre.

Would any one know why I would feel pressure at the eye brow centre when I concentrate on the dan tian ?.

SABRETOOTH.

Wondering how others experience Qi .

PS - Since you're looking for a variety of opinions, I should mention also something I've discussed before on this forum. My experience and understanding of qi is different than most (even my shifu) people describe or ascribe to. I feel it to be present everywhere, always, and beyond our control to change it's presence, absence, concentration, and so forth. To me what is happening is not a process of increasing qi or moving qi but simply tuning my awareness to it and moving my awareness. As I said earlier, I look at what is going on as tuning a part of my brain/awareness to this sense of qi (whatever that means) and gaining progressively increasing control over that awareness. Qi doesn't increase, my awareness of it simply intensifies. I don't move qi, I move my awareness - sort of like a radio tuner (so so analogy at best)... Now if you want to call that quality of awareness "qi", then we're left with a semantic argument that is moot.

Anyway - just my personal opinion derived through my practice.

After further intensive training, perhaps your Qi will travel?

Hey Allan!

Interesting article, Thank you for sharing it !

am not sure what backward flow meditation is exactly,

but think it may be like MCO stuff ? :unsure:

Had known energy stuff before i came to tai chi/martial arts/taoism stuff.

Afraid I don't always know what the names of things are ?

Was always taught if energy goes one way, it of corse goes the other way.

LOL, some things considered backwards are actually normal for me !

If It goes up it also goes down (and out!... funny that?)

If you can circulate energy one way it can be done the other

(NOT SUGGESTING To play with things like that unless

you have someone in yer life that's good at fixing you when you get F**ked up!!!)

Folks always tell me "Left hand is for receiving, Right hand is for sending/expressing/giving"

... I'm usually well behaved and don't tell them flat out that's a load of "frogs" :D

Folks like having rules to live by.To believe things are this way or that.

But seems they forget it's mostly just outlines!

not set in stone.

I'm Sorry.

I seem to ramble when I type?

Even more so when tired !

My Statements are not aimed at you at all :)

just observations of everyday life on this end!

Would like to know what you mean by Reverse flow meditation though?

Is it the Du and Ren Channels?

Other?

Stay well,

Thanks again!

When I do my tai chi or chi kung practice I feel heat up my back and running down my arm's into my hand's , my finger tip's become sweaty as does my top lip if I hold one hand over the other straight after practice I can feel tingling in the palm's and like a cushion of chi between them as well.

When I concentrate on my dan tian point I feel heat there and also pressure at the eye brow centre.

Would any one know why I would feel pressure at the eye brow centre when I concentrate on the dan tian ?.

SABRETOOTH.

Hi Sabretooth!

OHYEAH!

It gets Hot!

Does that happen if you do Standing stuff to ?

I have flat out HOT flashes if i do standing sometimes

or if i do tai chi real slow it gets Very Fiery!

Even in the winter.

Depending on intentions and how i play with it?

If you pay attention to the principals does it still happen like that?

Have some theories to your questions

but they are more just guesses than anything.

Know there are others on here with far

more knowledge of such things than me!

Hope to hear from them!

Thanks Sabretooth!

QUOTE(xuesheng @ Jun 12 2008, 03:05 AM)

PS - Since you're looking for a variety of opinions, I should mention also something I've discussed before on this forum. My experience and understanding of qi is different than most (even my shifu) people describe or ascribe to. I feel it to be present everywhere, always, and beyond our control to change it's presence, absence, concentration, and so forth. To me what is happening is not a process of increasing qi or moving qi but simply tuning my awareness to it and moving my awareness. As I said earlier, I look at what is going on as tuning a part of my brain/awareness to this sense of qi (whatever that means) and gaining progressively increasing control over that awareness. Qi doesn't increase, my awareness of it simply intensifies. I don't move qi, I move my awareness - sort of like a radio tuner (so so analogy at best)... Now if you want to call that quality of awareness "qi", then we're left with a semantic argument that is moot.

Anyway - just my personal opinion derived through my practice.

Hi Steve!

LOL,It sounds like my theories on pain!

In truth

I'd have to say that sounds right to me

but i still am at the point of Wanting to control it!

I know it's an illusion.

but i still want to

Do you have a "name" other than "Qi" for that?

That stuff that is underlies, connects all and fills in the spaces ?

For what you describe ?

All's qi to me!

but there is so many kinds/states/textures

what(other than "Qi") would you call this one?

Thanks!

Have fun!

Edited by shontonga

So ... ?

um?

Lot's of folks on here seem to have played with Kundalini Shtuff

and all sorts of chakra things and meditations and all

but kinda surprised not much mention of folks "Seeing"

energy/qi ?

Thought that was pretty normal with meditation stuff?

So?

Do you "see" ?

Are there times that you see energy easier/clearer

with yourself? with others?

I know "smelling" might not be as common ?

and"tasting" and "hearing" is a stretch for some but ?

Still wondering !

:D

Edited by shontonga

So ... ?

um?

Lot's of folks on here seem to have played with Kundalini Shtuff

and all sorts of chakra things and meditations and all

but kinda surprised not much mention of folks "Seeing"

energy/qi ?

Thought that was pretty normal with meditation stuff?

So?

Do you "see" ?

Are there times that you see energy easier/clearer

with yourself? with others?

I know "smelling" might not be as common ?

and"tasting" and "hearing" is a stretch for some but ?

Still wondering !

:D

Well, smelling and tasting qi is actually very common if you have some training in TCM. I can tell which meridians a food item's qi is going into from its taste, e.g.. I can also tell whether it's cool, warm, or hot, damp or dry... most people can, at least with some things (others are not obvious without having been pointed out first and assessed with proper awareness), but they don't think of it as qi -- however what else is it that "cools" your mouth when you munch on an Altoid, or brush your teeth? The temperature of the Altoid or your mint toothpaste is the same as that of a donut kept at room temperature -- it's the qi of mint that is cool, and that's what you feel.

As for seeing -- I see it. Learned how to many years ago, didn't know the word "qi" then, knew the word "orgone," from a foray into Wilhelm Reich's work. There were instructions in one of the books as to how to look at stuff to notice it. "Orgone" is not something new that he discovered, IMO, it's Reich's take on jing and qi, methinks. If only he ever got any taoist exposure, I think he'd know right away. He even discerned the shape of primordial qi (it does shape things rich in it a certain way -- that's another way you can see it), and had a couple of illustrations that looked like halves of the taiji symbol... though he didn't know any qi or taiji or anything like that, far as I know.

There's different ways to "see." Palm readers, face readers, tongue diagnosticians, form/compass feng shui masters, etc., are all looking at qi, or rather its "signatures" ("the shape of the mountains reveals the shape of the wind..."). You don't necessarily look at "auras" and "colors" and "lights" and "fogs" when you're "seeing" qi -- these special effects are not qi, they are one possible (not mandatory) side effect of its various manifestations.

Guest sykkelpump

I feel chi all the time with exeption when i am cold.In the beginning I felt it like a warm tingling feeling.after that i have felt magnetism,like cold fresh water running innside me.and i have felt it like heavyness pressure and pain and most of all like a sexual feeling.the last seems to be more and more as the channels open.I have also felt chi as electrical feeling after doing condensing breathing in the spine.And it was powerful electrical feeling,so I belive If somebody is good at condensing breathing the can generate empty force.unfortunally I lost this skill a little:cant understand why,but it has to be something about the right meridians is not open enougf at this moment

Guest sykkelpump

SABRETOOTH.

because conentration on dantien put pressure on the orbit,and the pressure builds up where you have a block

Hi Steve!

LOL,It sounds like my theories on pain!

In truth

I'd have to say that sounds right to me

but i still am at the point of Wanting to control it!

I know it's an illusion.

but i still want to

Do you have a "name" other than "Qi" for that?

That stuff that is underlies, connects all and fills in the spaces ?

For what you describe ?

All's qi to me!

but there is so many kinds/states/textures

what(other than "Qi") would you call this one?

Thanks!

Have fun!

I'm not looking for other names, it just is.

For me, qi is more the process of interaction or experience between whatever it is that we call awareness/perception and whatever it is we call universe. In fact, I know there to be no real separation between the two but there is an apparent separation, an illusion of separation. Perhaps the existence or experience of this separation could be labeled qi? It's all a vain and futile attempt to use thought to capture reality through comparison and labeling.

I don't know really but to me qi is much more process than substance...

The feeling of qi is dependent on where you start. Most people start from focusing on somewhere in their bodies for it is the easiest.

In fact, you can start from some place outside your body , say , the "emptiness " just before your eyes . Of course, starting from outside , instead of inside, gives you different feelings of qi . It also helps you evading some potential dangers.

Starting from nowhere is a talented way , or a genius way.

Edited by exorcist_1699

In China , it is said to have four different schools in Taoist practice: West, East , South and North.

The South school is famous for its insistence on "Dual cultivation";

The North insists on "single cultivation" ( The famous Dragon Gate belongs to the North, the biggest )

The West school's significance is its starting point : space outside our body .

Of course , where you start will give you different feelings.

Edited by exorcist_1699

What Stigweard said :

" It is my current understanding that every philosophical statement referencing Tao is also referencing the nature of Qi as, in my view, Qi is Tao and Tao is Qi. Tao is a simple, natural, practical path wherein all instruction guides the practitioner to live in accordance to the subtle nature of Qi."

is correct ; through qi , Tao embodies itself in this world . The problems is , this embodiment in our world takes complicated forms : for example , qi in a human body ,a plant or an amoeba definitely has different variations. A jellyfish lives in deep sea will "feel" qi running in its body different from us .

Will there be a "biology " of qi ?

And, qi appears differently in different sex ; a healthy body's qi will also be different from a sick body's .

In terms of cultivation: where you start, how you start , through which school ( Buddhist or Taoist) you start does give you different feelings. If you adopt visualization as a means , then of course, your imagination gives you feelings totally different from others .

However, fortunately it seems , the higher a level people reach, the similar feelings they get .

Edited by exorcist_1699