Jedi777

A great story by Grandmaster Wong

http://wongkk.com/answers/ans08a/apr08-3.html

Question 3

I have read your wonderful books such as "The Art of Chi Kung", "The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan", "The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu", "The Complete Book of Zen" and "Sukhavati". Since you know a lot about Taoism and Buddhism, have you ever considered writing a book about Taoism in as much depth as "The Complete Book of Zen" or "Sukhavati"?

Ahmed, UK

Answer 3

Yes, I would love to write a book on Taoism in some depth.

I find this interesting. My teacher, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, was a great Zen master as well as great Taoist master. In the Chinese society where I learned the Shaolin arts from him, he was better known as a Taoist master. But in the Western society, probably because of his Shaolin mastery, he was better known as a Zen master.

Many people regularly consulted my Sifu for spiritual advice. His Taoist magic, which he always used for good, was very, very powerful -- more powerful than what many people would believe. One day there was a Taoist celebration. My siheng, Ah Seng, who was learning Taoism from my Sifu, gave a demonstration of Taoist magic. He chopped his own leg with a sharp, heavy sword.

Normally the sword would bounce away as my Siheng would be protected by Taoist gods. But that day the gods did not come to protect him, and he did not know. This was because the previous night Ah Seng went out with his girlfriend who happened to be in the midst of her menstruation. Menstruated blood is considered "dirty" by Taoist gods, and Ah Seng was contaminated.

So the heavy sword cut right to his bone. Blood splashed out all over the place. Even if he were taken to hospital, he would bleed to death before arrival.

My Sifu quickly but calmly got a piece of paper nearby. With his sword finger (formed by holding the thumb, fourth and small fingers together, leaving the index and middle fingers straight) he drew some magical formula on the paper while he canted some Taoist mantra. He placed the paper on Ah Seng's huge wound. The bleeding stopped immediately. The next day there was not even a scar on Ah Seng's leg! In the range of my Sifu's Taoist powers, this was only middle-level.

It was in his later life that my Sifu devoted time to Zen instead of Tao. I did not have the chance to ask my Sifu for his reason, but Ah Seng suggested why. I still remember Ah Seng telling me that Taoism leads to immortality (which is still in the phenomenal realm) whereas Zen leads to the great Void (which is transcendental

It was in his later life that my Sifu devoted time to Zen instead of Tao. I did not have the chance to ask my Sifu for his reason, but Ah Seng suggested why. I still remember Ah Seng telling me that Taoism leads to immortality (which is still in the phenomenal realm) whereas Zen leads to the great Void (which is transcendental
Yea, I've been wondering about these 2 different endgames and how they relate, or not?

Yea, I've been wondering about these 2 different endgames and how they relate, or not?

So tell me. Which one is easier to be reached???

I assume we will have many contradicting answers... I have a believe:

I believe certain stages of immortality can be reached much more quickly during a typical human life...

from there one can then continue towards the Void. But reaching the Void in one lifetime with a typical life

and not the chance to just sit and practice... what will you have gained at the moment of physical death?

no answers, just thoughts on the topic and personal ideas

:)

Harry

very good topic and i love the work of master wong for a long time. his qi gong book "art of chi kung" is think it is called in english is very beautiful and full of enthuisasm.

maybe it is good for anyone to start out with practices that make your life happier and longer. this can never be wrong i guess. i myselve was in zen monastaries for a while but today i would say that it was not the time back then. starting out with zen is a pretty tough way and it can lead for some people to frustration.

there is a nice saying i am sure some of you know:

to understand martial arts practice tai chi

to understand tai chi practice qi gong

to understand qi gong practice meditation.

i never deeply understood if the taoist concept of immortality and the zen concept of enlightenment are somehow connected. i dont know if the immortal realms where just a methapher of enlightenment.

one enlightened teacher i met didnt talk at all about immortality. when i asked him about it he would say that when it is time to go you go. leave space for the next one to come and have experiences here. dont block the space.

so in the end i really dont know much again ...

love jan.

So tell me. Which one is easier to be reached???

I assume we will have many contradicting answers... I have a believe:

I believe certain stages of immortality can be reached much more quickly during a typical human life...

from there one can then continue towards the Void. But reaching the Void in one lifetime with a typical life

and not the chance to just sit and practice... what will you have gained at the moment of physical death?

no answers, just thoughts on the topic and personal ideas

:)

Harry

I would also speculate that immortality would be easier to reach first...after which you could then go for enlightenment. Sort of like a 2-stage rocket.

Although some of these (or similar) processes may also take place naturally during death anyways, who knows? Or not. :D