Aetherous

Horse riding stance for rooting

This is a great video of Sifu Wong Kiew Kit demonstrating horse riding stance. Really helped me understand the posture more!

I started learning about this concept of rooting, first from Vajrasattva in another thread. Then I recalled that it is actually in a few of my qigong books already (Root of Chinese Qigong by Jwing Ming, as well as the guy in the video's Shaolin Kung Fu book), so last night I went back and did some studying...I think this video best demonstrates how to do it. And after having practiced it a couple of times today, I think it's a great technique!

Enjoy! B)

Good stuff. I have been doing 5 element standing Max taught us every morning. If I remember correctly at a past workshop he said you can do them in horse stance also. Though I do them the regular way.

I might start to play with doing them in horse sometimes.

i used to hang out on the wahnam boards a year or so ago. the disciples where always very adamant about how qigong can never be learned from a video or book, and that stance training was too dangerous to try to learn without a real live teacher. they said that if ever they would do a video it would only be for students who had already trained in-person and received direct transmission from sifu wong.

i thought their position on the matter was ridiculous.

apparently some ideas on the matter have changed if they're putting videos publicly on youtube.

good for them.

You can root any stance. Horse points the way by sitting in the saddle. Ride it.

Yee haw! Giddyup!

So yeah, I also don't see why you can't learn stances from a video or book. Maybe just because the teacher can't give you on the spot corrections, like if you're leaning too far forward or something...but that is just corrected by consistent practice, so :) .

As an aside, shaolin wahnam qigong reminds me A LOT of the k-word.

Yee haw! Giddyup!

So yeah, I also don't see why you can't learn stances from a video or book. Maybe just because the teacher can't give you on the spot corrections, like if you're leaning too far forward or something...but that is just corrected by consistent practice, so :) .

As an aside, shaolin wahnam qigong reminds me A LOT of the k-word.

just curious, what about wahnam reminds you of you know what?

Edited by Swami Jai

Well they say that the chi is cosmic, which is similar to the ultraviolet 3 in deep space idea. They do "induced chi flow" which is a lot like kunlun level 1...not in the form but in the fact that the chi flow is moving the body and does the same thing to people. Other things I can't recall right now...

This is a great video of Sifu Wong Kiew Kit demonstrating horse riding stance. Really helped me understand the posture more!

I started learning about this concept of rooting, first from Vajrasattva in another thread. Then I recalled that it is actually in a few of my qigong books already (Root of Chinese Qigong by Jwing Ming, as well as the guy in the video's Shaolin Kung Fu book), so last night I went back and did some studying...I think this video best demonstrates how to do it. And after having practiced it a couple of times today, I think it's a great technique!

Enjoy! B)

He is on the money and 100% correct. We call this KUDA KUDA in silat. And its crucial for martial arts and internal power training. And in KAP we use it for or advanced breathing techniques. Its also in yoga as mountain pose. and truth s the PYRAMID is very important aspect it correlates with the 3rd eye & the Triangle of the 3rd chakra & the widening of the BASE chakra.

Peace & root : )

Peace

Santiago

Edited by Vajrasattva

Sifu Wong Keiw Kit is not in the same category as Max and Kunlun

Sifu kit is a VERY high Level Master. No disrespect to Max and Kunlun.

I practice several things I have learned from his books and I have been doing induced chi flow for many years.

It is the same as Kunlun and it is chi that moves the body and cleanses the channels.

I practice them both and love them both.

Peace

What is hard to show in books and videos is what internal rooting dynamics "feel" like to send and receive, there is a certain cross tension application of ratcheting smoothly the universal joint like mechanics of the hips/pelvis relationship to the central columb.

For instance from archer stance let the front leg pull you forward instead of pushing from the rear. Then pull forward and push same time, dan tien rotates. viola, ycf's single whip makes sense from the core outwards.

The consonants and vowels of movement language result from finding the edges entrance or doorway aka a "opening" and turning the inside outwards. How is a seam found or opening created? The matador waves the curtain.

Edited by Spectrum

The basic circles and 8's really are effortlness and it's so awesome to hear other people talking about them. They are easy for anyone to explore young or old. There are so many applications for something so simple. All the "moves" in martial art forms occur from these core rotations believe it or not.

You can widen / deepen stances systematically by pivoting on heel, toe out 45deg, each time aligning feet parallel, knees not beyond toes, and kua opens proportionally to the stance. You can systematically "stretch" into deeper stances by simply "expanding" existing footwork periodically after you are warmed up. As always force nothing. As the stance widens the other "body bows" coorespond. Internal arts are amazing because of the "depth" the practice can take. This level of training goes along with the tendon changing stuff, as movements become more elongated the frame is supported differently. wiff of mugwort.