mentalground0

buddhist forums

i have a friend who's really getting into buddhism now and would like to find some like-minded souls. i was telling her about this forum and how entertaining, fun and educational it is - she'd love something just like this place, but specifically for buddhists. anyone know a good forum for her to check out?

I use to lurk on here for a while: http://www.buddhachat.org

I like Buddhism but a lot of the precepts are too hard for me! Also I don't agree with all of them, especially vegetarianism. I went without meat for a week and besides always being hungry (and eating every 2 hours), I don't think humans are suppose to vegetarian. We have teeth for eating both plants and animals so it would make sense that we eat both. Also the only way people can get vitamin b12 is through an animal source!!!! I don't like the thought of creating a market for the killing of animals but I do have to eat.

Edited by EagerMind

I use to lurk on here for a while: http://www.buddhachat.org

I like Buddhism but a lot of the precepts are too hard for me! Also I don't agree with all of them, especially vegetarianism. I went without meat for a week and besides always being hungry (and eating every 2 hours), I don't think humans are suppose to vegetarian. We have teeth for eating both plants and animals so it would make sense that we eat both. Also the only way people can get vitamin b12 is through an animal source!!!! I don't like the thought of creating a market for the killing of animals but I do have to eat.

I became a vegetarian an year ago or so. I think the human body was created to adapt basically. You can definitely eat plants and animals, but you are not forced to do so. I think the only justification for eating an animal (even a human being, we can digest that perfectly too and i don't see anybody saying is natural) is for your own survival, and even in that situation, you still have a choice. The real problem though, is that we are killing billions of animals just for our own appetite's sake, just to add bacon to our burger. The craving for pleasure is that huge, and the killing of animals is just a tiny part.

I don't agree with veganism as a lifestyle, although i find it very noble, it's just some sort of protest or activism against cruelty but nothing else. I don't see anything wrong in milking a cow humanely for example, some animals, like dogs, are so used to be with humans that they won't survive in the wild. Also, the whole B12 stuff is kinda ridiculous, everybody is trying to tell you how unhealthy it is to go vegan, but they don't have a problem eating in McDonalds and die of a heart attack at age 45...please.

Even if it's based mostly on veganism, i suggest you watch Earthlings, it's a fine documentary with lots of insights of the whole industry (not only meat).

I became a vegetarian an year ago or so. I think the human body was created to adapt basically. You can definitely eat plants and animals, but you are not forced to do so. I think the only justification for eating an animal (even a human being, we can digest that perfectly too and i don't see anybody saying is natural) is for your own survival, and even in that situation, you still have a choice. The real problem though, is that we are killing billions of animals just for our own appetite's sake, just to add bacon to our burger. The craving for pleasure is that huge, and the killing of animals is just a tiny part.

I don't agree with veganism as a lifestyle, although i find it very noble, it's just some sort of protest or activism against cruelty but nothing else. I don't see anything wrong in milking a cow humanely for example, some animals, like dogs, are so used to be with humans that they won't survive in the wild. Also, the whole B12 stuff is kinda ridiculous, everybody is trying to tell you how unhealthy it is to go vegan, but they don't have a problem eating in McDonalds and die of a heart attack at age 45...please.

Even if it's based mostly on veganism, i suggest you watch Earthlings, it's a fine documentary with lots of insights of the whole industry (not only meat).

The people that eat at Macdonald's everyday don't care about vegetarianism or their health. I on the other hand do greatly care about my health that's why I try to eat a balanced diet and for me that includes animal protein sources. I actually read a couple of books on vegetarianism before I tried it out so I'd be aware of the risk factors/benefits. It obviously can be very healthy if you eat sensibly, one good thing about being vegetarian is not eating as much fat or cholesterol which is very healthy for your heart but even if you are vegetarian you can still eat bad stuff (chocolate, butter, ice cream, french fries, etc...). You also have to be careful so you get the vitamins you need, some of the vitamins lacking in vegetarian diets are calcium, iron, b12. Most people get calcium from milk but if you're vegan or don't drink milk then you have to find it elsewhere. Iron is another problem because most people get their iron from meat but you can also get it from beans and oatmeal (I was looking for alternative sources of vitamins that I could eat). Now to one of the big reasons I'm not vegetarian, it because of b12. One of my doctor friends told me that the only way you can get vitamin b12 is from an animal source! Let me know what you think about this one, if I can find alternatives for b12 that would make a big different for me!

Overall I think most things are good for you in moderation!

The only reason I wanted to be vegetarian (beside getting into buddhism) is because I really started thinking a lot about everything I was eating and i don't want to kill little fuzzy creatures! It's still a problem for me because I don't want to be unhealthy by not getting the vitamins and protein I need. I think I eat pretty healthy I eat lots of vegtables, beans, rice (a lot of rice, I'm kinda chubby because of it), some fruit (I try not to eat to much because of the sugar), and for protein I eat Chicken, Salmon, and Tofu. Another reason it was hard for me to be vegetarian is because of one of my vices which is sushi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I try to limit the amount of meat I eat so I don't eat that much but maybe someday I will be able to be vegetarian. It's not an easy change when you've grown up all your life eating meat!

Thanks for the suggestion on "Earthlings", I'll definitely check it out!

**Edit**

Oh ya I forgot to add, another reason it's hard for me to be vegetarian is because I'm allergic to wheat. I already have a restrictive diet by not being able to eat any bread, pastas, a lot of bakery like cakes and cookies which isn't to bad but it does limit a lot of what I can eat. It doesn't bother me though, I'm already use to it. I actually think this helped me to become healthier.

Edited by EagerMind

The people that eat at Macdonald's everyday don't care about vegetarianism or their health. I on the other hand do greatly care about my health that's why I try to eat a balanced diet and for me that includes animal protein sources. I actually read a couple of books on vegetarianism before I tried it out so I'd be aware of the risk factors/benefits. It obviously can be very healthy if you eat sensibly, one good thing about being vegetarian is not eating as much fat or cholesterol which is very healthy for your heart but even if you are vegetarian you can still eat bad stuff (chocolate, butter, ice cream, french fries, etc...). You also have to be careful so you get the vitamins you need, some of the vitamins lacking in vegetarian diets are calcium, iron, b12. Most people get calcium from milk but if you're vegan or don't drink milk then you have to find it elsewhere. Iron is another problem because most people get their iron from meat but you can also get it from beans and oatmeal (I was looking for alternative sources of vitamins that I could eat). Now to one of the big reasons I'm not vegetarian, it because of b12. One of my doctor friends told me that the only way you can get vitamin b12 is from an animal source! Let me know what you think about this one, if I can find alternatives for b12 that would make a big different for me!

Overall I think most things are good for you in moderation!

The only reason I wanted to be vegetarian (beside getting into buddhism) is because I really started thinking a lot about everything I was eating and i don't want to kill little fuzzy creatures! It's still a problem for me because I don't want to be unhealthy by not getting the vitamins and protein I need. I think I eat pretty healthy I eat lots of vegtables, beans, rice (a lot of rice, I'm kinda chubby because of it), some fruit (I try not to eat to much because of the sugar), and for protein I eat Chicken, Salmon, and Tofu. Another reason it was hard for me to be vegetarian is because of one of my vices which is sushi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I try to limit the amount of meat I eat so I don't eat that much but maybe someday I will be able to be vegetarian. It's not an easy change when you've grown up all your life eating meat!

Thanks for the suggestion on "Earthlings", I'll definitely check it out!

**Edit**

Oh ya I forgot to add, another reason it's hard for me to be vegetarian is because I'm allergic to wheat. I already have a restrictive diet by not being able to eat any bread, pastas, a lot of bakery like cakes and cookies which isn't to bad but it does limit a lot of what I can eat. It doesn't bother me though, I'm already use to it. I actually think this helped me to become healthier.

Actually, only vegans have a problem with B12, your doctor is right about the animal source part, but he doesn't take into consideration milk (cheese, butter too) and eggs, that's why vegetarianism is not a problem for your health if you eat right (even without wheat, which i reckon it will be harder for you...).

Look, i'm not an elitist about it, and i actually think a pescetarism diet (vegetarianism plus sea food) it's the most perfect diet to go in these days (as it all revolves around meat, we are not yet prepared as a race to go full veggie). Fishes at least live in the wild, they seem different somehow (i know they really aren't, well they are not mammals at least), and it's the only meat i would eat as a last resort. I don't see any justification in killing pigs, cows, chickens, ducks, and a large etc, just human appetite. Meat eaters don't have a point to defend at all, unless they want to defend cruelty.

Of course, if you become a pescetarian, veggies and vegans will mock you just a meat eaters will do, it's stupid of course, you are only making an effort and actually care.

Actually, only vegans have a problem with B12, your doctor is right about the animal source part, but he doesn't take into consideration milk (cheese, butter too) and eggs, that's why vegetarianism is not a problem for your health if you eat right (even without wheat, which i reckon it will be harder for you...).

Look, i'm not an elitist about it, and i actually think a pescetarism diet (vegetarianism plus sea food) it's the most perfect diet to go in these days (as it all revolves around meat, we are not yet prepared as a race to go full veggie). Fishes at least live in the wild, they seem different somehow (i know they really aren't, well they are not mammals at least), and it's the only meat i would eat as a last resort. I don't see any justification in killing pigs, cows, chickens, ducks, and a large etc, just human appetite. Meat eaters don't have a point to defend at all, unless they want to defend cruelty.

Of course, if you become a pescetarian, veggies and vegans will mock you just a meat eaters will do, it's stupid of course, you are only making an effort and actually care.

Buddhists are not necessarily vegetarian, for instance only ordained Tibetan Buddhist monks are - eveyone else eats meat.

thanks everyone for the links. i sent a link to this forum to my friend and she's loving the carnivore/herbivore discussion - she's a vegan, so hopefully she'll sign up here and add her two cents.

for me, i don't feel well physically or mentally if i don't get a little protein in every day - and not some crazy Super-size portion, but a little palmful. and that included nuts and seeds

I try to stick to eating animals smaller than myself :D Although, that hamburger I had a few days ago was fantastic, because it had been so long since I had one, hehehe. I can understand the spiritual reasons for vegetarianism, but veganism has always seemd pretty extreme and whacked to me.

I try to stick to eating animals smaller than myself :D Although, that hamburger I had a few days ago was fantastic, because it had been so long since I had one, hehehe. I can understand the spiritual reasons for vegetarianism, but veganism has always seemd pretty extreme and whacked to me.

My motto is, you should kill your own food. I don't have any problem milking a cow, growing vegetables and yes, kill them, but i do have a problem killing a pig, or a lamb, i won't do that, as i think it's not necessary. Having other people killing them for me makes me a hypocrite.

Also, to quote the great George Bernard Shaw : "Animals are my friends, and i don't eat my friends".

Also, to quote the great George Bernard Shaw : "Animals are my friends, and i don't eat my friends".

I love that, it's hilarious!!!

One of my friends actually does that pescetarism diet and I actually would probably be able to pull that kind of diet off easily (did I mention I love sea food :wub: ) but I don't think fish are different. I'm kind of like an all or nothing guy and it would still make me feel bad if I was eating fish, I'm still killing animals. So I just stick with eating all animals instead of one specific group, fish have feelings too :P . I usually eat sushi about 3 or 4 times a week and I love, I could probably make that my only protein source of the day and kinda be vegetarian but I would still feel bad about killing the fish. Another reason that I don't just eat sea food is because I'm kind of scared about getting mercury poisoning, I think I'm already pushing it by eating fish so much. That's also why I eat Salmon and very rarely eat Tuna (maybe once a month) because it's a much bigger fish so would tend to have more mercury.

Thanks for the encouragement I'm thinking about being semi vegetarian again (pescetarism diet).

Another big reason I like vegetarianism is because it's also good for the enviroment, it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat.

Edited by EagerMind

My motto is, you should kill your own food. I don't have any problem milking a cow, growing vegetables and yes, kill them, but i do have a problem killing a pig, or a lamb, i won't do that, as i think it's not necessary. Having other people killing them for me makes me a hypocrite.

A good approach, but in this day and age, being immersed in the world we are, its just not practical to hunt for any substantial percentage of your food. My general guideline of eating smaller animals is mainly for digestive purposes - to me, the meat is just easier to digest. Large animals just do not digest as easily in my experience.

I try to mainly eat fowl & fish.

I dont buy into the mercury scare, either...seafood rocks :)

Vegetarianism is one of the most annoying things to people, it directly implies mercifulness and better ethics. They know what they do is wrong. They will try to justify the killing because they LOVE to eat meat, nothing else. If meat weren't so tasty but more "healthy" as vegetables and fruits are, the world will have the same problem but reversed. This is not about health.

Even if vegetarianism is not healthier than a pescetarian diet for example (i have to admit that a pescetarian diet sounds healthier, as fish meat have so many proteins and vitamins) we, the vegetarians, are aware of it, and we'll die younger for that cause, just as any obese person with clogged arteries will do for its own cause, hedonism.

http://www.stlouistrainingcircle.com/vg/th....vegetarian.htm

From "The Holy Science" by Sri Yukteswar

What is natural food for man? First, to select our natural food, our observation should be directed to the formation of the organs that aid in digestion and nutrition, the teeth and digestive canal; to the natural tendency of the organs of sense which guide animals to their food; and to the nourishment of the young.

Observation of teeth. By observation of the teeth we find that in carnivourous animals the incisors are little developed, but the canines are of striking length, smooth and pointed, to seize the prey. The molars also are pointed; these points, however, do not meet, but fit closely side by side to separate the muscular fibers.

In the herbivorous animals the incisors are strikingly developed, the canines are stunted (though occasionally developed into weapons, as in elephants), the molars are broad-topped and furnished with enamel on the sides only.

In the frugivorous all the teeth are of nearly the same height; the canines are little projected, conical, and blunt (obviously not inteded for seizing prey but for exertion of strenth), The molars are broad-topped and furnished at the top with enamel folds to prevent waste caused by their side motion, but not pointed for chewing flesh.

In Omnivorous animals such as bears, on the other hand, the incisors resemble those of the herbivorous, the canines are like those of the carnivorous, and the molars are both pointed and broad-topped to serve a twofold purpose.

Now if we observe the formation of the teeth in man we find that they do not resemble those of the carnivores, neither do they resemble the teeth of the herbivorous or th eomnivorous. They do resemble, eactly, those of the frugivorous animals. The reasonable inference, therefore, is that man is a frugivorous or fruit-eating animal.

Observation of the digestive canal. By observation of the digestive canal we find that the bowels of carnivorous animals are 3 to 5 times the length of their body, measuring from the mouth to the anus; and their stomach is almost spherical. The bowels of the herbivores are 20 to 28 times the length of their body and their stomach is more extended and of compound build. But the bowels of the frugivorous animals are 10 to 12 times the length of their body; their stomach is somewhat broader than that of the carnivorous and has a continuation in the duodenum serving the purpose of a second stomach.

This is exactly the formation we find in human beings, though anatomy says that the human bowels are 3 to 5 times the length of man's body - making a mistake by measuring the body from the crown to the soles, instead of from mouth to anus. Thus we can again draw the inference that man is, in all probability, a frugivorous animal.

Observation of organs of sense. By observation of the natural tendency of the organs of sense - the guideposts for determining what is nutritious - by which all animals are directed to their food, we find that when the carnivorous animal finds prey, he becomes so much delighted that his eyes begin to sparkle; he boldly seizes the prey and greedily laps the jetting blood. On the contrary, the herbivorous animal refuses even his natural food, leaving it untouched, if it is sprinkled with a little blood. His senses of smell and sight lead him to select grasses and other herbs for his food, which he tastes with delight. Similarly with the frugivorous animals, we find that their senses always direct them to fruits of the trees and field.

In men of all races we find that their senses of smell, sound, and sight never lead them to slaughter animals; on the contrary they cannot bear even the sight of such killings. Slaughterhouses are always recommended to be removed far from the towns; men often pass strict ordinances forbidding the uncovered transportation of flesh meats. Can flesh then be considered the natural food of man, when both his eyes and his nose are so much against it, unless deceived by flavors of spices, salt, and sugar? On the other hand, how delightful do we find the fragrance of fruits, the very sight of which often makes the mouth water! It may also be noticed that various grains and roots possess an agreeable odor and taste, though faint, even when unprepared. Thus again, we are led to infer from these observations that man was intended to be a frugivorous animal.

Observation of the nourishment of the young. By observation of the nourishment of the young we find that milk is undoubtedly the food of the newborn babe. Abundant milk is not supplied in the breasts of the mother if she does not take fruits, grains, and vegetables as her natural food.

Cause of disease. Hence from these observations the only conclusion that can reasonably be drawn is that various grains, fruits, roots, and - for beverage - milk, and pure water openly exposed to air and sun are decidedly the best natural food for man. These, being congenial to the system when taken according to the power of the digestive organs, well chewed and mixed with saliva, are always easily assimilated.

Other foods are unnatural to man and being uncongenial to the system are necessarily foreign to it; when they enter the stomach, they are not properly assimilated. Mixed with the blood, they accumulate in the excretory and other organs not properly adapted to them. When they cannot find their way out, they subside in tissue crevices by the law of gravitation; and being fermented, produce diseases, mental and physical, and ultimately lead to premature death.

site map

Edited by Jedi777

Earthlings is a great documentary. Check the links I posted for a better understanding of the issue. The Weston Price Foundation is against factory farming, as should we all. If you get the chance read "Cows,Pigs,Wars and Witches" by Marvin Harris.http://www.amazon.com/Cows-Pigs-Wars-Witch...s/dp/0679724680 In ancient India, before cows became more valuable as tractors, eating meat was considered healthy and sacred. Read the 6th chapter ( verse 11-12) of the Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna was an archer and a hunter. Where do you think he got his deerskin cushion to meditate upon? http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/categories/Cha...-Bhagavad-Gita/ I believe your hearts in the right place, but lets say one of these days you decide to go and rescue some dog or cats from the local shelter. You're in for one of the best experiences we as people can have. However sooner or later you're going to have to realize where the food to feed your companion carnivores is going to come from. Also, this link about Shaolin gives a historical perspective.http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/print.php?article=521 And for detailed comparison http://paleodiet.com/comparison.html--------http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html-----------http://paleodiet.com/ :)

Edited by Lighttime

Earthlings is a great documentary. Check the links I posted for a better understanding of the issue. The Weston Price Foundation is against factory farming, as should we all. If you get the chance read "Cows,Pigs,Wars and Witches" by Marvin Harris.http://www.amazon.com/Cows-Pigs-Wars-Witch...s/dp/0679724680 In ancient India, before cows became more valuable as tractors, eating meat was considered healthy and sacred. Read the 6th chapter ( verse 11-12) of the Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna was an archer and a hunter. Where do you think he got his deerskin cushion to meditate upon? http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/categories/Cha...-Bhagavad-Gita/

I understand the Weston Price's link ideals, but there's no reason for a human being to eat a pig or a cow, period, just their appetite. They are raised and killed because of their taste only, nothing else.

Fish as food...well that's a little hard for me to debate as i mentioned. The difference with mammals, as fishes are different to vegetables, is not only that they are sentient beings. Mammals and other animals, have much more interaction with humans than fishes do (they live under water after all). These are differences that we have to keep in mind (i don't eat fish though, and i used to go fishing a lot when i was young).

I also agree that the whole Peta organization and hundreds of vegetarians, and vegans, are a little extreme in their views, and quite fanatical (they still have a point in most of their cases). You also have to understand that they are mocked everyday by ignorant people who couldn't care less about anything, not only animals.

Vegetarianism is one of the most annoying things to people, it directly implies mercifulness and better ethics.

It's not vegeterianism that's annoying, it's vegeterians.

Even if vegetarianism is not healthier than a pescetarian diet for example (i have to admit that a pescetarian diet sounds healthier, as fish meat have so many proteins and vitamins) we, the vegetarians, are aware of it, and we'll die younger for that cause, just as any obese person with clogged arteries will do for its own cause, hedonism.

I doubt most vegeterians are really aware.

Fish as food...well that's a little hard for me to debate as i mentioned. The difference with mammals, as fishes are different to vegetables, is not only that they are sentient beings. Mammals and other animals, have much more interaction with humans than fishes do (they live under water after all). These are differences that we have to keep in mind (i don't eat fish though, and i used to go fishing a lot when i was young).

It's kind of hypocritical if someone doesn't eat meat supposedly out of compassion but then eats fish.

Tibetans consider fish and the like as impure food of sorts. And you know why? Because if you kill one cow you can feed many people, but you have to kill many fish to feed few people.

It's not vegeterianism that's annoying, it's vegeterians.

I doubt most vegeterians are really aware.

It's kind of hypocritical if someone doesn't eat meat supposedly out of compassion but then eats fish.

Tibetans consider fish and the like as impure food of sorts. And you know why? Because if you kill one cow you can feed many people, but you have to kill many fish to feed few people.

That's very interesting indeed!

Well i don't eat fish, i'm just saying that i find it BETTER than nothing (and actually a perfect diet). I agree with you about the vegetarians, they are annoying to me and i'm one of them! hahaha. Vegans are worse of course.

I've been a vegetarian for many years. There is no need to belabor the philosophy, for it is well understood by all conscious beings. Who among us will change our lifestyle based on an internet discussion? :)

But for those who are unsure about the feelings of fish:

I have been surrounded by fish friends for more years than I've been a vegetarian. I enjoyed eating them with relish, until I began to notice thier behavior. Many fishes, especially those of the schooling varieties, exhibit complex social behaviors when among their own kind. They also exhibit many of the same sorts of behaviors we'd expect from terrestrial animals of similar type. For example, carnivorous fish are typically loners, who eat infrequently, and are aggressive even towards thier own mates. Herbivores and insectivores are often schoolers. They enjoy, even require the company of thier own kind. Many will die if isolated for too long. Most will clearly not lead normal lives under such conditions.

As is true of all sentient beings, fish are subject to pain and suffering, happiness and pleasure, just as you are. For those species and individuals who are capable, they also clearly exhibit the behavior of love. I have a pair of fish right now who are mated for life.

Please consider looking into these observations further if you are a person who wishes to practice Ahimsa in your dietary practices.

Gassho.

Edited by nightwatchdog

Who among us will change our lifestyle based on an internet discussion? :)

You never know what kind of an effect this discussion will have on people, words have a very profound effect weather spoken, written or typed!!!

Just discussing this has encouraged me to try being (I tried complete vegetarian before) semi vegetarian again. I'm going to go for excluding all animal products except milk, butter, and fish. And the only reason I'm going to be eating fish is because it's necessary to get some animal protein, the fatty acids are extremely good for you, and vitamin b12 is essential. Right now I get most of my protein from beans and milk anyway so it's not that much of a change, I just have to cut the occasional chicken breast and stop eating eggs (which I hardly ever eat anyways). I obviously would love it if I didn't need to eat fish to get protein, and omega fatty acids but I'm not sure of any other way, I do want to be healthy while saving the fuzzy creatures.

Milk contains the B vitamins and animal protein you are concerned with, as do the eggs you are cutting out. Egg yolks are also extremly rich in EFAs. Eggs are not fertilized in the U.S., and chickens who produce free-range eggs are free of the horrors of the battery cages. Also there is a great deal of research proving that animal proteins are not necessary for human health.

Of course we are all free to do as we wish. A vegetarian diet is quite good for most people. Please consider researching your ideas further.

Gassho.

Milk contains the B vitamins and animal protein you are concerned with, as do the eggs you are cutting out. Egg yolks are also extremly rich in EFAs. Eggs are not fertilized in the U.S., and chickens who produce free-range eggs are free of the horrors of the battery cages. Also there is a great deal of research proving that animal proteins are not necessary for human health.

Of course we are all free to do as we wish. A vegetarian diet is quite good for most people. Please consider researching your ideas further.

Gassho.

Nightwatchdog, well said on your part. Milk and eggs are very nourishing. However I'm severely lactose intolerant and eggs (very high in sulphur) cause painful digestion. So I've had to make some very real decisions regarding my nutrition. Soy is not an option, the only thing left is powdered pea protein. That isn't an option either. Check the links (in full) that i'm going to post in "Honest Food Discussion". Feel free to chime in.............................On a side note, great pic for your avatar, Hsing-i (Xingyi) Drilling punch right? (looks like it.) Pretty cool,nontheless. Take care. :)