Sign in to follow this  
Dao Shi Zi Ran

New Member Greetings from Northern California

Dear Friends,

Nice to meet you all. I'm in the 3rd year of a 4 year Master's Degree of Traditional Chinese Medicine at Five Branches University in San Jose, CA. I've been a practicing Buddhist for 20 years. During that time I have practiced various Buddhist meditations and different types of Qigong. I've practiced a variety martial arts for 35 years. I don't like to talk about myself but if you have any questions, please feel free to email me. I look forward to being a part your forum.

Dear Friends,

Nice to meet you all. I'm in the 3rd year of a 4 year Master's Degree of Traditional Chinese Medicine at Five Branches University in San Jose, CA. I've been a practicing Buddhist for 20 years. During that time I have practiced various Buddhist meditations and different types of Qigong. I've practiced a variety martial arts for 35 years. I don't like to talk about myself but if you have any questions, please feel free to email me. I look forward to being a part your forum.

OooI'd Like to pick your brain, I'm sure :D

But have to think of some questions for you first!

What's yer favorite thing you've learned this year?

in school or otherwise!

Enjoy !

Shon

Hi Shon,

I'd have to say the most satisfying experience was Medical Qigong clinic in the fall. There were 4 students plus the teacher and we got to treat patients under her direction. And, we got to treat each other if there was no patient. It was cool to get feedback from the patients and sometimes actually see the physiological changes. It gave me a lot more confidence in using MQG. I've also had some good results qiving superquick treatments to friends with headaches, etc. MQG is definitely going to be a major part of my future practice.

The coursework for school is very tough. The more I learn just shows me how much I need to learn. TCM is very deep and it will take years of practice to assimilate it all.

Thanks for your question. Feel free to pick away.

Jeff :D

Hi Shon,

I'd have to say the most satisfying experience was Medical Qigong clinic in the fall. There were 4 students plus the teacher and we got to treat patients under her direction. And, we got to treat each other if there was no patient. It was cool to get feedback from the patients and sometimes actually see the physiological changes. It gave me a lot more confidence in using MQG. I've also had some good results qiving superquick treatments to friends with headaches, etc. MQG is definitely going to be a major part of my future practice.

The coursework for school is very tough. The more I learn just shows me how much I need to learn. TCM is very deep and it will take years of practice to assimilate it all.

Thanks for your question. Feel free to pick away.

Jeff :D

What a Great class size!

Perfect!

What style do they teach there?

is it Chinese 5 element stuff mostly?

or do you get to do some Japanese also ?

Can't imagine the course load!

just the physiology is daunting to me !

What qualifies it as MQG?

I am not in school as a student

but am learning painfully slowly.

which means i have some books!

Do you have a favorite acupuncture book?

in english !

Stay well, Jeff!

Shon

Thanks!

What martial arts do you enjoy ?

Edited by shontonga

Shon,

Thanks for all the questions.

The 4+1 ratio is actually for the clinic. This is were you see actual patients. The teacher interviews the patient (called the "intake") and decides on the diagnosis and course of treatment. She then tells us what to do and when to do it. This is the most basic of clinical rounds. After a certain number of clinic hours, students can progress to internship rounds were the student does everything without the teacher being present. The student consults with the teacher about diagnosis and treatment, but the teacher is not actually in the room. Rounds are a step by step progression designed to build the students skills and confidence. The actual MQG classes are more normal sized, averaging around 10 - 15 students. The certificate course (which is in an elective and is in addition to the 4 year TCM Master's Degree program) requires 4 semesters of classwork and two semesters of clinic.

The Qigong involved is Chinese. The program was designed by Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson. For more information, you can check out his private website: http://www.qigongmedicine.com/

For more info on Five Branches University, check out our website: www.fivebranches.edu

MQG is not so different from any other form of Qigong. In fact, the self cultivation exercises are very common. What makes it medical is that the intention is to heal.

As far as acupuncture books go; in California the official text for the state boards is "Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion". Another excellent text is "A Manual of Acupuncture" by Peter Deadman.

For MQG, we use Dr. Johnson's series of "Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy" books which are quite exhaustive. They include a great deal of Traditional Chinese Medicine information along with the Qigong.

As for martial arts, I am an instructor in Filipino Stickfighting (Pekiti-Tirsia Kali), and Muay Thai. I have been practicing Chen Family Taiji Quan for 20 years. I learned both Chen and some Shaolin Quan in China. I've also dabbled in many others but these are my main areas of interest.

Thank you for your interest. Take care.

Jeff

Sign in to follow this