Anette L

All the hurt in the world... what do YOU do?

Most Theravada teachers teach that sila, morality, is the foundation that must precede a sincere effort to meditate. Beyond what Smile has elaborated about "making merit," I think there are valid psychological reasons. Webu Sayadaw made this very clear to me (although oddly, Aleister Crowley first brought it to my attention!)

I've seen that by following the five precepts (and I mean making a sincere effort, not necessarily perfection--- the precepts run deep) and setting my life in order, my mind has "cooled" to the point where I can concentrate to some degree. Before, my mind was so agitated and jumpy that my efforts to meditate were largely exercises in restlessness. The more I develop morality, the more my meditatoin has improved.

I think this is one of (many) problem with Western Buddhism--- the emphasis is on meditation and not on morality. However, in other cultures, the opposite may be true--- the focus is on making merit rather than meditating, where it is meditation that leads to the insights that liberate.

While I thoroughly respect this position and agree that much of what you can achieve in any given lifetime is determined by previous karma, I have been repeatedly told that the sort of good karma you get from virtuous deeds is not nearly as important as that which you get from a sincere effort to meditate.

While I thoroughly respect this position and agree that much of what you can achieve in any given lifetime is determined by previous karma, I have been repeatedly told that the sort of good karma you get from virtuous deeds is not nearly as important as that which you get from a sincere effort to meditate.
Mark 14:7 - For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you wish you can do good to them; but you do not always have Me.

Doing good deeds is not my invention. Morality, Concentration and Insight practices - all 3 are equaly important. When I say it's impossible to progress in spiritual path without merit, I mean not just an ability to quiet my mind and be still. It's more about getting into samadhi and stages of Dhyana, leading to enlightenment. Every sage talks about the same thing- morality, practice, etc. Even Daniel Ingram starts his teachings with it. Why do you think it is that way? :)

Morality, Concentration and Insight practices - all 3 are equaly important. When I say it's impossible to progress in spiritual path without merit, I mean not just an ability to quiet my mind and be still. It's more about getting into samadhi and stages of Dhyana, leading to enlightenment. Every sage talks about the same thing- morality, practice, etc.

not every sage talks of morality in a conventional sense. many go another way. they just don't get the spotlight as much unless they can be caricatured as truly diabolical.

still, i think your perspective is very important. i'm not sure it's accurate, but i think the world benefits from our choosing to believe it is.

in this dream world where people suffer from starvation and disease, we can serve those people on two fronts:

a.) we can work to get them food and medicine.

b.) we can end the dream by waking up.

(word to ken)

Edited by Hundun

Interesting thread this...

I have been stabbed by someone wielding a knife- I broke his arm and tossed him under a parked car in a swift move that was gratifying, if a bit late... :o

I too hold no actual right and wrong for almost any given action, the intent and timing are -to me -what makes action correct or wrong. The selfish over the compassionate, if you will... is often wrong to me in most cases, but not everyone...

Internally it is what is needed for me to be my best self- which is most often addressed in deep meditation... Yet, in my interactions and my politics... many things may get too complicated to give values that are meaningful...

No it's all about flowing and dying is not flowing therefore it's to be avoided.

You can't avoid death, actually you are dying right now.

Of course you might be trying to kill me because I tried to steal your car! :D It would have been easier for us both if you just let me take your car. Unless of course you like killing people. Hey it's just a car. :unsure:

I don't have a car. :lol: But why would you want to steal it if I did have one? After all, it's just a car. :)

because I don't buy into dualism.

Of course you do.

You can't avoid death, actually you are dying right now.

I'm actually just flowing. You'll know when I'm dying because I'll be screaming for the whiskey! :P

I don't have a car. :lol: But why would you want to steal it if I did have one? After all, it's just a car. :)

Just pretend to have a car and I'll just pretend to steal it because I'm late for my funeral! :blink:

Of course you do.

No I don't. :lol:

who are we trying to fool.Anger and sadness are two faces of the same coin.When we see others suffer we are reminded of our own suffering.What judgement needs to be made?Act without thought of reward.What is best is easy to discern.Would I behave this way if all the eyes of men and the godess were upon me now.The widow who gave one talent,gave more then the rich man who gave hundred talents.

Meditation and acts of charity are the same stream.What benefit to meditate with a mean spirit or to give with a hope of reward i.e merit in heaven.

Show me a single sentient being on this planet that has not suffered.To all those I come into contact with my first action is to send out a wave of compassion from my heart and a smile from my face,a simple way to help melt some of the pain.

I can just say: wow! :)

Thank you so much everyone.

There are lot of wise words on both the practical, emotional and mental part of all this from all of you. There are, of course, so many things we can do to make this a better world. And you have contributed so many wonderful ideas, I hope we can all get inspired from each other, and strive to be the best we can ... both to ourselves and the rest of humanity.

I do believe that love vibrates on a much higher frequency than that of negativity and fear, and I agree with those of you who state the importance of being in harmony/loving oneself. You probably have to love yourself a hell of a lot, to have the courage to help those who are in the poorest of conditions... and I hope I can build up the courage to do that sometime within this lifetime.

Then again, some mentioned how good living conditions doesn`t equal happiness. That is so true, we really don`t have to travel the world to find someone to be nice to, it doesn`t need to take more than a smile to lift someone`s spirit :) Derren Brown sums it all up with "do unto others, as you have them do unto you". That`s definetly part of my life philosophy. I believe that everybody deserves the same amount of respect and compassion. Albert Einstein says it beautifully in my favorite quote:

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein

Someone also mentioned how you change the whole by changing yourself. Don`t we all know this to be true? That everything we think, feel and act on is being reflected to us. Scientist even say that we can`t trust our memories. The memories seem more positive to us when we are happy while reflecting on them. And if we`re depressed, we are going to paint all those memories in dark greys. Nothing escapes the now.

That reminds me of another quote I love:

"we thought blue prints were too sad, so we made them yellow" - from "painters" by Jewel Kilcher

These were just some of my thoughts for right now...

Anyway, thank you so much for all the answers.. again :)

I wish you, and everybody around you all a happy and blissful day ;):D

Derren Brown sums it all up with "do unto others, as you have them do unto you". That`s definetly part of my life philosophy.

You're getting me mixed up with my brother! :D

I don`t know if I`m just too sensitive, or if I haven`t learned to distance myself from everyone elses problems. (ha, well, they are in a way my problems too, if we`re all one and the same) What`s your take on this subject, how do you cope with the fact that there`s so much shit in this world? what do you do to make this world a better place?

I have ambivalent feelings on this. One part of me knows that I can only change myself, and that way make a positive impact on the world. Another part of me wants to cry with those who hurt, want to make them feel that someone understands. I have given up watching the news and reading newspapers, it`s just depressing as hell. I never feel that I do enough.. never feel I`m satisfied with the little I try to do, even if it`s all I do, all the time.

I sometimes wish I could scream out all the truths I feel I`ve found, but it just doesn`t feel right. Something in me tells me that everyone needs to walk their on path, and that they wont necessarily reconize something as a "truth" just because I do so. It`s so hard when you feel you have some keys to happiness, and people don`t listen. They are at a different place in their search for finding themselves, and for all I know they can be ahead of me.. I just know that the more I learn the less I know.

This turned out to be a post of mixed thoughts and subjects, but does anyone see where I`m going with this? :blink:

I`m sorry if this isn`t a tao subject, but please give me a tao-take on it :)

Love & light,

Anette

Very nice post Anette. I share your pain. I think it is what spurred me on to my most recent spiritual search. When the Rwandan and Yugoslavian genocides took place I went through a profound change. I had been very focused on career, family, and so forth, and suddenly I realized that I had totally foresaken my concerns about social and humanitarian responsibility that had been very important to me when I was younger (college). It was a very difficult thing to come to terms with.

Here are a few things that have helped me:

1. Daoist practices - Taijiquan and Daoist meditation

2. Reading - In particular works of Sri Ramana Maharshi, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Alan Watts, Osho, Thich Nhat Hanh

3. Understanding that the first thing I need to do is understand and help myself. Then I will be in a position where I can truly understand what others need and what I can do to help them.

4. Notwithstanding #3, I have gotten involved in an organization that assists survivors of torture living in the US. Even a small commitment of time or money can make you feel a bit better by seeing some tangible results.

I think the experience of compassion is one of the most important things a human being can achieve. It is painful yet beautiful and is truly one of the few things that gives me hope for the future. Your pain is a good thing. It means that you are capable that a similarly intense degree of love. I frequently hear people say that the world is so fucked up, they would never bring children into it. Another perspective is to understand that children provide us with an opportunity to make the world a better place, provided we guide them with our own 'right' actions.

The world will never be all good. Everything exists in balance - Taiji - yin/yang - there is one connection to Daoism. Without the bad, there would be no appreciation of the good, or should I say no 'recognition' or 'distinction' of good. Good/bad is human judgement. Not an innate quality of the universe. So many people looking for enlightenment are actually looking for a state of existence in which there is no pain or suffering. I don't believe such a thing exists in human experience. Rather an acceptance could occur that it is beyond our ability to understand or affect widespread change outside of ourselves. Nevertheless, it is in our power to heal ourselves and attempt to help others to heal.

Good luck on your journey - it sounds to me like you're pretty together to me. That doesn't mean it won't hurt...

PS - My avatar is Mandarin for compassion - kind grief or merciful sorrow... interesting to think about it that way

æ…ˆ- ci: kind, merciful, benevolent

悲 - bei: sorrow, grief

Thank you xuesheng :)

Good luck to you on your journey too!

I really like your post, and I too, value compassion over just about anything.

And I give thanks almost every day, that I have the ability to be compassionate, no matter how much pain comes with it.

It`s all good to feel and to act on it, how we feel about things tell us a lot about who we are.

I enjoyed reading your reply, I can`t say I disagree with you on any of this... :)

Tao and dao, all this is new to me, so thanks for the literature tips, I`ll check it out.

How about sending love and light?

I know it`s such a new age thing, but do you people think it ...works?

Beautiful quotes, Anette. Thank you for sharing the wisdom of Dalai Lama. It struck a string in my heart!

Einstein...*sigh* :wub:

You know, Albert hung out with Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore. I don't think it was accidental that they "hooked up."