kingfred

affect of surroundings

Would screaming kids and barking dogs affect yoga and meditation practices? and would the practice be worth doing if this was going on 24/7?

Edited by kingfred

Would screaming kids and barking dogs affect yoga and meditation practices? and would the practice be worth doing if this was going on 24/7?

always worth doing

Could you escape all the noise, or are those your kids and dogs? :D

I would be crazy if I had noise around me 24/7, but I believe you`re maximizing the problem here. The kids have to sleep at some point, and even the dogs get tired of barking. Both kids and animals usually have a calm and fantastic energy, use it to your advantage ;)

I definetly meditate in silence, as I find it improves the experience to me. But, then again, if that`s not an option for you, then I agree with I_am_sam. The more you meditate, the easier it`ll be to get "into it", no matter where you are I guess.. I`m no expert on the subject, but I feel that the best place to do stuff like this is in God`s free nature, where all that disturbs you are the pretty little birds singing. Do the best with the situation you`re in!

I hope you find peace to practise, wherever you are.

Have you tried using earplugs? I had some made custom fit for a sport I do but seem to use them more for meditation, as I'm living in a big ol' noisy city. Even the cheap foam plugs do a good job of reducing background noise. They do tend to make you more aware of your heartbeat and breathing, which I'm not sure is a good thing, but the benefits outweigh that, certainly for me.

Sorry to drag your thread a little of topic (here comes the K word!) but I've just started Kunlun and though using earplugs for the breath purifying meditation I seem reluctant to keep them in while practicing level 1. Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on that and whether it matters? Doing what feels right is I guess probably right.

love always

Sam x

Practice would definately be worth it. I would even say that your practice will enhance if you keep doing it no matter what disturbances you have in the environment. The only thing that is disturbed is the mind, but it is not the mind we use in meditation, right? It is the not-mind ;)

If you meditate in noisy surroundings you will have a kind of workout, making you stronger and your ability to meditate stronger. Your pumping meditative iron.

When you later do it in silent surroundings you will be able to go much deeper.

Meditation is not really connected to your surroundings. Its something that happens within your self. So it dosent really matter what happens outside, you can still do your inner practice or meditation.

I have sound mufflers by my practice areas. I'll use them or not depending on the decible level and my mood.

(here comes the K word!)

That's too funny! Kunlun doesn't seem to matter about the noise, but I'll still use them sometimes.

As long as I'm alone and the noise is somewhat monotone and continuous, it doesn't bother me. Sudden, loud or sharp sounds startle me sometimes, but it's actually my ear's instinctive movement towards the sound that I find the most disturbing...(BTW is it normal for human beings having ears moving like that? Maybe I'm "the missing link?" ;) )

So if you manage to get used to the background noise to some level, I think you might have a nice meditation after all.

Good luck!

Edited by Heidi1975