Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

Awwww Yogi...

Looks bitchin. The strap that holds the canoe to the top of my car shall presently incarnate to a higher calling!

-Yoda

Great stuff Trunk. I've been playing with this pose on and off ever since you mentioned it on HT a ways back.

Check out some variations by Ana, here and here.

I actually refer to Ana Forrest's asana gallery frequently for fresh ideas. She has a whole section called "Hip Openers" you might dig.

B)

All cool links.

Check out some variations by Ana, here and here.

While I think that all & any hip openers are helpful for jing cultivation, the few that combine groin-leg opening with the reclined position - in a way that you can relax into - are especially effective.

One of my TCM friends says that there are liver channels (think "circulation" and "emotions") that run up through the inside of the groin, up into the lower belly.

Many stretches for leg opening are combined with leaning forward. So, while you are opening your legs, you are closing the angle to your lower belly. Then, with most things that open the belly (like bridges), your legs stay together.

Supta Baddha Konasana does both: opens the legs and opens the lower belly. Its a very powerful combination. Adding Lin's breathing (or experimenting with adding a variety of ltt breathing), and I think we've got a real can opener.

I'm keen to hear you guys' experience with this sort of experimentation.

Trunk

Since orig post, I've been exploring more lower tan tien breathing while in various positions (some yogic, splits, some just minor position changes while standing). :)

I've found that the work in supta baddha konasana has assisted my forward bending side splits work.

..an edit, later in the day..

I find that if I keep my feet flat on the ground, while working on psuedo-splits, and alternate lower tan tien breathing with Kidney-1 breathing, that works really well to help stabalize my ltt with the level of stretch that I'm working on. Keeps more connected to earth, rather than just solely stretching.

In the morning, I'll wake myself up a little first. Shake my hands, feet. Get out of bed, use the washroom. Then I'll lie back down and listen to one of my guided meditations.

I like to put a sobakawa (bean) pillow on my stomach. It makes me more aware of breath. Likewise I'll throw a pillow under my knees, to create more relaxation on my back.

I had used an herbal eye pillow then my wife bought me a similar herbal shoulder wrap. I put that over my eyes and it frames my face. It has a nice weight to it, a pleasant mint smell and by wrapping around my face it feels like it concentrates me a bit more.

Peace

Michael

In this pose what is the strap doing? Is it providing a stretch by pulling your feet towards you? Or just holding everything in place? Why is it necessary?

I'm only little and I don't understand. :mellow:

In this pose what is the strap doing? Is it providing a stretch by pulling your feet towards you? Or just holding everything in place?

4709[/snapback]

Correct.

Its holding the feet and pelvis near eachother, with no effort on your part, such that you can just relax into it.

The pose can be done without the strap, but its not quite as effective. If there's effort to hold the feet close in.. that creates tension in the pelvis and inner thighs - the very places that you need to relax into to get the goodies of this pose.

Sign in to follow this