RedFox

Hindu Squats

Well, after hearing many of you mention it enough, and developing a desire for exercises anywhere I happen to be, I finally got curious enough and checked out for myself what a Hindu Squat was. I mean, if it's good enough for Master Yoda.. :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

It looks easy enough, until you get out of your chair and do more than a few in a row. At just 25 reps I stopped and took measure. In addition to the aerobic workout, my quads felt like they had done quite a bit more work than was obvious. I think this one's gonna stay in my program for a while to see what happens. Decided to order Furey's Combat Conditioning book as well.

join the army .. basic training will show you alot of these kinds of excercises heh heh heh....

example...

reach down and grab your ankles. now touch your ass to your heels. now raise your ass back up into the original positions. do 50 and see how it feels =p

join the army .. basic training will show you alot of these kinds of excercises heh heh heh....

Dunno man. I would but there's somebody on this list that, every so often, writes about how much fun he's not having in the army. :)

reach down and grab your ankles. now touch your ass to your heels. now raise your ass back up into the original positions. do 50 and see how it feels =p

That's pretty good. Do the heels have to stay on the ground or do they lift up like the hindu squat?

Hindu squats rock. They are great for an instant recharge throughout the day.

-Yoda

Hindu squats rock.  They are great for an instant recharge throughout the day.

-Yoda

3948[/snapback]

Hey Yoda,

The webpage I found said to 'explode up' from the squat position. How intensely do you do that? I'm trying to figure out whether that basically means "jump up" or "just don't come up slow"

Also, are the arms shooting out in front for balance, and staying basically relaxed, or do you hold them tense the whole time, and pull hard like you're really rowing a boat?

Thanks!

RedFox

Go to T-nation.com and do a search for Combat Conditionin article by Mike Mahler. You will elarn the proper form of not only the squats but also the other 2 legs of the Royal Court..Hindu pushups and the king of all excercises...The Wrestlers bridge.

Cam

T-nation has gotten pretty big. People obviously still love to "pump Iron".

Easier access go to Mikemahler.com and look under articles.

It's under Testosterone articles Combat Conditioning:5 Months without weights.

Shugyo!

I'm pretty excited about Hindu Squats.

Since reading about them here over the last year (ok, ok, so I'm a slow reader :P) I started doing them something like a month or two ago (I dunno, details are in my blog so I dont have to remember).

I started with 25 and found it pretty tough, but fairly quickly got the numbers up. I now do 50, then a short rest and another 50. Feel like I'm nearly ready to up that again, but I'm taking it slow on the increase.

I found this to be useful.

I found this to be useful.

Ah, I was wondering if somebody put an animated gif/video out there. Thanks! Its hard to say exactly for sure, but it looks to be an even pace he's keeping, not launching up.

I looked up the Mahler article, looks like the one I found above on bodybuilding.com is the same. (That's the one that used the phrase 'explode up' which I was trying to figure out)

I guess these details only matter because I'm torn at the moment between doing what Pavel describes in his exercises (tighten up all the muscles) which is what I always do when I train with weights, and where my qigong practice & barefoot running seems to be leading me, which is moving with ease and grace, and as little muscle tension as humanly possible.

but it looks to be an even pace he's keeping, not launching up. ..... which is moving with ease and grace, and as little muscle tension as humanly possible.

I do them at an even pace (well, I might accelerate as I go through the reps, but each rep is a constant speed itself), though I am by no means an expert (at this or anything :D). I'm not sure grace applies to any of my movements, but I understand what you mean, and that is also the approach I take at the moment.

I'm up to 52 Hindu squats and 26 Hindu pushups. I hate doing the pushups, but I love what they are doing for me. I haven't started bridging yet. I'm doing some Pilates exercises and crunches instead.

Yoda, are the books and tapes worth the $$?

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

What does Be Genki mean?

3973[/snapback]

Genki is healthy, lively, well in Japanese. "How are you?" in Japanese is "Ogenki desu ka?" I lived in Japan for almost 3 years and it is just a turn of phrase that I use with my friends, many of whom are martial artists. :)

Genki is healthy, lively, well in Japanese. "How are you?" in Japanese is "Ogenki desu ka?" I lived in Japan for almost 3 years and it is just a turn of phrase that I use with my friends, many of whom are martial artists.  :)

3978[/snapback]

Origato! :)

I think that Matt's original Combat Conditioning and Beyond CC are both good, but there is plenty info out there on combatconditioning.com and the mikemahler.com site for free. Maybe Mike's site is down at the moment. I haven't really gotten into them like Cam has, though, so he's definitely the taobum expert.

-Yoda

I would just spend the $200 and get Gama fitness .There is a ton of useful stuff in there that goes beyond CC .It actually took me a couple years to really appreciate all the gems in it.

Isometrics, the different pullups, Bridging Gymnastics, Stretching, the info on diet and all the stuff on acheiving your goals.

I think Yodster has the course maybe he will donate it to the bums of the Tao :huh:

example...

reach down and grab your ankles. now touch your ass to your heels. now raise your ass back up into the original positions. NOW TAKE IT UP DA BUNGA-HOWL FROM DA SERGEANT.do 50 and see how it feels =p

3944[/snapback]

JOIN DA ARMY - TAKE IT UP DA BUNGA-HOWL - KILL INOCENT CIVVILIANS - GET BLOWN UP TO PIECES - BE ALL YA CAN BE:

http://rense.com/general65/star.htm

IM TELLIN YA MAN, JOIN DA MILLITIA INSTEAD. OR JUST EAT PUSY N SMOKE GRAS.

RJ

ok, i'm not big on strength training. i do push ups, ab-roller, and some pull ups. thats it. so decided today to do the maike mahler stuff. the hidu squats were easy, probably cuz of the cycling i do. the hindu push ups were harder, partly cuz of the form, and partly cuz i'm using new muscles due to more range of motion. the tiger pushups were really hard. i thought they were the same as the hands-together push ups i was already doing. but when i checked the form to be sure, they weren't. and they were tough. the other really tuff one was the superman roll outs. i do the ab-roller on my knees and thought it wouldnt be too hard to make the transition. man, did i have another thing coming! really pulls on the top of your thighs. pretty tuff stuff. i think i'll give it a whirl for a while.

I'm up to 52 Hindu squats and 26 Hindu pushups. I hate doing the pushups, but I love what they are doing for me. I haven't started bridging yet. I'm doing some Pilates exercises and crunches instead.

Yoda, are the books and tapes worth the $$?

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

3972[/snapback]

MAN UNTIL YA DO *AT LEAST* 200 HIND SQUATS YA DONT KNOW WHAT THEY BE LIKE.

REMMEMBER, UNLIKE WEIGHT LIFTIN, THERE BE CERTAIN THANGS WHERE YA CAN *ALWAYS* DO *ONE MORE*.

EXAMPLES:

1) DOIN ONE MORE HINDU SQUAT

2) RUNNIN ONE MORE YARD

3) SHAGIN ONE MORE THRUST INTO DA WIFE'S PEACH

YA SEE? GET DA IDEA? DO ONE MORE, THEN ONE MORE, THEN ONE MORE... LIFE BE ONE MORE HINDU QUAT AT A TIME!

RJ

YA SEE? GET DA IDEA? DO ONE MORE, THEN ONE MORE, THEN ONE MORE... LIFE BE ONE MORE HINDU QUAT AT A TIME!

RJ

4014[/snapback]

LOL!!

That's the same way you get people onto a Tokyo train.

Q: how many people can you put on a Tokyo train?

A: One more.

I'll let you know when I get to 200.

Be Genki Ron,

Tenguzake

I haven't had time yet to check out the video and articles you guys have been mentioning (I've only read the CC book), but I've started combining Hindu squats with some light tendon work.

The basic idea is to feel the tendons connecting through body: the thumb connects to the big toe; the pinkie to the little toe, etc.

So taking the thumb as an example:

As I pull my arms towards my body and inhale I (1) LIFT and pull my thumb slightly back while keeping my other fingers level and (2) press down slightly on my big toe. Lifting the finger and pressing on the toe stretches the tendon (be sure to keep your elbows and wrists parallel); as I drop into the squat I tend to release the stretch.

On the next rep I (1) DROP my thumb while keeping my other fingers level and (2) press down on my big toe.

So I do ten reps (five with the thumb going up and five with it going down) and then shift to the pinkie and little toe. And I continue this way, working my way through all five fingers and toes, ten reps a finger. By the way, this makes counting reps a snap too, as you're only counting to ten. Doing all five fingers ='s 50 reps, so it's easy to keep track of your total number of reps.

After a couple of months, this has begun to get interesting and I can feel the individual tendons running through my kua, in my neck, etc. I'm going to keep playing and see where this leads.

Trip

As I pull my arms towards my body and inhale I (1) LIFT and pull my thumb slightly back while keeping my other fingers level and (2) press down slightly on my big toe. Lifting the finger and pressing on the toe stretches the tendon (be sure to keep your elbows and wrists parallel); as I drop into the squat I tend to release the stretch.

(snip)

By the way, this makes counting reps a snap too, as you're only counting to ten.

On the other hand, it probably makes it real hard to stay upright :D I think I'd fall over by about rep 2! I still sometimes wobble quite a lot just doing normal H squats.

Trip,

Killer ap! Winn would say to count in from the pinky to the thumb. I'll check it out.

-Yoda

Hi Yoda,

It's basically a counting thing, so I can tell which set of 10 I'm on: I do the thumb first, for numbers 1-10, and then switch to the pinkie. The pinkie, looking at my left hand palms down, is the first finger in, and numbers 11-20 fall on it; the ring finger (2nd) catches numbers 21-30, the fuck-you digit (3rd) gets numbers 31-40, etc; when I work my way back to the thumb (5th finger), numbers 51-60 fall there. Pretty anal, I know. Thank God in the HT we just have to count our blessings and not our breaths.

Probably at first you won't feel the tendon, or much of it, but this should change with time. Remember to keep your shoulders down, arms parallel in front of you, and initiate the movement from the scapula and then the elbow.

We're just tacking this tendon work onto the beginning part of the squat; as I said, I don't try and hold the stretch through the squat itself, so it doesn't add too much overhead.

Enjoy,

Trip