Sign in to follow this  
SiliconValley

Seamm Jasani

Anyone practicing Seamm Jasani?

From Wiki:

"Seamm-Jasani or Gentle Boabom is a slower, calmer system that consists of slow and fluid exercises that improve coordination and balance, and help to build an equilibrium between body and mind through various techniques of breathing and movement".

There is the famous book: The Secret Art of Seamm Jasani: 58 Movements for Eternal Youth from Ancient Tibet.

"Seamm-Jasani, an ancient Tibetan movement system, teaches us how to look and feel younger than our biological age, to increase health and decrease illness, and to find inner peace, calm, and relaxation.

More than 10,000 years ago in the ancient Himalayan Mountains, an ancestral civilization committed itself to the study and development of the Science and Art for Eternal Youth. A form kept in close secrecy for millennia is now revealed for the first time in this practical and dynamic guidebook. The teachings focus on cultivating the powers of the individual's mind, the harmony of movements, and the discovery of internal potentialities as the ultimate force of self-healing to extend one's lifetime.

Comparable to a cross between yoga and tai chi, this ancient Tibetan system is designed to increase vitality, balance, and Inner Energy. The Secret Art consists of slow and fluid movements that improve coordination and strengthen equilibrium between body and mind through various breathing and movement techniques. In particular, Seamm-Jasani is known for its combination of relaxation, active motion, and breathing exercises".

A review on Amazon:

"I ordered the Seamm Jasani book from simple curiosity. After one session of trying just the first few exercises, I knew I'd found "a pearl of great price". The energy washed over me in warm and gentle, yet powerful, waves, as though some kind of gate were unlocked. It felt so good. It has liberated something in me and I cannot thank this author enough.

I have extensive experience in energy and movement systems (including nei gong/qi gong, Zen meditation, kundalini meditation, taijiquan, baguazhang, xingyiquan, various forms of Yoga, etc. After pondering the differences and similarities in movement among all of them, I have concluded that this one (Seamm Jasani) may be the original "root" system, from which the others derived various fragments over time. It seems to me that those other adopters then modified their fragments of this material for their own special purposes and created the various better-known systems. It's all a bit mysterious, but I can't argue with results.

I've always been searching for a system that delivers the most "Bang" (pure energy) for the absolute least "Buck" (time investment, training process, special equipment, physical prerequisites, etc.) By this cost/benefit metric, Seamm Jasani takes "Win, Place, and Show" over any system or method known to me".

I've been tempted to check this out for years, nice review thanks, I think I will buy this now. Wish they had a video though, I hate trying to translate movements from books.

Sean

I've been tempted to check this out for years, nice review thanks, I think I will buy this now. Wish they had a video though, I hate trying to translate movements from books.

Sean

Exactly what I feel ...

The book is somewhat clear but not clear enough to satisfactorily practice. You may want to check out some negative reviews for it as well on Amazon.

waste of money.

there's no new foundation. no new eye-opening approach. the guy is capitalizing on the form's rarity in a market where old + obscure = best. it has a cool looking cover and a boatload of unsubstantiated claims with virtually no depth.

the author has constructed a fairy tale. given that the book came out in 2003, trust me when i say that this system would have been known by now if it brought anything new and good to the table.

or don't trust me. see for yourself.

if you're a practitioner and want to drop $13 on something that could actually expand your movement vocabulary and give you a deeper appreciation for the intersections of qigong and yoga, i say check out shiva rea's Fluid Power: Vinyasa Flow Yoga.

if you don't believe me about the seamm jasani book, then make me an offer and i'll sell you mine.

give you a deeper appreciation for the intersections of qigong and yoga, i say check out shiva rea's Fluid Power: Vinyasa Flow Yoga.

Thanks for the timely advice, I was about to hit the 'Go' on Amazon :-)

totally agree with Hundun... for me it was waste of money... no power inside...

if not some desperate girl I would put it in rubbish bin that never happen with yoga books in years

Thanks for the timely advice, I was about to hit the 'Go' on Amazon :-)

Edited by KoHsuan

I have extensive experience in energy and movement systems (including nei gong/qi gong, Zen meditation, kundalini meditation, taijiquan, baguazhang, xingyiquan, various forms of Yoga, etc. After pondering the differences and similarities in movement among all of them, I have concluded that this one (Seamm Jasani) may be the original "root" system, from which the others derived various fragments over time. It seems to me that those other adopters then modified their fragments of this material for their own special purposes and created the various better-known systems. It's all a bit mysterious, but I can't argue with results.

Even if Seamm Jasani is a real system and not simply invented by the author and only expert in the western world, this is still a silly conclusion. Tibet has always been the backwater boarder between India and China. Thats not to say there haven't been wonderful cultivators in Tibet but that Tibet's cultivation systems owe greatly to China and India and not the other way around.

Besides, shamanic dancing was the origin of it all. And as far as I know that's an activity that stretches back into history as long as homosapien.

Tibet has always been the backwater boarder between India and China. Thats not to say there haven't been wonderful cultivators in Tibet but that Tibet's cultivation systems owe greatly to China and India and not the other way around.

????? Well yes i dont really want to get into a debate about it but heres a few points,

Tibet has its own native tradition Bon which is said to date back seventeen thousand years, within this tradition is the complete path of Dzogchen which is also found in the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism, this path culminates in the body of light in which the physical body is transformed into light at the time of death, many Bon masters have acheived this throughout millenia, hardly backwater stuff.

While Buddhism did come to Tibet from India the tantric traditions truly flourished in Tibet, more than they had in India.

It is well known that Daoists in China particualy in Southern China which borders Tibet adopted alot of techniques from the Tibetan tradition into their own traditions.

anyways just a little food for thought.

Edited by james

I see "Backwater" is perhaps an inappropriately charged word but this is the historical view that China and India held towards Tibet. Into the 6th and 7th century Tibet had yet to develop a written language. It still used primitive agriculture techniques and had relatively poor medical knowledge. It's was (and still is) a hard life, limited population, and allows less time for other pursuits above surviving. Compare this to China's and India's huge developed civilizations at the time.

I'm not saying "uncivilized" is bad, only that little cultures are heavily influenced by big cultures, rarely the other way around. Though any exchange will influence both cultures in some way.

Pre-language Bon was a local oral tradition. How can you date an oral tradition? Every culture on earth had/has an oral tradition. And you may as well say every oral tradition dates back to the dawn of man. Oral traditions are living things, always changing, interacting, and diverging. Only writing has the power to carve culture dead into a stone tablet.

Edited by 松永道

Sign in to follow this