Sign in to follow this  
kakapo

How do you save money?

I use Mint Mobile $15.00 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 5GB of highspeed data. It has unlimited slower data which is fine for google maps and Spotify.

I get my glasses from Zenni Optical, which is about 1/10th the cost of my optometrist.

I use GoodRX for prescription medication discounts.

I've switched my whole house to LED lights, and use rechargeable batteries.

I use an ultra low flow shower head to reduce both water usage and electricity required to heat the water.

I use an HD antenna, and a Roku box for tons of free TV and content.

I use a crockpot to slow cook things while I work and have both a dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day, this is a super cheap and easy way to cook meals.

I shop at goodwill for dress clothes.

I use Aldi, and discount dent and ding grocery stores.

I use a chest freezer to stock up on items on sale, bread and milk can be frozen without ruining their taste.

I drive an older car, and keep it well maintained

• Like 1

I always keep an eye out for coupons and sales, even in unlikely places. I usually don't have groceries delivered because of the fees, but today postmates gave me a coupon for $40 off groceries. Even after the delivery fee ($7) and tip ($10) that's still $23 cheaper than without. 

And I second Mint mobile! I've been using them for years.

3 hours ago, kakapo said:

I use Mint Mobile $15.00 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 5GB of highspeed data. It has unlimited slower data which is fine for google maps and Spotify.

I dont leave the farm, then I have no where to spend money . :) 

Also no debts or auto repayments , so if I dont actually spend the $ , nothing is coming out .

I get my glasses from Zenni Optical, which is about 1/10th the cost of my optometrist.

I use GoodRX for prescription medication discounts.

I use gov. funded prescriptions. One expensive one I did have , not on  the scheme , I have now replaced as  I found an exercise set which gives better results.

I've switched my whole house to LED lights, and use rechargeable batteries.

My house runs on rechargeable batteries .

I use an ultra low flow shower head to reduce both water usage and electricity required to heat the water.

I have a large shower  and manually removed the internal reducer ( that they all have now )  AND installed a booster pump  ( again solar power )  for super duper high pressure shower .   It is gas heated water ,  but I keep it on mark 2 and that lasts a much longer time , I turn it up to 7 -8 1 hr before use and then back down afterwards .  I have considered a solar hot water system , but my place is inside a grove of big trees , not enough sun light   ..... or very long pipes (not viable ) would be needed ,

I use an HD antenna, and a Roku box for tons of free TV and content.

The only TV I watch is free broadcast , but that is pretty shit , so I tend not to watch much, I cant imagine paid tv is much better .

I use a crockpot to slow cook things while I work and have both a dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day, this is a super cheap and easy way to cook meals.

This time of year I cook on the wood fire inside a lot , that saves gas as the fire  will be going anyway (at night ) . Sometimes I will part cook a pot meal and then wrap it in old towels for the last half of the cooking , saves gas .  Living alone , often have leftovers .

I shop at goodwill for dress clothes.

I dont wear dresses . 

I use Aldi, and discount dent and ding grocery stores.

I use the veggie garden where possible, the property has a fair amount of fruit growing on it .  and now, I get free health honey  ;)  (see signature below )

I use a chest freezer to stock up on items on sale, bread and milk can be frozen without ruining their taste.

Nah, I dont do that . That would chew up electricity . But I do find I have a bit of 'waste'  at times  , not an issue, it goes in compost or the birds get a feast .

the best way I have found , better than a fridge , to store food is to leave it in the ground . Eg. carrots, ready to pick last MUCH longer in the ground than in the fridge .  And is much more satisfying to pull some carrots out the ground for dinner than it is pulling them out the fridge .

I drive an older car, and keep it well maintained

Yes, not going out means saving on fuel as well , but there is no other transport option around here  ... except hitch hiking .   I have a 20 year old retro classic  car , thats cheap .... as long as it doesnt need attention !  I did buy a new motorcycle , also retro, a few years back, but it was 'cheap'  (half the cost of the equivalent Triumph ... which is made in Thailand now anyway ) ,  'sensible' , sturdy and not too much can go wrong with it . They are also a LOT cheaper to run and easy to work on .

Still, the best way to save for me seems to be just stay at home .

Oh yeah .... and dont do drugs  ........ kids  

..... unless you make em yourself  .

17 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Not living in the US helps.  (Though expat life has it's disadvantages as well and is not for everybody.) -_-

And not living 

....  helps to save money .

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Luke , I think someone was seeking around last night while we where asleep stealing things !

I am sure put some information on the shelf over there last night  ( about letting energy flow through the LDT and not being stored there , and with an attached question or two ) and for the life of me , no matter where I look, it seems to have vanished !  Not a trace !

Weird isnt it .

I did see a note from the cleaners , they said they found some rubbish and threw it out  ???? Surely they where not referring to  my info ?

Surely not, as I see over there on the other shelf , that ...... 'stuff'  is still piled up all over the place ;  that stuff about fleshy surfs needing boats , everyone barking and being idiots, and a whole lot of crazy shit from people that 'stopped taking  their meds' .

:unsure:

53 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Hey Luke , I think someone was seeking around last night 

You know what I always say: pick a spiritual tradition and stick with it.  But do these young Bums listen?  They do not.  They're always seeking around.

Edited by liminal_luke

How does one save money?

me thinks, by not spending it.

there are always exceptions;

purchasing things you need while they are “on sale” is one method.

bartering, another.

an exception is; if you’re not spending any money due to the reality of not having any, doesn’t actually save any, perhaps, and of course there is always another exception.

Illusion also plays its part.

there is the illusion of saving money.

not to mention the illusion of money, itself.

saving money, hmmm

may be or may not be prudent or productive or profitable.

me thinks it is always personal.

each individual finds their path along the many pathways of money. It’s an adventure.

my take on it for some time now, is less is more.

to clarify; me not saying saving less is more,

rather, less is more when it comes to money.

I reckon this seems a paradox to many.

the Richness gained from solving this paradox is like receiving a crown of great treasure. Priceless 

Get money ......save money ..... then spend it .

Usually I dont waste time .

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this