old3bob

"But consider the Tao..."

"But consider the Tao, which transcends both finite and infinite.  Since the Tao is All and nothing lies outside it, since its multiplicity and unity are identical, when a finite being sheds the illusion of separate existence, he is not lost in the Tao like a dew-drop merging with the sea; by casting off his imaginary limitations, he becomes immeasurable.  No longer bound by the worldly categories, 'part' and 'whole', he discoveres that he is coextensive with the Tao.  Plunge the finite into the infinite and, though only one remains, the finite, far from being diminished, takes on the stature of infinity."  

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I copied it years ago and lost track of its source, might be able to go back and find it?

• Thanks 1

Of course!  Blofeld!

That short work by Blofeld struck me in several arenas like a bolt of lightning from a clear blue sky.

Time to revisit it. 

Thanks for sharing bob and thanks for finding the source cobie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Link removed on advice from Silent Thunder.

Can't seem to get rid of the image, though!

image.png

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, old3bob said:

"But consider the Tao, which transcends both finite and infinite.  Since the Tao is All and nothing lies outside it, since its multiplicity and unity are identical, when a finite being sheds the illusion of separate existence, he is not lost in the Tao like a dew-drop merging with the sea; by casting off his imaginary limitations, he becomes immeasurable.  No longer bound by the worldly categories, 'part' and 'whole', he discoveres that he is coextensive with the Tao.  Plunge the finite into the infinite and, though only one remains, the finite, far from being diminished, takes on the stature of infinity."  

"No longer bound by the worldly categories, 'part' and 'whole', he discovers that he is coextensive with the Tao."

The PDF I sourced above opens with:

"The One Mind, omniscient, vacuous, immaculate, eternal, the
Unobscured Voidness, void of quality as the sky, self-originated
Wisdom, shining clearly, imperishable, in Itself that Thatness .. .
To see things as a multiplicity, and so to cleave unto separateness,
is to err" — The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation.

I have a friend who disliked my characterization of "one-pointedness of mind" as the mind that moves.  Reading the above, I realize that he identifies "mind" as the open space itself (he's big on the "Book of the Great Liberation").

I changed my characterization of "one-pointedness of mind" to a singularity of attention placed out of necessity in the movement of breath, and sustained through the presence of mind.  

That definition allows me to say:

“One-pointedness” can shift, as every particle of the body (with no part left out) comes into the placement of attention.  At the moment when “one-pointedness” can shift as though in open space, volition and habit in the activity of inhalation and exhalation ceases. 

I think my friend has given up on me.

Edited by Mark Foote

11 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Is it in public domain now?

I don't know if it's public domain.  Terebess has many sacred works and works dedicated to the sacred, available without charge.

Edited by Mark Foote

I do not jive with Buddhist ponderings on mind...to me mind is a computer like device, it can be programed with anything from a-z and give results from a-z but it is no more aware or pure than a computer is aware or pure. (although and hopefully we are using more than just 5-10% of it as some say, and that it is good working order and not banged up)  Thus it has no identity of its own it just runs mind programs.  So when we as the computer operator realize we are not our computer/mind then we are getting free.  

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, old3bob said:

to me mind is a computer like device

Better to think of the personality mind in that way. 

The higher mind has access to higher intelligences

6 hours ago, Lairg said:

Better to think of the personality mind in that way. 

The higher mind has access to higher intelligences

to me mind of the first light/heaven/connection is still of mind,  not the Self which is source of all aspects of mind .

Edited by old3bob

6 hours ago, old3bob said:

to me mind of the first light/heaven/connection is still of mind,  not the Self which is source of all aspects of mind .

How do you separate the two?

13 hours ago, Mark Foote said:

I don't know if it's public domain.  Terebess has many sacred works and works dedicated to the sacred, available without charge.

They may offer a lot, if however it's not in public domain, it's a big no no to link it on the forum.

3 hours ago, manitou said:

well I don't often answer a question with a question but, how did the "Tao give birth to the One" and still have a connection since the One would cease without said connection.  (also when the One and everything which was born down the line returns to the Tao what will it or they be then?)

Edited by old3bob

As result of a strange dream and later experiments I find it useful to distinguish Beingness from the intermittent Existence.

Beingness provides the life force (the Hindu five electricities) that penetrates and maintains Existence.

When Beingness has had enough experience, it ceases Existence and the Mahapralaya continues until the next Existence is caused.

The standard human contains a thread of Beingness that is the source of its spiritual authority when the human approaches first stage enlightenment.

Edited by Lairg

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

They may offer a lot, if however it's not in public domain, it's a big no no to link it on the forum.

Ok--thanks for the counsel, silent thunder, I appreciate that.

22 hours ago, old3bob said:

well I don't often answer a question with a question but, how did the "Tao give birth to the One" and still have a connection since the One would cease without said connection.  (also when the One and everything which was born down the line returns to the Tao what will it or they be then?)

Because it's all happening here and now.  No connection required.  We are the One.

8 minutes ago, manitou said:

Because it's all happening here and now.  No connection required.  We are the One.

agreed on an ultimate level, but still the steps can not be denied as in, the Tao gave birth to the One, the One to the Two, the Two to the Three and then on through many more steps to the Ten Thousand...with connections between all of them.  There are also the great astronomical connections of how phenomena affect one another, namely gravity fields, electro-magnetic fields,  the pull of the moon on earth's tides, light being bent by gravity, black holes, etc, etc.  So we have  countless connections there of or between same and of course the astral energy fields of living beings making subtle connections among each other along with all the easily observable psychical interactions/connections  taking place in our physical world of matter and elements.  Along with the adverse effects to life when there is breaking down of some of those connections!  (in the webs of life)

On 5/25/2023 at 6:47 AM, old3bob said:

On 5/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, manitou said:

My answer fwiw, through the action of a mind which feels itself to be separate due to conditions associated with human birth. 

On 5/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, old3bob said:

Interesting that this is expressed in terms of past and future tense as if birthing and returning are limited in time/space. A mother never loses connection with their child nor the Dao with its myriad expressions. The separation was never there to begin with.

22 hours ago, old3bob said:

agreed on an ultimate level, but still the steps can not be denied as in, the Tao gave birth to the One, the One to the Two, the Two to the Three and then on through many more steps to the Ten Thousand...with connections between all of them.  There are also the great astronomical connections of how phenomena affect one another, namely gravity fields, electro-magnetic fields,  the pull of the moon on earth's tides, light being bent by gravity, black holes, etc, etc.  So we have  countless connections there of or between same and of course the astral energy fields of living beings making subtle connections among each other along with all the easily observable psychical interactions/connections  taking place in our physical world of matter and elements.  Along with the adverse effects to life when there is breaking down of some of those connections!  (in the webs of life)

I am happy to deny the existence of any such steps in the relationship among phenomena and their ultimate source. Steps are an artificial overlay created by the mind to try and apprehend something that can only be appreciated without its own interference.

Self realized Sat guru's/Rishi's of Vedic related lineages of thousands of years have room to discuss variations of dualism, qualified non-dualism, non-dualism, time and space and beyond time and space teachings, thus are without abstract denials of the aspects dipolar realities.

btw the we are in time, space, and form with connections right now to be able to bandi these subjects about. 

Edited by old3bob

To truly 'see', it's very helpful to look at things without time.  Like a slinky all coiled up when there is no time, stretched out when there is.   In that state, everything is in the here and now.  When time is taken out of the equation, things can be seen more clearly because the beginning, middle, and end are all 'visible' to our intuition.  In order to see this way, I think the most important thing is to have the ability to remove preferences and judgments from the personality while evaluating the phenomena.

I don't think time's a big mystery.  It's planetary rotation, that's all. There would be no time if day didn't follow night.  It seems to be the mechanical means for this strange world drama to play out - both collectively and individually.

Outside my house is a tree that several people have stated carries energy from Sirius (blazing star).

Recently a source called the tree a "family tree" as it carries energy from a Sirian group related to a woman that visited here once.

When I slide back on the timeline, the Sirian family energy arrived 4 years before the house was built and 5 years before the visit of the woman recognized by the Sirian family.  The woman has the same experience of time events.

How did that energy know which tree to choose - long before that land was subdivided for houses?

It seems that time is not as linear as humans are taught.

https://www.amazon.com/Montauk-Project-Experiments-Time/dp/0963188909

Various OTO magicians were supposedly connected to Montauk

Edited by Lairg

things and events happen in time and space and can not be seen or exist without a framework of time's and space's,  true that normal limits of linear  time and space can be overcome but still here is no "without time" for things and events,    "only No-thing can enter no-space" per the T.T.C.... and neither can mind (which is inherently of things) enter there...

1 hour ago, old3bob said:

things and events happen in time and space and can not be seen or exist without a framework of time's and space's,  true that normal limits of linear  time and space can be overcome but still here is no "without time" for things and events,    "only No-thing can enter no-space" per the T.T.C.... and neither can mind (which is inherently of things) enter there...

My limited understanding is that time and space are characteristics of our perception and understanding of things and events, but not necessarily intrinsic characteristics of the things and events themselves. 

• Like 1