CyrusTheGreat

Does meditating on the Dan Tian build up the Qi there?

If I meditate on the Real Lower Dan Tian during regular sitting meditation, will that build up and store Qi there? Is that an effective approach to filling the Real Lower Dan Tian?

In my observation of various meditators, it is heart light that builds the DTs.

Mental light may or may not be useful depending on the mental state.

On 08.05.2023 at 12:48 PM, -_sometimes said:

Afaik no, it will instead build stagnation, as you will likely be directing the mind in a contrived way. If you want to learn how to build and store qi in the lower dantian, have a look at damo mitchell's neigong course: https://damomitchell.com/nei-gong-course/

To induce stagnation and qi deviation, resulting in a perpetual impediment to personal development, is a course of action that may be pursued by some. However, in the event that such endeavors fail to yield any siddhi, one may find solace in the consumption of whiskey, heavy alcohol, and cigars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Im not sure we've had the pleasure of interacting with one another

I don't believe we have.. I tend to lurk more than post to be fair, as I'm still quite new to this whole thing. The pleasure's all mine, you have some good posts!

27 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Now its decision time

Throw an apple and run. Leave the mess to everyone else :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strangely it is easy for me to accumulate chi in the Sea of Chi point(false lower dan tien), to the point where I can clearly feel it. But I can't get it to Real Lower Dan Tien(Point between the Sea of Chi and Ming Men in the center of the body)

Edited by salaam123
  • Like 1

The Dan Tian requires a Dan to manifest the breath there. 

Getting there, you don't need the navel field, you need Xuan Guan(玄關一竅)

Instead of nurturing a seedless field, look more into Wuwei. 

Edited by Cyric

Mod message 

The insulting remarks and derailing posts have been moved to the pit to allow the discussion to continue without interference. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:41 AM, CyrusTheGreat said:

If I meditate on the Real Lower Dan Tian during regular sitting meditation, will that build up and store Qi there? Is that an effective approach to filling the Real Lower Dan Tian?

Okay… So, have your hands in the cosmic mudra, palms up, thumbs touching, and there’s this common instruction: place your mind here. Different people interpret this differently. Some people will say this means to place your attention here, meaning to keep your attention on your hands. It’s a way of turning the lens to where you are in space so that you’re not looking out here and out here and out here. It’s the positive version, perhaps, of ‘navel gazing’.

The other way to understand this is to literally place your mind where your hands are–to relocate mind (let’s not say your mind) to your centre of gravity, so that mind is operating from a place other than your brain. Some traditions take this very seriously, this idea of moving your consciousness around the body. I wouldn’t recommend dedicating your life to it, but as an experiment, I recommend trying it, sitting in this posture and trying to feel what it’s like to let your mind, to let the base of your consciousness, move away from your head. One thing you’ll find, or that I have found, at least, is that you can’t will it to happen, because you’re willing it from your head. To the extent that you can do it, it’s an act of letting go–and a fascinating one. 

(“No Struggle [Zazen Yojinki, Part 6]”, by koun Franz, from the “Nyoho Zen” site
https://nyoho.com/2018/09/15/no-struggle-zazen-yojinki-part-6/)

I’ve written about my approach:

I begin with making the surrender of volition in activity related to the movement of breath the object of thought.  For me, that necessitates thought applied and sustained with regard to relaxation of the activity of the body, with regard to the exercise of calm in the stretch of ligaments, with regard to the detachment of mind, and with regard to the presence of mind.  I find that a presence of mind from one breath to the next can precipitate “one-pointedness of mind”, but laying hold of “one-pointedness of mind” requires a surrender of willful activity in the body much like falling asleep.

(Response)

4 hours ago, Mark Foote said:

place your mind here

The quality of the mind is important.  Some humans dislike their physical body and their physical and emotional desires.  That is unlikely to be spiritually productive 

• Like 2

According to Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, the Real LDT is filled by meditating on it. From what I understand, he is a reputable expert on the topic, so I'm surprised at the responses here. If meditating on the real LDT is not enough, then how is one supposed to build it up?

• Like 1

I don't know about the Dan but I know shaking like the guru Osho, beating and other muscle tricks generate some sort of electrical movement in the body .   I don't think there's any gain in this, beyond a funny buzz.    

Would you say charging things with the mind charges them different?  

(excuse the playing around, I don't have a tai chi instructor, I know there is proper sustainable theory about those body processes that I hope to learn some day)

Edited by sustainablefarm86

22 hours ago, CyrusTheGreat said:

According to Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, the Real LDT is filled by meditating on it. From what I understand, he is a reputable expert on the topic, so I'm surprised at the responses here. If meditating on the real LDT is not enough, then how is one supposed to build it up?

You need to do other neigong and waigong practices as well as meditating on the real LDT

• Like 2

Things that fill the LDT with heat and vibration from my experience is breath of fire, MCO, testicle breathing, beating and drumming the qi, and breathwork. With meditating on the LDT you can get vibration fast if you i.e. in a seated position manage to relax your whole body on an outbreath while still sealing of the anal sphinxter which is a lot easier said than done. It requires hard focus to first do six directional breathing into the LDT and then relax while still sealing but you can practice and will then be able to fill the LDT faster and more efficient. 

On 6/13/2023 at 2:28 AM, Pak_Satrio said:

You need to do other neigong and waigong practices as well as meditating on the real LDT

What practices exactly? Pardon my beginner question, but I have scoured the entire forum and didn't seem to find a clear answer so far.

18 hours ago, Nahfets said:

Things that fill the LDT with heat and vibration from my experience is breath of fire, MCO, testicle breathing, beating and drumming the qi, and breathwork. With meditating on the LDT you can get vibration fast if you i.e. in a seated position manage to relax your whole body on an outbreath while still sealing of the anal sphinxter which is a lot easier said than done. It requires hard focus to first do six directional breathing into the LDT and then relax while still sealing but you can practice and will then be able to fill the LDT faster and more efficient. 

Thanks for the answer, but I thought that you first need to fill the real LDT to even conduct the MCO in the first place, no?

On 5/7/2023 at 5:41 PM, CyrusTheGreat said:

If I meditate on the Real Lower Dan Tian during regular sitting meditation, will that build up and store Qi there?

there is a very easy way to answer this great question. just try doing it a couple of times and see if it works. let us know how it goes.

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

there is a very easy way to answer this great question. just try doing it a couple of times and see if it works. let us know how it goes.

Smart people learn from other people's mistakes.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Do your crunches CyrusTheGreat and you will definately know if that's the way the build a six pack...that or spend more time idealizing a six pack. That simple.

Edited by oak
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, oak said:

Do your crunches CyrusTheGreat and you will definately know if that's the way the build a six pack...that or spend more time idealizing a six pack. That simple.

What's the point of science if you can't build on the knowledge of your priors? If every individual scientist had to reinvent their entire field from scratch, we wouldn't make any progress anywhere.

If I wanted to know whether a particular substance is safe or poisonous, the intelligent approach wouldn't be to test it on myself, but to first see if other people have experience with it.

Edited by CyrusTheGreat
spelling
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CyrusTheGreat said:

This is not as profound an answer as you think it is. What's the point of science if you can't build on the knowledge of your priors? If every individual scientists had to reinvent their entire field from scratch, we wouldn't make any progress anywhere.

If I wanted to know whether a particular substance is safe or poisonous, the intelligent approach wouldn't be to test it on myself, but to first see if other people have experience with it.

My priors, the ones that really taught me anything useful in reality didn't tell me much, they gave me clues and suggested a few good, basic, classic, readings. When i told them about such and such author that seemed to know so much about so many details of the path I was told to learn to chew my own food instead of having it chewed by others. But eventually I kept asking, ignoring the answers untill I was told to go away. You can't imagine how grateful I am untill this day for that 🙂

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 5:50 AM, CyrusTheGreat said:

What practices exactly? Pardon my beginner question, but I have scoured the entire forum and didn't seem to find a clear answer so far.

Find a teacher who can teach you these practices properly, don’t learn from reading random people’s text online.