Tao Boxer

I - Ching

"No, clean hands are a must -- the process of change refuses to get exposed to filth."

I can only agree with Pro, change happens whether you like it or not, whether you want to participate in it or not, whether you shit your pants and wash in it or not. Silly ritual is for silly ritualists.

Yes change happens whether we like it or not.

When preparing ones self before approaching the I Ching there is a shift in consciousness.

This shift allows one to be more open - receptive to what is offered.

We are aligning ourselves with the Tao.

It is a choice of approaching the master with a full cup or with an empty one.

The master keeps pouring even though the students cup is running over.

He tells the student he will be ready to receive the teaching when his cup is empty.

When you clean your house there is an energy shift.

Even if you only clean the drawers and put them in order the room also changes it's energy.

It's all about awareness and aligning yourself with higher consciousness.

I think the I Ching has many purposes, which are revealed slowly to those who engage with her. The I Ching has become part of me and has started a type of alchemical process, changing me from within. It could be that the original purpose, if there was one, has been lost and is accessible only to those who have shown the most commitment. Since I am not one of those proposed people, I really wouldn't know.

But I cannot subscribe to the idea that the I Ching is 'just a book'. She is, for me, more than that: the pages, glue and print are representative of (again, this is only what I believe) a consciousness -- a wisdom. And how I treat those pages is a marker for the respect I have for that wisdom and for that which speaks through them. Cleaning hands and using silk may be only a pointless ritual to some, but to me it shows the right state of mind to get the most from the Oracle. If ceremony can help me to enter into the moment fully, then I am all for it.

All I can say is that there is a definite correlation between my growing respect for the I Ching and the knowledge that has been revealed to me.

But that is just my experience.

Screwtape

• Like 1

Divination only takes you away from the moment and fuels the desire for things to be other than what they are. Each day the great man takes less and receives more finding fulfilment in simplicity and doing only what needs to be done.

Hello, Patrick.

Divination, far from taking me away from the moment, plants me directly in it. Nor does it fuel any sort of desire in me for things to be other than what they are.

Within me already exist natural desires. These are not selfish or materialistic. They are part of what makes me me and are what drives me on my journey through life. There are things I want to do, to experience and to achieve and those things arise from me as naturally as my hair, the colour of my eyes and my taste for sweet things.

There is absolutely no need at all for the pursuit of those things to lead to anything negative. There is always that danger, of course, but the I Ching can and does guide me through those dangers safely.

The way you describe is a wonderful way to go through life; but the way of wishing to shape one's own fate can be wonderful too, and just as fulfilling and free from suffering.

Respectfully,

Screwtape

• Like 1

Hi,

I realize this is no small/easy question, but......

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the TRUE purpose of the I - Ching ?

Thanks

The "true" purpose? As opposed to the untrue purpose? I'll just talk about what it does, while not caring about if it's the "true" purpose or not.

Cheng Hu stated that "The book of changes deals with nothing but the principles of reversal, coming and going, rise and fall." His brother, Cheng Yi, added: "Written by the ancients, the book of changes is applicable to everything, heaven, earth, the hidden, the visible, insects, plants and little, irrelevant things." (Quotes are from "Verandering en duur in de I Ching," a bundle of essays by Wilhelm).

Another way of looking at the I Ching is stated in Confucius' commentary on hexagram 16 line 2:

"To know the seeds, that is divine indeed. In his association with those above him, the superior man does not flatter. In his association with those beneath him, he is not arrogant. For he knows the seeds. The seeds are the first imperceptible beginning of movement, the first trace of good fortune (or misfortune) that shows itself. The superior man perceives the seeds and immediately takes action. He does not wait even a whole day.

In the Book of Changes it is said:

"Firm as a rock. Not a whole day.

Perseverance brings good fortune."

http://www.wisdomportal.com/IChing/IChing-Wilhelm.html#16

• Like 1

what if ther' s no water?is it better with clean hands or clean mind?of course if you follow the course of mind of the ancient people,it would be a sign of courtesy to follow the prescripted "rituals",and respect.Then again it seems that I Ching is aware of

your state of mind when you do the consulting.As the true purpose of I Ching is the same as yours.

P.S.I personally found intresting the translation of R.Wilhelm with an introduction by G.Jung