Sign in to follow this  
a5a5a9

Fragrant not allowing me to reconcile sleeping ?

So I've been doing Fragrant QiGong and in several ocasions like last night I often do some meditation and last night felt the energy moving up/down my head and arms while meditating I then tried to bring the energy down from my head but still later I couldn't sleep. This has happen several ocassions.

does anyone know of a QiGong that purposefully helps to sleep better ?

I'd point you to yoga nidras, the original guided meditations.  Some are more sleep oriented, all of them deeply relax the body.  To some extent relaxed body and mind can be the best you can hope for, especially when an energetic meditation, chemical or worry is keeping you up. 

Here's a good source for ones to try : https://www.yoganidranetwork.org/nidras/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, a5a5a9 said:

Flying Phoenix, specifically the second Monk Serves Wine meditation and the first Advanced Monk Serves Wine meditation

Unfortunately for you, Flying Phoenix and Fragrant Qigong are not compatible so you will have to choose between them

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 8:46 PM, a5a5a9 said:

So I've been doing Fragrant QiGong and in several ocasions like last night I often do some meditation and last night felt the energy moving up/down my head and arms while meditating I then tried to bring the energy down from my head but still later I couldn't sleep. This has happen several ocassions.

I think that there's a specific exercise within the fragrant qigong system for preparing for bed. John Dolic demonstrates it in his DVDs. It might be in the book too, but I couldn't be sure.

I remember there being some sort of recommendation not to practice the level one exercises too close to bedtime, but its been a few years since I looked at fragrant qigong.

Generally speaking, if something feels too stimulating for the nervous system, I'd probably recommend speaking to a teacher of that system. John Dolic, Lisa O'Shea or Studio Zhang in Germany are all super helpful over email.

I'm not really a fan of qigong generally these days though, so don't take the above as any sort of recommendation.

As others have mentioned, yoga nidra (or 'non sleep deep rest' as they call it in the research community these days) is particularly great for calming the nervous system. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 8:46 PM, a5a5a9 said:

Just as an added point, I noticed you mentioned that you were practicing fragrant alongside meditation. John Dolic mentions something along those lines here:

This is about a girl and her boyfriend who not only forgot that Fragrant Qigong should not be practiced while practicing other styles of Qigong and similar disciplines (on a daily basis), but used it as a “warm up” before starting their meditation. With Fragrant Qigong Do’s and Don’ts this is a big NO, NO.

http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/blog/post/4097286

I'd still recommend speaking to a teacher if you want to continue practicing. 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 12:23 AM, Vajra Fist said:

The dragon on your link has 5 toes; definitely not conducive to good Chinesehealth. :lol: 

“ … five-clawed dragons were reserved for use only by the emperor ... when someone [else] painted a dragon with five golden claws, … were he and his entire family put to death …” 

https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles/enter-the-dragon-imperial-power-and-its-depictions 

Edited by Cobie
  • Haha 1

Fragrant Qigong cannot be practiced with any qigong method that manipulates breathing in any way. That means that if one does FP, they cannot also do Fragrant Qigong. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this