waterdrop

Youtube qigong videos : pointless ? benifical ? how benifical ?

How legit are youtube qigong videos ?   how beneficial are they ?          can they do harm in some way (even small one) ?        are they beneficial qi wise ?  energetically wise ?           are they just good low intensity exercise and that is it  (not "Real qigong") nothing more ?   

in short - how beneficial are they really ?  how far can you take it with them ? 

Just so what im trying to understand is more clear :  I am thinking this all in comparison to damo mitchell teaching for example , or stuff written in this forum ...  for example on how you cant store qi in the lower dantian before  you "build"  it first  .... yet in many of this videos they talk about drawing qi to the dantian and storing it in the dantian , which according to other teachings its usless and by that view point this youtube videos are misleading

examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCicH-iz1oU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmNWj9YtAw&t=24s

And also wondering about known sets stuff like 8 brocades and shibashi  etc  (that are also on youtube)  ... and how beneficial are they  (cause they say the same things and claimed benifits as the videos above  - stuff like storing qi in lower dantian and stuff like improve eyesight or improve liver and kidney functions etc)  ?

Edited by waterdrop

-How legit are youtube qigong videos?  

Maybe legit, maybe not

-how beneficial are they?         

Maybe beneficial, maybe not

-can they do harm in some way (even small one)?       

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t

-are they beneficial qi wise? 

-energetically wise?          

Maybe, maybe not

-are they just good low intensity exercise and that is it  (not "Real qigong") nothing more?   

Maybe, maybe not

-in short - how beneficial are they really? 

Maybe, maybe not

-how far can you take it with them? 

Maybe, maybe not

————————————

Basically you have no idea unless you do them and could waste time practicing something that has no effect, or something that does harm to you. Or it might actually work. 

Just find a good teacher and save yourself the trouble.

Maybe i change this to what people think about the 2 links i gave as an example , not about if a teacher is better than watching videos online  (which is obvious teacher is better)

And what people think about how some  teachers saying you cant store qi in the lower dantian before  you "build"  it first and yet in many of this videos they talk about drawing qi to the dantian and storing it in the dantian , which according to other teachings its usless and by that view point this youtube videos are misleading ?

So just a reply about this stuff  - about this 2 spesific links i put  ...   and also about the point of how legit a teacher can be if he says the qignong exercise is storing qi in the LDT  when other teachers say you need to build it first .... so by that you can say any teacher who claims you store qi in LDT is misleading , no ? 

Edited by waterdrop

I would recommend  legit Master  as Dr Yang Jwing Ming,  he has done an extraordinary work with his DVD's of the theory and the practice of Qi-gong.

Regarding your concerne about building QI. I think building is the same as Storing no ?  WHy do you see a difference here ?  Some says you build(or store) first  and then you can lead the chi in the body..  

From my point of vue,  in order to "feel" the chi, you must do quite a long period of diligent practice..  i remember when i could feel it but anyway, you are not sure whether it is your imagination more than a real thing. 

As far as i remember,  Master Yang J. M., advised not to separate the two phases.  When you store the QI to an abundant level,  it then becomes more dangerous to make it circulate by doing mistakes.  He then advise to practice the circulation even with a small amount of QI.  Of course at first you should learn how to "feel" it.

Edited by WujitoTao

As far as i remember when studying online with damo mitchell course ,  you need to build the lower dantian container to store your qi in ,  and before doing that you cant really store qi cause you dont have a real container for it  ....  which makes me doubt the legitimacy of any teacher who claims you store qi just by doing a certain movement towards the LDT area ...   and even videos i did and i felt nice and even felt tingling in hands or feeling lightness still when they say you do this movment to store qi  makes me really doubt the teachers (=the people making the video)

Edited by waterdrop

8 hours ago, waterdrop said:

How legit are youtube qigong videos ?   how beneficial are they ?          can they do harm in some way (even small one) ?        are they beneficial qi wise ?  energetically wise ?           are they just good low intensity exercise and that is it  (not "Real qigong") nothing more ?   

in short - how beneficial are they really ?  how far can you take it with them ? 

Just so what im trying to understand is more clear :  I am thinking this all in comparison to damo mitchell teaching for example , or stuff written in this forum ...  for example on how you cant store qi in the lower dantian before  you "build"  it first  .... yet in many of this videos they talk about drawing qi to the dantian and storing it in the dantian , which according to other teachings its usless and by that view point this youtube videos are misleading

examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCicH-iz1oU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmNWj9YtAw&t=24s

And also wondering about known sets stuff like 8 brocades and shibashi  etc  (that are also on youtube)  ... and how beneficial are they  (cause they say the same things and claimed benifits as the videos above  - stuff like storing qi in lower dantian and stuff like improve eyesight or improve liver and kidney functions etc)  ?

Hi, here to help clarify some things. The videos are simply movements and breathing methods, so they have certain benefits if people only follow them. This is a simple form of Qi Gong that is designed not too intense for basic practice. As for how far it will take you, these techniques will likely not do much more.

When they say drawing Qi, what they mean is drawing the awareness and Yi(will) in that direction. Wherever the focus goes, energy will follow. 

3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

As far as i remember when studying online with damo mitchell course ,  you need to build the lower dantian container to store your qi in ,  and before doing that you cant really store qi cause you dont have a real container for it  ....  which makes me doubt the legitimacy of any teacher who claims you store qi just by doing a certain movement towards the LDT area ...   and even videos i did and i felt nice and even felt tingling in hands or feeling lightness still when they say you do this movment to store qi  makes me really doubt the teachers (=the people making the video)

One must look at the body as a whole energy system. It can store Qi essentially everywhere, as there are 100's of energy nodes. Specifically, the LDT or Intenstinal area is designed to do absorb and refine energy. However, as the LDT normally has not been activated or specifically used, it has not been "stretched," so its capacity and functions should be at a lower level. It will be difficult to "store Qi" within and fill it up, but these exercises do in a sense gather a little bit of energy and help to slowly unlock the Dantian.

4 hours ago, WujitoTao said:

Regarding your concerne about building QI. I think building is the same as Storing no ?  WHy do you see a difference here ?  Some says you build(or store) first  and then you can lead the chi in the body..  

From my point of vue,  in order to "feel" the chi, you must do quite a long period of diligent practice..  i remember when i could feel it but anyway, you are not sure whether it is your imagination more than a real thing. 

As far as i remember,  Master Yang J. M., advised not to separate the two phases.  When you store the QI to an abundant level,  it then becomes more dangerous to make it circulate by doing mistakes.  He then advise to practice the circulation even with a small amount of QI.  Of course at first you should learn how to "feel" it.

Indeed, there should not be a distinction in gathering and storing Qi as this is one collective process, as storing it is not simply non-movement. It is like a smaller water stream following into a larger one. It is all interconnected. Hence, exercises like Tai Chi that help improve circulation and align oneself to the natural flow are beneficial.

I can attest that when one stores Qi to an abundant level, it gets very intense to the point that if one does not properly manage the energies, one will face difficulties, tensions, excesses, etc. However, one should not casually circulate energy. Instead, it should first be stabilized through stillness, meditation and steady movements that ground the Qi before allowing it to naturally flow through the body, MCO etc.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 2:16 PM, waterdrop said:

Good case of NLP programming. He makes you doubt the legitimacy of every teacher out there and at the same time he makes you believe you are practicing "legit authentic lineage passed ancient methods - blah blah".
He gives you a plausible reason why it is so, turning off brain and critical thinking.

Two questions to you.

1. Have you verified that Damien has Dan Tien developed by yourself? Have you seen it?
2. Have you seen a single student of Damien who has Dan Tien developed, and high level of neigong power, after 25+ years of teaching career, and he is teaching thousands of people (good chance that someone can succeed).

The questions are rhetorical the answer is known.

Edited by Neirong
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Neirong said:

Good case of NLP programming. He makes you doubt the legitimacy of every teacher out there and at the same time he makes you believe you are practicing "legit authentic lineage passed ancient methods - blah blah".
He gives you a plausible reason why it is so, turning off brain and critical thinking.

Two questions to you.

1. Have you verified that Damien has Dan Tien developed by yourself? Have you seen it?
2. Have you see a single student of Damien who has Dan Tien developed, and high level of neigong power, after 25+ years of teaching career, and he is teaching thousands of people (good chance that someone can succeed).

The questions are rhetorical, the answer is known.

Sorry this guy upsets you so much. 

• Like 1

I have seen students (and teachers) who are clueless in their respective internal arts. If this is real life training, what realistically would you expect from learning from a video by yourself?

1. Find a good teacher (very difficult)

2. Train with effort and discipline for a very long time (lifestyle rather than goal orientated). Even more difficult. 

• Like 1

On 2023. 04. 02. at 12:01 PM, Pak_Satrio said:

-How legit are youtube qigong videos?  

Maybe legit, maybe not

-how beneficial are they?         

-can they do harm in some way (even small one)?       

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t

-are they beneficial qi wise? 

-energetically wise?          

Maybe, maybe not

-are they just good low intensity exercise and that is it  (not "Real qigong") nothing more?   

Maybe, maybe not

-in short - how beneficial are they really? 

Maybe, maybe not

-how far can you take it with them? 

Maybe, maybe not

————————————

Basically you have no idea unless you do them and could waste time practicing something that has no effect, or something that does harm to you. Or it might actually work. 

Just find a good teacher and save yourself the trouble.

How would he know what a good teacher is and where he can find them?

1 hour ago, centertime said:

How would he know what a good teacher is and where he can find them?

Look at the students of anyone claiming to be a teacher and judge by the fruits of their teachings.

• Like 3

I haven’t been practicing consistently  that long but here is what I have found so far to be the most beneficial from a self cultivation perspective (medical might be different IDK) 

- Suggest you find someone who teaches the  foundations - a lot of standing practice hanging flesh off the bones (bones up flesh down) , a lot of sitting practice learning to keep the attention stabilized, how to open laogong and yongquan, ldt and reverse breathing, how to relax and release muscle tension, how to sink the mind and soak the awareness into the body and how to use your attention/awareness to support the process without too much intention/agenda. 

It’s been my experience that if these foundations (and a number of  others) are in place then whatever else you practice - qi gong or internal/external martial arts or yoga - will be a different experience - learning the foundations well , in my opinion, is more important than which set of practices you choose. In fact once foundations are in place your own qi may even  give you feedback on the efficacy of different static and moving sets as well as even how to practice them  - if you listen!  

my opinion based on my limited experience - subject to change as I learn more.

• Like 1

On 02.04.2023 at 10:26 AM, waterdrop said:

How legit are youtube qigong videos ?   how beneficial are they ?          can they do harm in some way (even small one) ?  

Yes, in 99,99 % they will do a harm. It is just impossible to explain all details of correct practice through video even if the practice correct but there is no any authentic teacher who would post it on the youtube. In general there are not much teachers who can share this knowledge and even if a teacher has a method it is transmitted in person.    

4 hours ago, Sahaja said:

I haven’t been practicing consistently  that long but here is what I have found so far to be the most beneficial from a self cultivation perspective (medical might be different IDK) 

- Suggest you find someone who teaches the  foundations - a lot of standing practice hanging flesh off the bones (bones up flesh down) , a lot of sitting practice learning to keep the attention stabilized, how to open laogong and yongquan, ldt and reverse breathing, how to relax and release muscle tension, how to sink the mind and soak the awareness into the body and how to use your attention/awareness to support the process without too much intention/agenda. 

It’s been my experience that if these foundations (and a number of  others) are in place then whatever else you practice - qi gong or internal/external martial arts or yoga - will be a different experience - learning the foundations well , in my opinion, is more important than which set of practices you choose. In fact once foundations are in place your own qi may even  give you feedback on the efficacy of different static and moving sets as well as even how to practice them  - if you listen!  

my opinion based on my limited experience - subject to change as I learn more.

New Age Daoist Mumbo Jumbo Teachings
Looks to me like complete joke and waste of time.

if these are foundations, they are foundations of not having any abilities or skills that are required to partake in the cultivation journey
maybe you will end up smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, though, who knows
for some, it is attainment in life

people should notice no single word about the brain, mental, emotional, ethical and personal development above,
spiritual development? - never going to happen

On 02/04/2023 at 8:26 AM, waterdrop said:

Teaching through online pre-recorded videos is profanation-quackery as there is no real contact between teacher and student. There is no transmission, feedback, tracking, or control. It could be used as extra material, like books, but not as main teaching.
People learning from external materials are usually stuck in superficial layers of self-development practice.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Neirong said:

New Age Daoist Mumbo Jumbo Teachings
Looks to me like complete joke and waste of time.

if these are foundations, they are foundations of not having any abilities or skills that are required to partake in the cultivation journey
maybe you will end up smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, though, who knows
for some, it is attainment in life

people should notice no single word about the brain, mental, emotional, ethical and personal development above,
spiritual development? - never going to happen

Teaching through online pre-recorded videos is profanation-quackery as there is no real contact between teacher and student. There is no transmission, feedback, tracking, or control. It could be used as extra material, like books, but not as main teaching.
People learning from external materials are usually stuck in superficial layers of self-development practice.

For me my practice has been very rewarding and healing and even a bit surprising at times. I hope that yours is the same for you. 

On 2.4.2023 at 10:26 AM, waterdrop said:

I didn't watch those videos, but íf I understood correctly from Damos teaching, correct sinking of the weight to the lower dan tien builds up the huang in the lower dan tien, which enables the chi to stick to the ldt. So if you are being told to sink the weight correctly, you are actually building the container, even if they don't actually say it out loud. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, salaam123 said:

I didn't watch those videos, but íf I understood correctly from Damos teaching, correct sinking of the weight to the lower dan tien builds up the huang in the lower dan tien, which enables the chi to stick to the ldt. So if you are being told to sink the weight correctly, you are actually building the container, even if they don't actually say it out loud. 

Was I incorrect in my understanding about Damos teaching? Edit. I forgot to add that correct breathing to dan tien helps too.

Edited by salaam123