Blissdao9

The Foundation of Cultivation (read with a grain of salt)

I felt the need to make this post, because I feel that in the next coming years, many things will rise to a more intense level, requiring a higher level of awareness and a stable mental state for survival. Of course, this also means an environment that is more suitable for cultivation.

So please take my words with a grain of salt and use whatever that can help you reach your peak of existence and comprehend the truths of the cosmos, and do not allow any nonsense to limit your path. If you just want a simple healthy and vibrant life, please do not take this seriously at all. 

Without Stillness, Emptiness, and All-inclusiveness, one cannot cultivate to the highest peak. Thus, they are the very foundation of cultivation.

In Stillness, Emptiness, and All-Inclusiveness, one can return to one's true nature and thus comprehend the Dao. The deeper one's comprehension of the Dao is, the higher potential height one can reach. This sounds like something out of a martial arts novel, but I can guarantee that this is truly the case. In fact, the so-called "cultivation methods" out there are written full of flaws, with some exceptions with less flaws. Simply, because there is no way to represent the Dao, the way of the cosmos, through words. Hence, I say take my words with a grain of salt, as less than 5% of the words may be of true essence. Following a method may point you in the right direction, but in the end, it is the essence and comprehension of the Dao that matters the most. 

No one can impart it all to us. Perhaps some more than the others.

However, certain melodies and sounds, like mantras, can do the job better, as vibrations are much closer to the Dao than many "flawed" languages. In fact, there are particular notes/melodies that can open one's chakra points. Hence, certain languages designed to mimic the cosmos with sounds rather than to make communication more convenient may be of greater benefit. 

Back to Stillness, Emptiness, and All-Inclusiveness, one can connect with that which is called "Divine Intelligence." This is the intelligence that allows life to prosper and die, operate, and transform.  It is tied to one's intuition or whatever people called the higher mind, profound and undefined. Because it is undefined, it cannot be described with words that limit its meaning, and thoughts are thus pointless in this respect. However, grasping and aligning oneself with this intelligence can allow one to begin "tapping into" the dimensions beyond oneself. 

Why are Stillness, Emptiness, and All-Inclusiveness crucial for this?

Inside each of us is a "still core," that which is linked to everything and is foundation of our entire being. It is the same thing that makes up the cosmos. In order to reach a significant height, we must first start from our foundation and build from it. Just like building the infrastructure of a building, we must stabilize our entire existence from the core before taking any further steps. 

A full cup cannot be filled any further. We must let go of all nonsense before we can begin to accept the truths and all the immense intensities that come with them. The higher the level of cultivation, the greater the responsibility. Likewise, one can think of emptiness as "mimicking" the cosmos, as majority is empty space. In cultivation practices, a quality of emptiness pulls in energies, hence the term "empty force."

All-Inclusiveness is as the term suggest, breaking the boundary and expanding our existence. This is, in a way, a by-product of the first two factors. Once one is able to see beyond the body and mind as oneself, this is when one's true journey really begins. Embracing that which is beyond our vessels is a must for one to connect with the cosmos and comprehend the Dao. As a result, one is able to gather qi through the spirit. 

Hence, although these are brief descriptions that do not even touch upon their true significance, one can more easily align oneself with the cosmos with Emptiness, Stillness, and All-Inclusiveness.

So, why is comprehension of Dao necessary for cultivation to the peak? It is simple. If you do not know how to drive a car, you will likely drive in circles or end up nowhere. If you do not know which direction to go, you will not reach where you want to be. However, being lost is not bad thing. In fact, being lost means that you are unchained, untied to anything, and thus have taken the first step towards your goal. It is the prerequisite to touching upon the Dao. The Dao means "the way of the cosmos," so being guided by the Dao, you will walk down your path, given that you have the will and spirit to do so. 

This is not the whole foundation, but everything is built on top of Emptiness, Stillness, and All-Inclusiveness. And this foundation will be continuously be developed and tempered the whole way, amidst the chaotic waves of the cosmos. But once you have found your path and decide to walk it, look forward and must never falter, especially at higher levels where risks are increasingly higher. 

If you want, digest this knowledge before doing anything. Please ask questions if you have any. Please make suggestions if you can think of any. 

Edited by Blissdao9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Blissdao9 said:

Inside each of us is a "still core," that which is linked to everything and is foundation of our entire being. It is the same thing that makes up the cosmos.

That is the heart of the matter

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Antares said:

But what is your method to attain the "Stillness, Emptiness, and All-Inclusiveness"?

These qualities are already within everyone of us. We just need to find and nurture them.

35 minutes ago, Blissdao9 said:

These qualities are already within everyone of us. We just need to find and nurture them.

This is new age approach. These qualities must be cultivated. The method you are talking about is not the daoist approach. Daoist consider such methods to be wrong methods. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Antares said:

But what is your method to attain the "Stillness, Emptiness, and All-Inclusiveness"?

1 hour ago, Blissdao9 said:

This does not answer the question of what method is used to "find and nurture" these qualities. 

11 hours ago, Antares said:

First control the physical desires.

Then control the emotional desires

Then control the thoughts.

At that point the human persona (mask) can be still.

In that stillness of the persona, the Cosmos can manifest Itself in the human heart.

7 hours ago, Blissdao9 said:

Knew a guy that payed $60 for a lesson in how to play the didgeridoo , the 'teacher' played it for 15 mins and said, " You have always known how to play, its a matter of remembering ."  and walked out  .

I suppose he also taught  subsidiary memory classes  ;  " Memory is just a matter of remembering ."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maddie said:

This does not answer the question of what method is used to "find and nurture" these qualities. 

There are numerous ways to do so. One can do so by simply sitting still. Everything will come along once one can be completely still. 

Answering your question by giving you any longer a response won't do you justice. In fact, I am afraid that my answer may limit your potential and perspective. 

3 hours ago, Lairg said:

In that stillness of the persona, the Cosmos can manifest Itself in the human heart.

While these desires and thoughts need to be managed, they must not be "controlled" but liberated. If one controls their thoughts, they will end up limiting their perspective to what is out there, with a limited perspective of what should or shouldn't be thoughts. We must go past desires and thoughts. Once we are past them, we will naturally be able to manage them. 

9 hours ago, Antares said:

This is new age approach. These qualities must be cultivated. The method you are talking about is not the daoist approach. Daoist consider such methods to be wrong methods. 

Interesting, can you elaborate what is my method?

23 minutes ago, Blissdao9 said:

While these desires and thoughts need to be managed, they must not be "controlled" but liberated.

How can a human refine an uncontrolled persona?  Control comes first and then refinement.

Refinement involves the discarding of denser energies from the persona since these are no longer used.

Friend, I do not disagree with refinement. However, I think that the process is reversed, refinement then "control." Without refining it, utilizing a "persona" will create much greater friction throughout one's daily life, hindering one from going through life vibrantly at full potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blissdao9 said:

I think that the process is reversed, refinement then "control."

Fortunately our legal system disagrees.  Citizens are required to control their passions.  Refinement is optional

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lairg said:

Can you control the hunger? Or sexual desire? If you happen to fall in love with somebody can you control your feelings by your intent?

They say immortals can live without food and even not to feel pain (it might be, not sure tought)... so you believe that ordinary person may have the same control over it just by mental control? If not what is the difference between an immortal and ordinary human beign?

1 minute ago, Antares said:

Can you control the hunger? Or sexual desire? .... ordinary person may have the same control over it just by mental control?

Lots of people can control those.    Dieting is a great hobby.    And some give up sex in the hope of spiritual advancement

I was celibate for more than a year with no erections.   Eventually I understood that close relationships with women was part of my work

The control is not mental.  It is control of physical and emotional energies

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blissdao9 said:

Interesting, can you elaborate what is my method?

I dont know your method but it sounds like new age approach. That means a method which one thinks should work but it is not real attainment. But I personally understand what you are talking about but I just disagree with it. Also any authentic daoist will disagree with this too. Read the article below: 

At the stage of ☞ "laying the foundations," there are differences of initial conditions, age, and physical constitution. The practices, therefore, differ according to each individual. With regard to this point, the alchemical texts distinguish between "superior virtue" (shangde) and "inferior virtue" (xiade). "Superior virtue" refers to childhood and young age; "inferior virtue" refers to adulthood and old age.

According to the principles of alchemy, at a young age the human body grows like a young sprout. Borrowing a term from the Daode jing (Book of the Way and its Virtue), this is called "superior virtue." Spirit and Breath are abundant, and there is no need of performing any practice to build the foundations. After growth and maturity, Essence, Breath, and Spirit become consumed and should be replenished. In the alchemical practice, this is referred to as "inferior virtue": one must provide what is missing.

An alchemical poem says:

"Superior virtue has no doing," and you enter the practice of Xing (Nature):
is there any need of repairing or harmonizing what is damaged or full?

The Cantong qi says:

"Superior virtue has no doing":
it does not use examining and seeking.
"Inferior virtue does":
its operation does not rest.

https://www.goldenelixir.com/jindan/wm_shangde_xiade.html

So what you sugget is non doing but having inferior virture. This does not work this way. New Age authors who publish books these days suggest such methods. But these are just wrong methods which wont work for anyone without authentic daoist cultivation for "building the foundation". Building the foundation is the first important step in daoist internal arts which one cant skip and it implies very specific methods and internal transformations (of energy)  

20 minutes ago, Lairg said:

Lots of people can control those.    Dieting is a great hobby.    And some give up sex in the hope of spiritual advancement

I was celibate for more than a year with no erections.   Eventually I understood that close relationships with women was part of my work

The control is not mental.  It is control of physical and emotional energies

Suppression is not the solution. In the most cases it can lead to deviations. You can save the energy but get the mental or psychological issues. I would disagree that this would be a real control. Dieting can help to reduce the yuan qi loss and assist the general health promotion but it wont make you immortal. You can live long but finally...

3 minutes ago, Antares said:

Suppression is not the solution.

Quite so.  Fortunately I can control my energy bodies without suppression.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lairg said:

Quite so.  Fortunately I can control my energy bodies without suppression.

How does it transform you jing? Just wonder

29 minutes ago, Antares said:

How does it transform you jing?

The more heart-light I give to my chakras including the sacral chakra (lower dan tien) the happier they are and the  more life force they naturally acquire.

If life force is low, it is possible to breathe in life force (chi) into particular organs (e.g. kidneys), leaving the life there on the out-breath.  After a while the intelligence of the physical body (lower dan tien)  performs the exercise without needing any mental attention.

So the process is not about transforming jing, it is about encouraging organs and chakras to absorb life force directly from the cosmos.

Thus the human consciousness is freed for higher functions 

Edited by Lairg

I’m pretty sure starting from turning qi to jing is a cruel foundation albeit one, while an actual foundation is one that disappears quickly.

ego boosting is a very good way to cultivate blockages, whereas “breath of qi” can work if you’re a cruel person.

The foundation of cultivation for one of noble birth is diligent study into three laws. Those of lower birth follow diligent study of hands for their foundation.

It is noted that a cultivators mass mind should not grow larger unless they plan to be the only one there. Qi can be multiplied up but should never be divided down. 

Immortality can be easily gained by renouncing mortality

The more heart-light I give to my chakras including the sacral chakra (lower dan tien) the happier they are and the  more life force they naturally acquire.

Chakras have no relation to dantien. All people have chakras but a minor amount of them have LDT. Also ordinary people dont have LDT. It must be cultivated. And this is not a psychological trick or anything of this sort. One cant get it just with intent or by practising celibacy. But celibacy helps to keep heart-mind more centered and balanced. That' true. This is just preriquisite for building the foundation stage.

If life force is low, it is possible to breathe in life force (chi) into particular organs (e.g. kidneys), leaving the life there on the out-breath.  After a while the intelligence of the physical body (lower dan tien)  performs the exercise without needing any mental attention.

This is post heaven qi you breath in. No real dantien, no transformation here. But it might be good for general health support.  

Edited by Antares
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mithras said:

I cannot understand what you are writing. :blink: 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Antares said:

Chakras have no relation to dantien. …

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

― Mark Twain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobie said:

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

― Mark Twain

Ok, Mark Twain knows better than daoists know about energy cultivation. It is better to quote daoist texts about chakras and so on. BTW what is daoist term for "chakra"? The trouble is that some people mix not only theories, but sometime they mix systems and methods... Then they invent their own "sytems", and running  with  their made up theories and methods spreading them as some revelation. 

• Like 1